X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tapesh
    • Oct 2003

Outlaw monblocks OR Rotel 1095

It may sound a very stupid qs. to knowledgeable people here but to a novice like me it’s a big qs.

Separates are supposed to be better, am I right ?

If that’s correct then don’t you think going with 5 Outlaw mono blocks rather than Rotel-1095 will be a better choice.

But I am too naïve to conclude when it comes to this high end audio world and I mostly rely on what audiophiles like you suggest.

Please advice why one or the other option is better.

Is Rotel too good to be compared with Outlaw ?

Will Rotel 1095 will outperform 5 Outlaw Mono blocks ?

Thanks

Tapesh
  • Tapesh
    • Oct 2003

Any help here ?

Thanks

Tapesh

Comment

• BleakShore
      • Oct 2003

Is Rotel too good to be compared with Outlaw ?
      Will Rotel 1095 will outperform 5 Outlaw Mono blocks ?
      Well, I've tried the Outlaw 7100 amp and the RSX 1065 receiver.
      I've decided to keep the Rotel because I liked their sound better.

This does not mean that Rotel is better than the Outlaw.
      It just means that I preferred the Rotel sound over the Outlaw sound.

As most companies design their electronics for consistent sonic quality, I'd assume that the Outlaw line amps will sound similar in character.
      So would Rotels. Of course the bigger siblings will tend to sound cleaner and have more power, etc.

But... within a product line, I'd say that yes, monoblocks would be better that multi-channel amps. Better isolation, etc., etc.

I think the bottom line is you just gotta hear these things to make a decision.

I personally liked the Rotels better. But I'm trying to audition Krell, and the likes. Just to see if I like them better. Don't know if I can afford them though.

Regards,

Jong

Comment

• rlin
        • Aug 2003

My advice is to try both amps with your speakers...different amps react differently to speakers so the testimonials of people may not be accurate unless both have the same speaker setup. However, I have a similar experience with the previous post.....I tried both the Outlaw 7100 and the Rotel 1075 and decided to go with Rotel because it sounds better with my Vandersteens than with the Outlaw 7100.

Robert

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
          • Sep 2003

I had a pair of Outlaw 200's running my Bp30's for about 3 months. While I loved them, they just didn't light up my Def techs like I imagined they would. Maybe a little too laid back? I just never had that "I finally found the perfect amps for my speakers" feeling when I'd lay down at night.

I've had the Rotel 1075 for about a month, and sonically, it does what I want! Its almost half the power of the 200's but you'd never know it. The 1075 controls the 30's better overall. Everything became more airy, much much easier to listen tooin my opinion.

Outlaw makes great gear at even better prices. But I am extremely happy I switched and went with Rotel.

Like others have said..try them out, maybe do some comparisons.

If my 1075 impresses me more then the Outlaw 200's, I can't imagine the 1095...might have to upgrade in a few months

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
          GameTracker -My List-
          Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Notice a trend here

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Making a good amp is not rocket science. But that does not mean all amps are "good". I don't know the particulars of the outlaw, but I know Rotel builds a pretty nice product. Outlaw has seemed to be a good bang for the buck product on their receivers, pre-amps, and amps. But if you don't have to spend that much more to get Rotel? Well, I'd be easily swayed myself.

Electronics, I feel are a bit different. It's much more difficult for a small company to come out with a product, let alone provide updates regularly to fix problems. Case in point? A high end brand Proceed had lots of problems getting updates onto the market for it's AVP and PAV processors. They even had Harman in their corner, and Madrigal audio. But still, the company had problems with updates. Now, Proceed is defunct, and Mark Levinson and Revel were basically absorbed into Lexicon and now called Harman Specialty Group.

Anyway, I'm saying Outlaw is smallish by standards, and could suffer from some similar things. Though I can't say for sure that's true. Heck, updates have been made to Rotel gear based upon what our guys said here, that's a real positive.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

I had once done some research for a friend on this subject. I owned the RMB-1095 and he was deciding between the 1095 and the Outlaw with monoblocks and asked my opinion. Although I have not heard the Outlaw I examined it 's internal components and compared them to the RMB-1095, and the RMB-1095 internal components seemed superior in qualilty. I also found the RMB-1095 (silver) more asthetically pleasing, (this of course is based on personal preference).

Also, another factor to consider is the Outlaw is an internet-based distributor, whereas Rotel's can be purchased locally.

The optimal test would be to soncially compare both units, with your personal equipment, in your home environment and make your own judgement

However, if I had to chose, I would chose Rotel hands down.

Just my thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• art vandeleigh
                  • Oct 2003

tapesh: i have never auditioned the outlaw amps so i cant say either or...but i can tell you that for you to be TRULY happy with your descision, you MUST go and LISTEN to the product first hand. this is the only way...bottom line.

you can go with peoples recomendation, but in the end you must and i say you must listen to it for yourself. everyone has a different like and dislike that may not coincide with yours. so do yourself a favor and audition anything before you put your hard earned money down.
                  good luck and let us know what you decided to go with!!

Comment

• BleakShore
                    • Oct 2003

Another thing to consider.

So far everytime I bought a piece of audio/HT gear because it is a little cheaper, I invariably ended up upgrading it to something better.

My mistakes has been also compounded, due to my great aversion to spending money, by either buying something that is marginally better or making a lateral move. I'd be assuredly unhappy again.

In a word, buying something because it's less expensive (not necessarily cheap) has cost me more so far.

So, I changed my outlook on this (no pun intended). Spend the money and buy what you like. Life is short. Groveling before your wife is not all that bad.... Just look like a guilty pup, ya will be ok.

Something to consider... $0.02.

Regards,

Comment

• Tapesh
                      • Oct 2003

First of all thanks a ton guys for reading and responding to my qs.

In the mean time a good dev. is that I have become official Roteler , just made a purchase of my first Rotel gear RB-1090.

Back to qs., yes Andrew I see a trend here people chose Rotel over Outlaw and that I should listen and decide my self.

Actually I rely more on people like here, because they are so much in to it that they can notice flaws right away while it will take me a while before I can understand what’s wrong. By asking qs. here I am Just trying to make sure if my thinking is in the right direction.

When I thought of Mono blocks, it was the quality that I had in mind, money wise its almost same because I plan to buy used 1095 not a new one. But it seems every thing is subjective as one member indicated that monos of a company would be better than that company’s MC amps, makes sense but that may not be true for diff. brand.

I am just trying to assemble a system that’s good for at least 4-5 yrs. And upgradeable too. Another crazy idea is to go with 3 RB-1090 instead of RMB-1095, It should be good for life time. More WPC to me means more clarity at low volume, I think I am right about this.

Thanks again

Tapesh

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Three 1090's ;x( That would be incredible!...though likely way overkill for surround systems...I'd rather see you invest that in a better pre amp, speakers or screen etc

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"