X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ecthelion
    • Jan 2006

rb 1080 or krell 400xi?????????????????

how you doing guys ?since rb 1090 is hard to get (at least for me ) i was thinking to go with his little brother Rb 1080 and rc 1070 but few days ago i ran into nice review of krell's integrated amp 400xi as wellasrotel 200 watts i was wondering which one would make me feel better does any one have listen to thoes units and could let me know how they compare?????????thank you for your answer
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Krell, no questions asked

Comment

• Audiophiliac
      • Apr 2006

Krell no contest. The 400xi is probably one of the best values out there. For what you get for the money, it cant be beat IMHO.

I have installed several, one with a 1068/1066 combo (1066 bridged for center channel and rears), and the 400xi on the fronts using the HT bypass. It was incredible.

I remember the first 400xi I installed on a pair of Martin Logan Aeon i, and the lady wanted to know how high the volume readout went. I said "I think 100, but I dont know for sure, just start turning it and see when it stops." Well it goes to 151. And music WAS playing in the other room. And it was LOUD and CLEAR and nothing broke.

Short answer: Get the Krell.

Comment

• Joey_V
        • Jul 2005

I'm going to say that the Krell is better than the 1080, but against the 1090, I would gladly take the 1090 home.

Not superbly impressed with the way the Krells handle the Logans at that price point.
        Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
        Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Joey_V
          Not superbly impressed with the way the Krells handle the Logans at that price point.
          As another Summit owner, I'm not sure you would be impressed with the 1090 either. It's rounded (typical of most Rotel) top end really chokes off The Summit's potential.
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• chinets
            • Jun 2005

Rotel 1090 or 1095 if you use 5 channel. Krell too expensive and does the same or less when comapred to these two Rotels but at a higher price. I prefer Rotel that has better base IMHO!! And the prices of Rotel cannot be beat. Krell is loud but not as smooth as Rotel IMO!!
            Chinets

Comment

• ecthelion
              • Jan 2006

i did not mention my speakers ...i use klipsch rf 7 only 2 channel

Comment

• chinets
                • Jun 2005

If you use 2 channel...take the Rotel 1090 by far. More poweful than Krell, smoother than Krell ,and the best part, WAY CHEAPER!!!!!!!!!!! Than Krell. Your best choice especially with Klipsch. I have got Klipsch and B and W speakers, and I can tell you that Klipsch speakers LOVE Rotel and work together beautifully and in Harmony. GO FOR ROTEL and day IMHO!

Comment

• ecthelion
                  • Jan 2006

as i said rb 1090 would be hard for me to get thats why my choice was leanning towards rb 1080 or krell 400xi ...iwish i could get 1090 but my dealer does not have it anymore

Comment

• DrJRapp
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2003

I used to have RF7s and enjoyed them for years on an RB1080.

Since you are a 2 channel rig, for about the same $$ as a 1090 you could get 2 NuForce Ref9 monoblocks and knock the sox off both the rotel and krell. The Ref9s really do wonders to bring the 2/ 10" LF drivers of the RF 7s to life.

You may also want to consider a crossover mod to take the edge off the 3Khz ring that the 7s have.

With the Ref9s and crossover mods, the RF7s can't get any better!
                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• ecthelion
                      • Jan 2006

what pre amp would you suggest with Ref9s?

Comment

• DrJRapp
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003

If you can afford it do as I did. I have a Shanling CDT100 which has digital volume controls. I run the analog tube output directly to the Ref9s. The Shanling does great things to warm up the midrange on the RF7s, which, as a 2 way design lack precision and passion in that area. With the moded RF7s the results will be absolutely stunning. I've been there and done that. Incredible low distortion and noise, dynamic range to die for and the best part is the nuances will be clear and well defined. That setup gives me 95% of what I get out of the same setup and my $10K ML Summits.

If you still insist on haveing a preamp, NuForce makes a dandy in the P8.
                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• ecthelion
                          • Jan 2006

ref9s+shanling cdt100 4k$....ref9s and p8 3500$...both rb 1090 and krell 400xi we talking 2500$(with lets say rc 1070) is it worth it another 1000-1500$??????????????????????

