X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Madd
    • Jan 2003

RSP 1066 to 7.1 question

I have the RSP 1066 & RMB 1075 combo. I have been wanting to go to 7.1 by adding the RB 1070. I am wondering if anyone one is running 7.1 and how it sounds? How is the Rotel XS? Does it work for all Digital formats like it is suppose to. Are the Center back rears real pronounced? Is it worth getting Timbre matching CB rears? Is it worth getting the RB 1070 amp or something smaller?
    Sorry for all the questions but this will be somewhat of a costly investment to do.

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Madd how much of an improvment 6 or 7.1 will make depends on how you have your surrounds currently set up, the type of speakers you're presently using and the shape/size of your room. Basically if you have your surrounds at the side positions and if your room is wide or you have multiple rows of seating then adding a rear centre can really make a difference. If your room is really wide then 7.1 makes sense but if its fairly narrow (10-15) feet then IMO 6.1 is all you need. I've had both in my room and really the 6.1 works better for me given the location of the door on my back wall and yes IMO 6.1 can add a lot to some soundtracks. Rotels XS processing works so well that more often then not I don't bother going to look for the discrete DTS track if its there since XS on top of a 5.1 mix sounds so good. (My DVD player automatically pics the DD 5.1 mix)

Comment

• Madd
      • Jan 2003

Andrew,
      My room is 19X24. One row of seating and I sit about 9 ft from the back wall. I run with side mounted rears. So I know I should benefit going to 7.1, but should I Timbre match to the front speakers? Should I go with the RB 1070 or maybe RB 1050. How pronounced is the CB sound?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

i would definatly timber match the fronts (esp the centre). The CB's vary from being vary depending on the material being played. i find a lot of the times its more a case that they simply help to fill in the rear so its not really noticeable until you turn them off which is a good thing IMO. Occasionally though you'll really hear them kick in if the DVD has been encoded well and there's a scene that calls for a front back fly over etc.

Comment

• Madd
          • Jan 2003

Andrew,
          My fronts are all Timbre matched already, Mains and center. The question was, should I Timbre match the CB's to the fronts? Also what about the Amp can I go with the RB 1050 or should I go with the RB 1070 seeing I have the RMB 1075? Timbre matching will cost extra bucks and so will the RB 1070.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
            • Oct 2002

I was in your shoes 3 months ago. I'm using a RMB-1095 for front, center, and surrounds. For the 2 back centers (2 Paradigm Studio-20) I choose the RB-1050, because anything else will be overkill. I mean, the sound coming from those is really minimal, and just ambient sounds. And Rotel being really conservative with power rating, the RB-1050, IMOH, was more then enough for those back centers.

Since then, I'm really happy I didn't spend to much money for ambient sounds only.
            To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Madd
              • Jan 2003

levesque ,
              Thanks for the post. I was leaning towards the RB 1050 because of the price, but I was thinking of moving my Studio 20's to the CB and getting the 40's or 60's for the fronts. Then again I really love the sound of the 20's period. I think the 60's do not sit up high enough only 37 1/2 inches, that leaving the tweeter very low. Also when I listened to the 60's I thought the 20's sounded better plus I have the PW2200 sub. I have not listened to the 40's yet. Is that RB 1050 enough to drive those Studio 20's? Think I should go with the 40's for the fronts? Then I need a new set of stands :roll: This hobby is getting out of hand & wallet

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                • Oct 2002

I think I can help you here. I was using Studio-20 in front, and was really satisfied. Then I had a good deal on Studio-40, so I sent the 20 behind. The difference was really noticeable, particularly with the midrange. Then I had a deal on the Studio-100 (non-stoppable case of upgradatis accousticallis). Put the Studio-40 for surround, and the 20 from surrounds to back centers. I'm using a Servo-15 and Studio-CC.

Ok. So what's the difference between Studio-100 and 40. First, the imaging is huge, almost going out of the room! Then the soundstage is a lot wider. I think the 40's need to be more "tweak", I mean to find the soft spot. The 100 are more forgiving. Put them in front, 6-7 feets apart, and everyone (I got 5 sitting place) can hear good sound, compare to the 40.

But it,s more a matter of taste. Alot of people prefer the 40 to the 100. Me, I'm not going back. For DVD-A and SACD (I got over 50 titles), the 100 are unbeatable in full-range.

The 40's are awesome speakers, but the 100's are giving me a little bit more of what I like. But you should try both at home, or the 60's, and decide by yourself.

BTW, on the Paradigm site, they specify the Suitable Amplifier Power Range between 15-150W and the Maximum Input Power at 100W, so with the RB-1050 at 70W (remember that Rotel is REALLY conservative with power ratings) you are exactly there for the 20's. And remember, back centers are never playing hard like the front speakers (ambient sounds).
                To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Madd
                  • Jan 2003

levesque
                  Did you mount those 20's on brackets? Im going to go out today and hopefully listen to the 40's if the dealer has them in stock. Most carry the 20's , 60's and 100's.

Well, called 5 dealers and none stock the 40's :roll: What the ?
                  They have 20s,60s,100's.
                  So I dont know what to do at this point, need to hear the 40's. People say they sound better then the 60's with a better midrange . One dealer said " I have only ordered 3 pair of the 40's" since I have been seeling Paradigm.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                    • Oct 2002

I didn't mount them on brackets, but I built a custom made wood stand fill with sand.

Comment

• Madd
                      • Jan 2003

How high is that stand? Should the CB's be level with the CC and Rears? Thats what I thought. Then I would need brackets to mount them.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                        • Oct 2002

After reading a lot, I went with the Dolby solution. I have the surrounds and the back centers 2 feet higher then my ears at my listening place. So a little bit higher then my CC (I got a 65" RPTV so CC is a little bit high sitting on top of it). So the tweeters of the 40's and the 20's are all 2 feet higher then my ears.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"