Are there any new stereo preamps coming along?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ossi
    • Jul 2003

Are there any new stereo preamps coming along?

Does someone know if there will be a replacement for the RC 1090? I am looking into a preamplifier that might be better than the stereo part of the RSP 1098. My guess is that the RC 1070 is not an option and the RC 1090 as been discontinued in the US so that I guess it will vanish in the EU in the near future. So, is there something like an RC 1091 coming along? :B
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

I've been wondering about this too. Rotel now has a gap in their offerings as far as 2 ch preamps go. Hopefully there will be some news on this soon. In the meantime, I'm starting to look at preamps from other lines - the 1070 is good for the money but I do not think it is enough of an improvement over my Rotel receiver.

Comment

• JDH
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by gianni
      I've been wondering about this too. Rotel now has a gap in their offerings as far as 2 ch preamps go. Hopefully there will be some news on this soon. In the meantime, I'm starting to look at preamps from other lines - the 1070 is good for the money but I do not think it is enough of an improvement over my Rotel receiver.
      If and when it comes out, it would be good if it had a Home Theatre Pass Through feature and a different IR code to their other AV gear.
      Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Bluespower
        • Sep 2005

I just went down this road over the last several weeks and ended up with the ModWright 9.0SE pre amp (hybrid tube/solid state). It has the HT Bypass and integrates beautifully with my 1068/1095. I now have a real two channel stereo and a surround system.

As far as two channel goes, it is to my 1068 what the 1068 was to my Marantz. I'm lovin' it....
        Bluespower

Comment

• audiocvk
          • Apr 2006

Europe is really lucky to still have the RC-1090 available for the time being. They are harder to find in the US with it being discontinued, but some Rotel Dealers may have one in previous stock.

I'm also hoping that Rotel will offer a continued replacement for the RC-1090 for the 2-channel market but with all the multi-channel popularity, makes one wonder but I'm hoping Rotel continues their excellent offerings in this aspect.

Comment

• Ossi
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by JDH
            If and when it comes out, it would be good if it had a Home Theatre Pass Through feature and a different IR code to their other AV gear.
            I definitely support the Theatre pass through feature. I am looking to have this feature too. The only option that promises to be a good upgrade in that terms from the stereo section of the RSP 1098 is a Krell KAV 280pre. But expensive, even used. I will be looking in the older Krell Kav 250pre in the meantime.

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Ossi
              I definitely support the Theatre pass through feature. I am looking to have this feature too. The only option that promises to be a good upgrade in that terms from the stereo section of the RSP 1098 is a Krell KAV 280pre. But expensive, even used. I will be looking in the older Krell Kav 250pre in the meantime.
              The Krell's are an option but by no means the only option.

Comment

• Ossi
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by gianni
                The Krell's are an option but by no means the only option.
                Yes, there are others. But remember that the variety of choices in Europe is not the same as in the US. In the US, the theatre pass through is a more and more common feature on products sold on the US market only. Looking at European High End manufacturers, these are still in their stereo only thinking and rather snobbish on giving HT an entrance. And if they really do, than those are most often own brand solutions not compatible with other brands.
                So that looking at the possibilities, I am rather focuses on solutions that are available in Europe and that are affordable. By no mean would I buy a brand new Krell, but on the used market, prices are rather ok. However, I am not in a rush and would be pleased to see Rotel announce something in that direction.
                By the way, there seems to be quite a renaissance off "stereo only" in Europe. I am under the impression that people get a bit tired of this entire HT thing.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Ossi
                  Does someone know if there will be a replacement for the RC 1090? I am looking into a preamplifier that might be better than the stereo part of the RSP 1098. My guess is that the RC 1070 is not an option and the RC 1090 as been discontinued in the US so that I guess it will vanish in the EU in the near future. So, is there something like an RC 1091 coming along? :B
                  Yes. Rotel has this in the works, as a high end pre-amp targeted to sell with their RB=1080, RB-1091 and RB-1092 amps. Think US RRP of about $2000 (e.g. $1,999) and aimed to be competative with pre-amps at twice the price...

Geoff

Comment

• miket
                    • Oct 2004

Hello Geoff,

have you any indication of a timeframe?
                    Will it be similar in appearance/features as the RC-1090?

thank you in advance for any further info,
                    MikeT

Comment

• gianni
                      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                      Yes. Rotel has this in the works, as a high end pre-amp targeted to sell with their RB=1080, RB-1091 and RB-1092 amps. Think US RRP of about $2000 (e.g. $1,999) and aimed to be competative with pre-amps at twice the price...

Geoff

Geoff,

Was talking to Rotel support about another issue and happened to ask them about a rc1090 replacement. Their answer was that the replacement was in the long term planning stages - meaning we would not see it for about another year or so.

Do you know anymore?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

Gianni,

Earlier this year Rotel told their dealers to expect it later this year as part of this years announcements of 10 series products...

However Rotel have a history of slipping their early announced dates as they search for the sound that they are known for (tweaking the product) or iron out issues with new technology. Look at the 1 year delay with the RB-1091 and RB-1092 t get the Rotel sound "just right"). Given the raft of high end HDMI processors and Receivers etc that Rotel are working on, and the limited demand these days for high end pure stereo - I would not be surprised to see that they have slipped the new pre-pro into 2007

Geoff
                        Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 20 April 2006, 04:37 Thursday. Reason: Corrected some typos

Comment

• Ossi
                          • Jul 2003

If I remember this right, than all the HT products are designed in the US but all the classic stereo equipment is design in the UK. Is this still correct? At least it was some time ago. Ok, let’s not talk about where the products are build. :B

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"