X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel_stereo
    • May 2004

Rotel Euroseries Question

Hello Everybody,
    I had a chance to listen to a system composed of Rotel and B&W components. Here is the system:

Rotel RA02 Integrated Amp (40Wpc)
    Rotel RCD02 CD Player
    B&W DM602 S3 Speakers
    XLO speaker cables
    Ultralink Interconnects

I really liked what i heard. However, I have a couple of questions. Do you see the above system to be a good combo?
    Also, would you recommend an upgrade on the amp to RA1062 (60Wpc)?
    Please, let me know about your ideas. My listening tastes are Classic Rock, Classical Piano and Violin and Jazz Guitar.
    Thank you very much in advance.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

RA02 vs RA1062 & RCD02 vs RCD1072

Rotel Stereo,

As it happens I recently helped a friend with almost exactly the same requirement. He'd bought the B&W 603s based on an in-store listen and took them home to his Sony Stereo Amp and aging CD player and thought "what went wrong with the sound!".

Net: - unless you have a small room (like a bedroom), I'd definitely stretch to the RA1062 - you will notice the difference in extra control of the B&W 603s, especially in the bass / mid bass area... You'd have a great system for music. Do an A-B in the store on a Jazz Vocal CD you know and love (takes 60 seconds to swap the speaker and RCS cables) and you will hear the extra control for yourself and know you want it.

Now if you can s-t-r-e-t-c-h the budget just a little more - consider the RCD1072 instead of the RCD02. Do an A/B comparison in the store. We did - just swapped the RCA cables between the two CD players using Nora Jones... The extra clarity and transparency had my friend (and I) transfixed. The RCD-02 is very good but the RCD-1072 is in a different league... (This started me down the path and I ended up with an RCD-1072 myself ) I say this becuase of the style of music you are listening to, where you will appreciate the extra clarity, transparency and soundstage of the RCD1072.

Trust your ears first. But you may also want to look at this review of the RA1062 and RCD1072 combo in Hi Fi Choice.

Geoff

Comment

• rotel_stereo
      • May 2004

Dm602 S3

Geoff, thanks for the insight. However, I think you misread the part about DM602 S3 (the bookshelves). I believe that in your answer you are talking about the DM603 floorstanders. Do you still believe that RA1062 is gonna make a big difference for the DM602 S3 (the bookshelves) ?
      Let me know,
      Thanks,

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Yes and Yes!

Rotel Stereo,

The short answer is yes my reply confused the 603 and 602. My friend had the 603s. I am aware that you are getting the 602 - which accoustiaccly (other than bass) is similar and has the same efficiency etc. The 602 it rated at 25w to 125w inclipped program material so I was (not as clearly as I should have) making the translation that the extra power and clarity fromthe RA1062 we heard on the 603s would also translate to the 602s.

If you want more - why not post in Club B&W with a question like "B&W 602's is 40W enough?" and see

Geoff

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"