X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boroty
    • Feb 2008

803D with Denon 4308 & Rotel Amp

I am in the process of buying a new home system. I love the 803D's and and debating between them & 803s. However, I want to be able to amply drive them. If I go with a Classe system, my budget forces me to downgrade speakers. What I would like to do is hook up a Denon 4308 with either a Rotel RB1080 to the 803D's or bi-amping 2 RB 1072's with these speakers. Will either of these scenarios suffice or am I fooling myself.
  • dmccombs
    • Sep 2006

Am I understanding your choices to be the 803s + Classe, vs. 803D + Denon/Rotel?

Comment

• boroty
      • Feb 2008

Essentially yes that is my choice. I like both recievers, but the 803D is a definate step up. Do you have any thoughts?

Comment

• dmccombs
        • Sep 2006

Wow, tough call. conventional wisdom would say to get into the best speakers you can, then upgrade the componenets later when you can. This would be the 803D + Denon/Rotel option.

But, if you are going for the best sound now, I would guess the Classe gear with the 803s would sound a little better.

I have heard all the individual pieces, but not combined in the exact setup. Right now, I have 802Ds, with Classe Amps, and the Denon 4308 as a Prepro. The Denon is an interim solution for me, but it sounds pretty good. It is a notch down from a Classe Prepro though.

My local dealer has a good speaker trade-up program, so upgrading speakers is easier than electronics for me. I would personally opt for the 803s +Classe setup, as I think it will provide slightly better sound, and the speakers could be upgrades to 803Ds later.

The good news, is both options will sound very nice.

Darrell

Comment

• boroty
          • Feb 2008

Thanks Darrel. This is very helpful. I may go with the 803D and upgrade the processor later on.

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

I would definitely buy the best speakers you can afford now. Electronics constantly improve/change in relative short strokes, whereas speakers are good to go for the long run.

In one of my setups for example, I have the same main speakers that I bought in 1976. These same speakers have been driven by at least 5 systems to date.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

There are two schools of thought on this subject. One thought is to invest the majority of your budget into a pair of speakers. The other thought is to spread your budget acrossed a balanced system.

The 803D will be starved (sound anemic) with the Denon/Rotel combination. The 803S will bloom (sound expansive) with the Classe' setup. If you know for certain that the Denon/Rotel kit will be employed for temporary duty only (less than a year) get the 803D otherwise get the 803S and Classe' kit for high performance results right from the start.

I am not a proponent of planning long term upgrades. If you set yourself up that way it may cause your mind to miss the full enjoyment of the here and now.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Pedro
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                The 803D will be starved (sound anemic) with the Denon/Rotel combination. The 803S will bloom (sound expansive) with the Classe' setup. If you know for certain that the Denon/Rotel kit will be employed for temporary duty only (less than a year) get the 803D otherwise get the 803S and Classe' kit for high performance results right from the start.
                Just to notice, I've listened the 803D with CAM400 and found a little anemic, without extension at the lows. In this case i found the Krell FPB 400cx a better option. :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Pedro
                  Just to notice, I've listened the 803D with CAM400 and found a little anemic, without extension at the lows. In this case i found the Krell FPB 400cx a better option. :T
                  What was used for the front-end? Did you demo on the same day? Same dealership? Same salesman? Same room? Same source material? Was the only variable in your audition the power amplifiers? Sorry, I find your comments a little suspect without some qualifying remarks. :T
                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Mig17
                    • Jan 2008

I had Denon 4802 pair with Rotel 1095 its soudn is very wooly and I can say just OK
                    Denon 4802 pre is not a good Pre
                    I think your 4308 is about 90% the same

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

Hallo boroty,

i have a B&W803s-htm3s-805s /sub750.
                      Rotel Rsp1068 - RB1092 front - RB1091 center - anoter RB 1092 rear
                      I want upgrade my system and I don't no if buy at firt new speaekers of
                      going to Classè (for me the best gears - easy, no sofware problem and very high-end)
                      Rebelman say correct: 2 schools / possibility...
                      A Comb Classè CA5200 with the new SSP800 will be superbus.
                      A Denon with a Classè power-ampli only for HD format....

Personaly I find the Anthem D2 very nice with a Gennum scaler inside, and too the Paradigm speakers are not bad with the berylium....

is not a easy decision...

from Switzerland Omar

Comment

• boroty
                        • Feb 2008

Right now I am leaning towards the Denon 3808 with RB 1092 driving my main speakers (803D). The Denon is $1,500, and I can upgrade within the year to a better pre-pro if not satisfied with this sound. How do you like the 1092? My dealer does not stock it (special order), so I am going a little on faith...

Comment

• style
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006

Hi boroty,

In switzerland new class D amplifier are much appreciated (
                          Words of B & Wgroup switzerland!) So much that they decided to remove from the catalog RB1090!.

I in a week I had them .. (2c RB1092 and 1xRB1091)

Omar

Comment

• boroty
                            • Feb 2008

Hello Style, I appreciate your comments. I see you currently are using the 803s. You said you are looking at upgrading. what speakers are you considering?

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

Hi boroty,

I have the possibilty to have the B&W802D for $. 9100.- NEW no Demo.
                              I like the 802d and the 803d too.
                              If I make a upgrade is more sense make a "big" jump with the 802d in place 803d...

the speakers is not only B&W. I have heart the new Paradigm S8 and i'm very surprised. Very nice speaker.

at this moment I have all B&W and change all (L/C/R/SR and sub) with another mark/company will be much money... I think to go with the B&W...
                              is a investiment or so like that.
                              you can allways sell a B&W speakers another company is not so easy...

And you? The 803d are very good! Do you make a home cinema system (5.1) or you like much more music with a 2channel system?

Omar

Comment

• boroty
                                • Feb 2008

That sounds very nice! My system design (as of today) is 5.1 HT with a 2 a two channel amp (1092) for the 803D's. The center, sub and surround speakers are also B & W. Due to Budget constraints, I am currently going to use a Denon 3808CI as the HT receiver. I am also putting in a Sonance 6 zone distribution system for the rest of the house. I really hope the Denon does OK for now with this set up.

My logic was to go ahead and get the speakers I wanted with an Amp capable of driving them. I hope to be able to upgrade the Denon to a better Pre-pro if I am not satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"