X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wheelz7
    • Nov 2005

RSP1068 or wait

Hi guys thinking of getting a pre/pro to replace my yammie 730 that im using as a pre now with my 1075 and 1080 amps,should i get the 1068 or is it being upgraded soon and should i wait for the next model? your thoughts appreciated.
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Depends on your priorities. If you abolutely have to have HDMI switching, then you need to wait. Otherwise, the 1068 is a great unit that will be viable for many more years. I currently use one, and have no intention of upgrading any time soon...especially with all the issues I've read about with the different HDMI specifications, etc.

Also, price-wise, you can usually get some good deals on used units from audiogon.com.
    Brad

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Wheels,

Enjoy those amps Chirs

I the RSP-1068 is being replaced in the USA later this year or early 2007 with a new model supporting HDMI upscaling and (subject to software) the new HD-DD and HD-DTS formats... Not 100% but likly this will include room EQ as well. Typically this unit will arrive in Australia 3-4 months later... Sound wise - there is not expected to be much difference...

So if you need the new HDMI for your TV and fancy going to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray in the short tem - then wait for the RSP-1069... (think next year for Aussie) and spend your money now on some better speakers... Knowing your set-up - This will also make a huge difference...

However if you want something now that will bring the music to life - get the RSP-1068 and wait 3-4 years before changing TVs etc (3-4 years is all most people with upgraditis can keep their pre-pros!) - Mind you the new speakers will then be high on the list!!!!

Geoff

Comment

• deke
        • Dec 2005

Can someone clear up this point for me... I have always been confused about the term upconversion.

When Rotel says it upconverts, does it actually add info and resolution to a source (interpolate etc.) or does it just pass through a signal from one format to another (I would call that switching)? In other words, will my S-Video signal upconverted to component video through the Rotel look any better?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Video conversion (which the 1068 does) just converts the signal over to a different cable type. It will not improve the picture, and in some cases can degrade it.

Video scaling (which the new models will most likely have) changes the resolution of the image and will improve the image. The extent of the improvement will depend on the source, the display, and the quality of the scaler in the unit.

Kevin D.

Comment

• nikos
            • Dec 2005

....or you can get the 1057 now that has HDMI switching (it just passes the signal in HDMI to your TV/projector) and then later get the next gen 1068...with all the bells and whistles. You also get an amp and tuner....

I have no info on that Yammie you're replacing...

The way Rotel keeps its value you'll won't be out much, when the upgrade is necessary. To make it even better...do a search on 1056 vs 1068 threads on this forum...many people have argued that there is not much sonic difference between the 2 ....and others ofcourse have argued the opposite The 1057 is the upgraded 1056 that just added HDMI switching incase you were not aware...

I have never done the direct comparison...so I'm just putting it out there and not stating my opinion.

Nick
            Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• wheelz7
              • Nov 2005

Thanks for your input guys,think i'll go have a listen to the 1068 im not that fussed about hdmi switching and will probably be awhile before HD/Blue ray get sorted out properly and down to a reasonable price.

Geoff i will have a listen to a few different speakers when im there just to see how much im missing or improvement i can make, by the way did you know "sound advice" now stock rotel.

ps Geoff enjoying amps very much and im sure any upgrade will give me even more pleasure from them.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Wheelz,

Excellent. Sound Advice are a good store - but very small. Aussie Hi Fi also stock Rotel in Perth now... My favourite remains Vince Ross - but he's a friend of 25 years and I get great price and service...

Between the 3 you will hear some world class speakers...

You can also try Surround Sounds in Nedlands for their B&W range (I could see some B&W 600 or 700 series in your life )

Geoff

Comment

• calmac
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                  Wheelz,

Excellent. Sound Advice are a good store - but very small. Aussie Hi Fi also stock Rotel in Perth now... My favourite remains Vince Ross - but he's a friend of 25 years and I get great price and service...

Between the 3 you will hear some world class speakers...

You can also try Surround Sounds in Nedlands for their B&W range (I could see some B&W 600 or 700 series in your life )

Geoff
                  I second the vote for Vince Ross but then I worked for him for a number of years.Vince is one of the few people in the industry in Perth who remains a commited enthusiast & music lover , he knows what he is talking about.
                  Gordon

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"