Comment

• DrJRapp
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ecthelion
                            is it worth it another 1000-1500$??????????????????????
                            You betcha! The CDT100C is a true audiophile grade CD player. It will crush a 1072, let alone a 1070. PLUS it just looks sooooo good. (see my avitar).

My Shanling cost me $1550, and the 2 Ref9s $1800 that with 2 RF7s at let's say $ 1800 what you have for five grand is nothing short of a world class 2 channel system.
                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• ecthelion
                              • Jan 2006

i want to make it clear i dont need a pre amp with ref 9s if i have shanling cd player?
                              by the way it wont be easy for me to find both units here in chicago i i dont have much of choice unless you guys know the place?!

Comment

• kurtholz
                                • Feb 2005

what, did someone compare Krell to Rotel, Chinet's your killing me, it's like comparing a ferrari to a kia

no way does the Krell lack in bass, at least not the Krells i use, just sold my 1095 i was able to compare it to Krells home theater standard 5 channel extensively, it was a significant upgrade, even at $5000 more, it was certainly a diminishing return factor, but a huge difference

Chinets, how can you say that, Rotel sounds better, i thought i taught you better, all that time and money i have put into your schooling just hasnt paid off

hahahhaha

regards

Kurt

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ecthelion
                                  i want to make it clear i dont need a pre amp with ref 9s if i have shanling cd player?
                                  100% correct!

My current 2 channel system

Shanling CDT 100>NuForce Ref 9.02s>B&W XT4

The remote for the Shanling has a volume control.
                                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Joey_V
                                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by kurtholz
                                    what, did someone compare Krell to Rotel, Chinet's your killing me, it's like comparing a ferrari to a kia

no way does the Krell lack in bass, at least not the Krells i use, just sold my 1095 i was able to compare it to Krells home theater standard 5 channel extensively, it was a significant upgrade, even at $5000 more, it was certainly a diminishing return factor, but a huge difference

Chinets, how can you say that, Rotel sounds better, i thought i taught you better, all that time and money i have put into your schooling just hasnt paid off

hahahhaha

regards

Kurt
                                    KIA?

I dont think so.... if you call the 1090 a KIA, you better be comparing it to the FPB700cx or Plinius SA250 or Pass Labs X350 or Levinson no33 or Halcro 38/68. I think you have your hyperbole set to "too much".

1090 may have its sonic signature and this may be preferrable to some or not.... but to call the 1090 Rotel a KIA compared to the entry level Krell 400xi (a Ferrari?) is downright insulting. The 400xi, as Jerry says, may be better suited to his ears, but it doesnt mean the 1090 isnt comparable. What sounds good to one man, may not to another. The Summits through the 400xi isnt exactly my dream setup.

Careful which you call a kia.... and laughing afterwards.
                                    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                                      • Apr 2006

I like Musical Fidelity hybrid stuff with ML, as well as Classe.....Krell does really great, but what I really love behind the 'stats is some full on tubes. VTL style. Play some vinyl on that. Its wild.

Comment

• chinets
                                        • Jun 2005

Hi Kurt,
                                        I was comparing Krell 400xi with Rotel 1090 ,and Joey V is right, you can't put down Rotel and compare it to a KIA especially comparing it with the Krell Entry level.
                                        I have Krell too but the top end ,and that is great, but I still love the smooth signature sound of Rotel with Jazz etc compared to Krell. Krell to me has a harsh sound and the bass of Rotel and Krell are the same in my opinion ,but Krell sounds better with rock but NOT jazz. The Bass of Rotel is more natural IMHO while Krell is exagerated. Different person different ears as Joey V put it ,and I won't put either Krell or Rotel down because they are both great.
                                        Kurt, You have to believe in Rotel my friend and stop playing all that ACDC and Back Sabbath stuff on your Sony/Krell hook up???? Just kidding!!! All is good!! I just knew if I mentioned anything on Krell I could hunt you down on this forum. Send me an E-Mail pal..Whats up?????????

