X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jk@home
    • Oct 2003

Bi-amping Paradigm with Rotel

Hey Folks

I'm using an RSX-1055 receiver (75 watts x 5) to power a Paradigm Studio system that I am in the process of building, for HT and casual music listening only.

Started off with 20v3s, then added a 570 center. This last spring I traded the 20s for 60s, and plan on adding the 470 side surrounds this winter.

It's pretty obvious to me now that using the receiver to drive all three front channels isn't going to cut it. By switching over the 60s to a separate Aragon amp I own, I get better bass and dynamics, (even though I still like the top end of the Rotel better). But to go over to all channels driven by Aragon is more than I want to spend right now.

So I am looking at different options, to buy either new or used. My question here is given the price of a new RMB1075 is the same as the RB1080, has anyone used the former to bi-amp Studio 60s/100s, and how would that compare to the latter?

My thinking is, I could not only use 4 channels of the 1075 for the 60s, but the 5th channel, along with the receiver, to bi-amp the center also.

I am aware that bi-amping with two 125 watt amps will not be the same as using one 200 watter, in terms of absolute power. But I also feel too much of a mis-match of power between the L/Rs (@200 watts) and center (@75 watts) may cause problems with dynamics and level matching. That seemed to be the case when I tried the Aragon (8008BB, which is also 200 watts per channel) on the L/Rs and Rotel driving the center.

PS... I am using a sub, and plan on upgrading it to a ceiling mounted DIY infinite baffle type, all speakers are rolled off at 80 HZs.

Thanks for any opinions,
    John
  • FROST
    • Jul 2006

Hi John

I recently got a chance to compare a RB1080 to my RB1075 hooked up to my rig
    RB1080 was couple months old and my RB1075 one year old I was curious since most of the folks here say there is a big difference well I can tell you they were wrong
    I know maybe the new amp wasn't broken in, but these are my results and findings.
    My RB1075 was way better, sonic performance, base, clarity it felt really smooth other than that they were almost identical most likely after a year RB1080 would sound identical.
    If you looking for some serious punch check out Bryston 4B SST you'll like that
    That will be my next upgrade.

Off topic
    I auditioned Rotel Rcd1072 vs. Cambridge Audio azur 640C ver.1 and 2 amplified by Cambridge Audio Azur 840A Class XD amp and B&W CM1 speakers first audition in store later at home (CM1 amazing speaker for the money makes me want to build just a pure stereo system)
    The test
    My friend and I and my trusty salesperson at LONDON AUDIO not a pusher like many others in different stores in my city, well we picked Cambridge every time over Rotel, base was snappy and clean unlike Rotel's too much of it and muddy and dirty
    Biggest difference was clarity it almost felt like someone lifted the blanket of the speakers. Cambridge 640C ver.2 came home with me.

This weekend I got Paradigm CC570 at home I’m trying to compare that to my CC470
    Well it’s more like justify the 400$ upgrade?
    Did you by any chance compare those two I have hard time deciding CC570 seem to sound just a bit better not 400$ better what are you thoughts?

Well there you go I don’t if this is going to help you or not

Chris
    PS Audio Quintet Power Center
    Rotel RSP-1068
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Cambridge Audio Azur 540D
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v.2
    CATCABLES Silvercats
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
    Paradigm Studio CC570
    Paradigm Studio ADP470
    Panasonic CT34WX15
    HSU VTF-3 MKII RULES!!!

Comment

• jk@home
      • Oct 2003

Thanks for the reply; I was starting to think the question must have been too far out there. :B

Bryston and Aragon are said to have similar characteristics, I did hear more punch and detail with my 8008BB. I guess another option will be to try and find a used Aragon, in some form (ST, BB, etc.) to drive my center. I do like the rolled off highs of the Rotel for those intense movie action scenes, sometimes too must detail in this respect can become fatiguing.

As far as the center goes, my dealer carried the 470, to demo, but not the 570. When I listened to it at the store, it was being driven by some other brand of electronics (Denon, Pioneer, who knows). I told my salesman the demo was pretty useless, knowing that the 470 on my Rotel would sound different.
      I found this to be true with the 20v3s, in which case I was able to bring home a demo pair to check out before I bought.

With the 570, I took a leap of faith and just ordered it. One thing I was concerned about was that at first I had difficulties finding the right spot for my 20s, to eliminate some boomy bass response. Since the center sits on top of a RPTV, I knew I wouldn't have too many placement options.

As it turned out, it was a non-issue; in fact the center sounds a little on the lean side. This is not a big deal, but the addition of more power to it should help. There definitely is no problem with dialog or soundstage blending with the 60s.

John

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"