X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dxh
    • Feb 2004

RDV-1080

OK, I need some real help here.

I just bought a pre-owned RDV-1080 from Ebay. It was advertised as in "mint condition", which it appeared to be in when it showed up, despite the fact that no manual was included, nor the original packaging.

I downloaded the manual and connected the component video to my monitor and the digital coaxial cable to my RSP-985. Toss in one of my favorite reference DVDs (5th Element) and -whamo!- no sound.

I fiddle with the settings to no avail. I reconnect my old DVD player to the same audio cable into the same audio nput on my pre-pro and it works just fine.

Is there something I'm missing, or did I get hosed? I have the DIGITAL AUDIO setting set to STREAM/PCM and have tried the DIGITAL DOLBY/PCM setting with equally quiet results. What's new to me is that this player has no setting to determine whether you're going to use the tos link or the digital coax.

Thank for you help.
  • mazuly
    • Feb 2003

Hi

The audio setting should be at stream/pcm. Make sure the down mix is set to off. Also change the speaker setting to 5.1 and not 2.0. Do you hear anything if you connect the player through the 5.1 analog output?

Thanks,
    Maziar

Comment

• dxh
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by mazuly
      The audio setting should be at stream/pcm. Make sure the down mix is set to off. Also change the speaker setting to 5.1 and not 2.0. Do you hear anything if you connect the player through the 5.1 analog output?
      That is how I have it configured. I haven't tried any of the analog outputs yet, but will do so tonight.

One other note: When I play a DTS DVD, I get garbeled sound that cuts in and out.

Comment

• mazuly
        • Feb 2003

Hi,

This does not sound normal and I have a feeling that the unit is faulty.

Try this resetting procedure which was given to me by my dealer:

Make sure there are no disks in the machine
        Unplug the unit from the back
        Hold stop and play at the same time and reconnect power cord
        Test 1U should be on the front panel
        Press next track followed by pause button
        Press standby button to turn unit off

After that all setting should be back to factory default and you may have to change the setting on the setup menus again.

Good luck,
        Maziar

Comment

• dxh
          • Feb 2004

Thanks for the help so far.

I have tried the steps to reset to no avail. I still get no sound at all when listening to a Dolby Digital soundtrack and digital garble from the DTS soundtrack. The funny thing is, in DTS, the center channel works like a charm.

Additionally, the analog outputs are fine. I'm actually listening to a CD right now, and it sounds pretty good. Not quite as good as my RCD-951, but pretty good nonetheless.

Comment

• mazuly
            • Feb 2003

I am sure you have done this already, but have you tried another digital cable. Maybe there is something wrong with the actual cable itself.

Also, are you getting any digital sound when you are playing CDs or is it DVDs with DD and DTS that are giving you problem? Try using 5.1 analog connections as well and see if that works in DD and DTS. If that works, then the problem might be that the player is not outputting a digital signal properly and maybe need to be fixed. There is a small possibility that your processor is at fault here too not decoding the signal properly (incompatibility issue or something, I am not sure???).

In any case I think you could write an email to Rotel tech support about this to see what they will say. I would just tell them where I bought the player and say that I am going to be stock with a faulty player and so on and mention any other Rotel gear you have. Rotel seem to be very good in customer service and even though you bought this player from an unauthorized dealer they may still help you out.

Thanks,
            Maziar

Comment

• mazuly
              • Feb 2003

Just curious, did thinks work out for you?

Thanks,
              Maziar

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"