Comment

• kurtholz
                                          • Feb 2005

1090 may have its sonic signature and this may be preferrable to some or not.... but to call the 1090 Rotel a KIA compared to the entry level Krell 400xi (a Ferrari?) is downright insulting.

Careful which you call a kia.... and laughing afterwards.

Don't get worked up in a lather, i was just pushing Chinet's button's,( we have talked many times) he didn't take the bait, only you, i should have just emailed him my prank in private

It's so subjective , what is what,however you did read the part where i mentioned for $5000 more the Krell Theater standard was at a point of small diminishing return, compared to the 1095

it's not a huge difference, but there is a difference, but it's a lot more money, i'm sure there are many other choices that would compare or better, getting total system synergy is what it takes, one part ( the amp) is only a piece of the puzzle

as to your advice and your being insulted, just have to shrug my shoulders on that one, the reply i would normally make isn't appropriate , so i'll just let you deal with that internally

Kurt

Comment

• Joey_V
                                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by kurtholz

as to your advice and your being insulted, just have to shrug my shoulders on that one, the reply i would normally make isn't appropriate , so i'll just let you deal with that internally

Kurt
                                            Dont worry, I'm shrugging my shoulders too.

Comment

• chinets
                                              • Jun 2005

Kurt,
                                              I think you took the bait pal!!!!!!!!!!
                                              Keep in touch!!
                                              I'm shrugging my shoulders at you too Kurt!!!!!!!!!
                                              Happy Easter to you and the family,
                                              Chinets

Comment

• ecthelion
                                                • Jan 2006

?????i know allready that 1090 is better im asking again how 400xi compers to 1080 is the extra 1000$ on krell worth a try

Comment

• chinets
                                                  • Jun 2005

My answer to ecthelion regarding your above comment on Krell ,and the answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not worth that extra $1,000 for Krell IMHO!!!

Comment

• audiocvk
                                                    • Apr 2006

I also prefer the Rotel RB-1090 over the Krell for my own personal liking.

Comment

• audiocvk
                                                      • Apr 2006

ecthelion,

Rotel is known to go very well with Klipsch. There are many running the Klipsch RF-5 and RF-7's from Rotel RB-1080 and RB-1090. If you can try and have a listen for yourself between the Rotel RB-1080 and Krell 400xi than you can decide which you like better and if you are willing to pay the extra $$$. I do know that Rotel gives the Klipsch RF-7's the slight warmness they need not to sound too bright for some.
                                                      Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Comment

• obiwan
                                                        • Jul 2005

I borrowed the Krell400xi and it was truly no better than my Rotel Michi pre-power combo. I ended up getting the BelCanto eVo2i.

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                          • Jul 2005

After searching for a long time... ecthelion has the setup he always wanted.

He just bought my Rotel RC1070 and RB1090! Good luck with them guys, Mario! Have fun!

Let us know what you think... I'm sure it's a good improvement.

The RB1090 is an awesome amp... it can scale very very well with preamps, get tubes one day.

Joey

PS
                                                          I guess I need to change my sig...

Comment

• ecthelion
                                                            • Jan 2006

its awsome man !!! me and my wife got home late i set it up everything and told my wife that i listen to 2 songs and im done..yeah right 2 hours later i was still there with the stupid smile on my face(forget recievers when it comes to 2 channel)...thank you joey good stuff im gonna take a look at tube pre and probably cd as well later on but now im coming back to my room for some more :T ps. joey is a good man everybody treat him with respect!!!!i know his young but boy he knows a lot...

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                              • Jul 2005

Glad to hear you like it Mario... awesome! The beauty is... the amp is like a tank... you can never use up the power reserves and that baby will scale with ANY preamp. Once you save up.. go for something like the Rogue that I have or a Cary (that I'm looking at) then it's game over.

Glad to have met you yesterday night.. hopefully the Tube/Plinius demo was pretty good sounding with all things considered (small room).

Joey

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"