X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • photoman
    • Apr 2006

bi-wiring rear speakers

First thanks for the input on touchy topic of cables in my earlier post. When something is that touchy (threads get shutdown) it should raise flags. Dealer did throw in a couple of good interconnects; the rest I just took the forums advice and used those vendors.

My new not so sensitive question is: is it worth while to bi-wire the rear channel speakers (805s). The rears will only be used in a 5.1 setting. I've bi-wired my fronts and center. Doesn't seem like it would be worth while as it's my understand that only sound effects and background noises come through those rears?

Again, thanks.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

If you felt it was worth bi-wiring the fronts, then it's worth bi-wiring the rears. The with Dolby Digital and DTS the surrounds are playing a bigger part these days. If you start getting into multi-channel music, they're even a bigger part.

Kevin D.

Comment

• photoman
      • Apr 2006

thanks, I plan on exploring multi-channel sound; guess bi-wiring the rears makes more sense now. In multi-channel music CD's do you hear music in the rears as part of the track or only sound effects type sounds?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Depends on the producer. Some will just have reverb and crowd noise, while other might have vocals, instruments, etc..

Kevin D.

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

The biggest benefit in bi-wiring is tighter low bass. You need to ask yourself how much low bass you expect out of the 805s. I'm willing to bet you would never be aware of the difference.
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• H.Donald
            • Aug 2004

I don't want to open up a can of worms,but.....we can debate all day on the merits of bi-wiring.
            Here was my little adventure....last year I purchased a nice pair of cables.I won't mention any names but they are very "straight" wired.Shortly after that,I ran across a great deal for the same cables,only in bi-wired.So,I decided to keep all four cables and use them across the front.

But which to use for the mains,and which for the center?I spent weeks switching back and fourth...for a couple of weeks I would use the bi-wires for the mains and a single for the center.Then,I would switch them around and use the bi-wire for the center.

I honestly could not tell much of a difference,if any.Perhaps my ears are not as in tune as some...

But,to answer the question....I wound up using the bi-wires for the mains,but I am in no hurry to bi-wire my center,surrounds or rears.

As they say...your mileage may vary.

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
              The biggest benefit in bi-wiring is tighter low bass. You need to ask yourself how much low bass you expect out of the 805s. I'm willing to bet you would never be aware of the difference.
              I agree. It's often hard for me to tell much difference on my mains, much less the surround channels. I'd rather put the extra money elsewhere.

That said, you need to do what you feel sounds the best. If you listen to multi-channel music, then maybe there is some merit to bi-wiring the rears.
              Danish

Comment

• photoman
                • Apr 2006

After reading this, and talking to the good folks at B&W alias Rotel as well; they recommended just run a straight cable to the rears.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"