X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gdbeck
    • Mar 2006

Connecting Poweramp to Rotel RSX-972

Just to be on the safe side before I do this.....
    I going to connect my stereo Rotel poweramp up to my Rotel RSX-972 (front speakers only). I have connected the poweramp to the Rotel line out front jacks. My question is this. Since I no longer need amplification from the Rotel front amplifiers will removing the front speaker wires be safe. Basically I don't want the RSX-972 to be pushing power to something that is not there (i.e. front speakers) and have an overload. Am I correct in assuming that the Rotel 972 can detect that I no longer need front amplication (thus shutting down frontal amplicfication) and if so how (ie. detect jacks in front line out???). Thanks in advance. PS. Just as a side note the RSX-972 has great sound but its characteristics are much different than my RB980BX power amp...(972 brighter great clarity, RB980 warmer more mid).
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Correct, an amplifier needs resistance to function and as soon as you remove that resistance (the speaker) the amp won't function. The 972 doesn't know it per se, but you'll be fine.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Welcome the Forum!

Like Kevin says, no complete circuit, no resistance, the amp will not be working working.

I like to hear from those with 9 Series equipment. That’s what started my interest/loyalty in Rotel 12 years ago.

So........You are going to use a 2-channel amp to power you front mains. As Mr. Burns would say “Excellent”

To do this, you run interconnects from the Front L & R pre/out of the RSX-972 to the new amp. From the new amp, run your speaker cables to your speakers. If you still have cables running from high level speaker outputs of your RSX-972 to the front speakers, I would most definitely Disconnect them from both the speakers and RSX-972.

Go here for info on your RSX-972 if you don’t already have a owners manual.

I do not know your unit well enough to be able to say for sure, but if it can not automatically detect that you are using a separate amp for the fronts, and you leave it connected, you may run the risk running power from both amps to your speakers. Probably not a good idea.

BTW, I have two RB980 BX's, had them for 12 years, and trust me, they are indestructible!
      And I will wager you will love the difference.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Gdbeck
        • Mar 2006

Life is good with Rotel.

Thanks guys, things are good, no problems. I'm extremely happy with this
        972/980 combo. I posted another entry giving my experience. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"