X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Rotel 2 ch pre with ht pass thru ?

No, as far as I know they dont make one. Rotel that is.

However, with all the talk about 2 channel preamps with home theatre pass thru (or bypass) and the benefits of such units, I was thinking that perhaps Rotel should consider this with any future 2 channel pre amps.

From all the talk around here it sounds like not only are they good but they would also be very popular.

Perhaps any replacement that comes out for the 1090 preamp will have ht pass thru?

anyone know anything about this option and if Rotel have considered it for their units?

Pete
  • Bluespower
    • Sep 2005

I don't know if they're considering it, but in my mind they would be foolish to overlook it.

Six weeks ago I bought the ModWright SWL 9.0SE stereo pre amp (tube hybrid) to marry to my 1068. It integrates beautifully and the stereo reproduction is fantastic. The ModWright is to the 1068 what the 1068 (in bypass) was to my Marantz 7400. I'm in tall cotton now... a real stereo and surround sound.
    Bluespower

Comment

• gianni
      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Bluespower
      I don't know if they're considering it, but in my mind they would be foolish to overlook it.

Six weeks ago I bought the ModWright SWL 9.0SE stereo pre amp (tube hybrid) to marry to my 1068. It integrates beautifully and the stereo reproduction is fantastic. The ModWright is to the 1068 what the 1068 (in bypass) was to my Marantz 7400. I'm in tall cotton now... a real stereo and surround sound.
      A little more feedback on the Modwright vs the 1068 would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Midnite Mick
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by gianni
        A little more feedback on the Modwright vs the 1068 would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Yes please, as I have my eye on that one as well.

Mike

Comment

• Bluespower
          • Sep 2005

This is going to be a little lengthy, so please bear with me. I'm over 50 and have gotten to a point where I can have some nice toys, but not to a point where I have the space and the means to have two separate systems at the level I'd like to. I've always loved music and have had better than average stereos since high school. Several years ago I got excited about concert videos and DVD-As. I bought a nice AV receiver (Marantz SR-7400) and 600 series B&Ws (DM603s, LCR600, DS6s). This worked well until I got the bug last year to go separates and entered the Rotel world (1068/1095). When I bought the Rotel gear I thought I was THERE (within the price point I was will to consider). What I wasn't prepared for was how good the 1068 sounded when playing two channel material (bypass mode). The quality of the sound combined with the belly flop of DVD-As (have most that I really wanted) reinvigorated my interest in stereo.

Over the winter (in a thread piloted by Geoff) I became obsessed with the idea of having a two channel pre incorporated into the system. Integrating a conventional pre amp sounded like a hassle (having to set the two channel volume control to a "history mark") each time you wanted to use surround. After doing a lot of research, I discovered a handful of stereo pre amps that had the "pass thru" feature that would make everything work the way that I wanted. After agonizing over the prices, reviews, feedback, etc I rolled the dice and ordered the ModWright SWL 9.0SE.

The ModWright is a tube/solid state hybrid and is simplicity at its finest. It has remote control for volume and mute, that's it. When it is first powered on the volume control returns to zero and the mute circuit is activated. It takes about 45 seconds for the tubes to warm up and then it switches out of mute mode. I bought the Rotel RLC-900 to control the power-up/shut-down of the gear (works great). I have my RCD-1072 cabled to the ModWright and my RDV-1060 to the RSP-1068. Now when I power up the system the default is a pure two channel system. When I want surround, I turn on the 1068/1060 and flip one switch on the ModWright (PassThru). When the PassThru is active the volume control on the ModWright is deactivated and the system volume is controlled by the 1068. Couldn't be simpler and I couldn't be happier.

I'm not going to try and compete with the professional reviews and their vocabulary of flowery terms to describe the sound. It is silky smooth and more forceful with bass than the 1068. Dan Wright supplies Tung Sol 5687 tubes and describes them as the best all-around tubes for the unit. The Jan Phillips 5687 tubes also work and are supposed to provide a slightly brighter sound. I have a pair of these but have not been tempted to swap out the Tung Sols yet. Tube life is supposed to be on the order of 3,000 hours.

I really need to thank my wife for letting me go through this last system overhaul (been quite a few swaps over the last few years). The cork in the bottle is a new set B&W 804s I got last week. Diana Krall, Steely Dan, Jimmy Smith never sounded better...
          Bluespower

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Not only are you a clever guy, you have good taste in music too!
            I’m surprised you can tear yourself away from that system to even make a quick post!
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Bluespower
              • Sep 2005

Aughh shucks... Blues and light jazz are my favorites but I listen to everything from Beatles to Zappa if it's done well (heavy metal and rap not so respectfully excluded). Got a little Otis Spann playing right now...
              Bluespower

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"