X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrispy35
    • Feb 2004

RMB-1066 or 3xRB-1050?

Hi all,

I'm planning on moving to external amps in the hope of one day getting a dedicated AV processor.

The obvious all-in-one solution to start with is the RMB-1066. Has anyone used this amp? Has anyone used it in bridged mode? How would it compare to 3 RB-1050's?

Chris P.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I used my 1066 for a few days in six channel mode until my new 1095 got here.. Worked well all though I didn't spend much time with the temporary setup. I've been using 4 of the channels bridged into 2 for my center rears and it does fairly well keeping up with my 1095.. Just watch out for low ohm loads. You can't go much below 8ohms with the 1066 bridged..

Kevin D.

Comment

• ht_addict
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Kevin D
      I used my 1066 for a few days in six channel mode until my new 1095 got here.. Worked well all though I didn't spend much time with the temporary setup. I've been using 4 of the channels bridged into 2 for my center rears and it does fairly well keeping up with my 1095.. Just watch out for low ohm loads. You can't go much below 8ohms with the 1066 bridged..

Kevin D.
      Chris I had a 1066 matched with a Denon 1801 and then a Marantz AV560U pre/pro. It did its job very well with both. When I had the denon I tried bridging the 6 channels and used that to power the fronts. I threw everything but the kitchen sink at it and it didn't even flinch. It performed flawless with Saving Private Ryan DTS and other heavy action movies. At the time the amp was powering Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC350. Now off course dedicated amps would be better than bridged just because you wouldn't have a problem with lower ohm loads. This is something you can't control over the audio spectrum as ohmn load changes with frequency. As long as your starting out with 8 ohmn speakers you should be fine. I was sorry to see the amp go but a sweetheart deal on the 1095 fell into my lap($1500CDN with 9yr warranty 8O 8O )

Kevin

Comment

• hanser
        • May 2002

you can also try to use just 3 channels in unbridged mode and leave the other 3 free. Or use the other 3 for biamping. This is, what I do with my B&W CDM 7NT and center. Excellent results.

Comment

• chrispy35
          • Feb 2004

Bi-amping instead of bridging, what a good idea. I hadn't even thought of that. My only concern up to this point has been the limited load handling in bridged mode but if I can get some power increase when going to 3 channels by by-amping then I think that will suit me fine with any load I throw at it.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I vote bi-amp too Bridging is generally not a good option IMO.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"