X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

upgradeitis

I have a Yamaha Rx-v2600 receiver (130wpc x 2 or some smaller wattage x 7)
    speakers up front are the Infinity Beta 50 and C360
    4 rears are the Beta 10's

I use the system for about 80% movies 20% music

I only have enough money for either the RB1080 or the RMB1075
    which would you guys suggest?
    RB 1080
    21.43%
    RMB 1075
    78.57%
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Given the 80/20 movie/music split, the 1075, easily. You want to get the front 3 speakers as well matched (both in speaker construction/components as well as amplification) as possible. The 1075 is no slouch for music, so I'd say hands down, go that route.

Something you may be surprised to find out is that Yamaha's wpc are not the same as Rotel's wpc. I'd put 60 watts of Rotel up against 120 watts of Yamaha any day of the week. So, don't fee like yer giving anything up there.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by grit
      Given the 80/20 movie/music split, the 1075, easily. You want to get the front 3 speakers as well matched (both in speaker construction/components as well as amplification) as possible. The 1075 is no slouch for music, so I'd say hands down, go that route.

Something you may be surprised to find out is that Yamaha's wpc are not the same as Rotel's wpc. I'd put 60 watts of Rotel up against 120 watts of Yamaha any day of the week. So, don't fee like yer giving anything up there.
      Ditto Plus it's a better move in to the world of sperates IMO
      Jason

Comment

• mike c
        • Dec 2005

are the rears just as important to power?

what if in the future (when I win the lottery) I can also buy a 200w monoblock to power the center ... will that tilt your advices?

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

If you win the lottery, move up to McIntosh.

Get the 1075 for now.

Rears can be critical if you listen to hi-res multi-channel music... even if you don't, why not send matching power all the way around?
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

If you win the lotto then you can sell all the Rotel stuff (or move it to a bedroom) and buy all new stuff like Bryston or Classe
            Jason

Comment

• mike c
              • Dec 2005

mini-lottery then

I was thinking if I were to get a 200wpc monoblock for the center and the RB1080 sides ... and leave the rears for the receiver.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Then you run into the issue of finding a Rotel 200w mono block (they don't make one), so you will still be in the same situation; the fronts and center not flowing together.

Whats up with the poll? Sounds like you really want the 1080..

Kevin D.

Comment

• mike c
                  • Dec 2005

actually, I was looking at an outlaw monoblock 200

im really really torn between the two (hence the poll )
                  reading this subforum, I keep hearing people say that the 2 ch amp will trump the 5 ch amps

Comment

• bleeding ears
                    • Nov 2004

Mike c, Something more to consider.

From what I have read (and I read a lot on Hi Fi ) yes the 2 channel amps,in the same price range as a 5 channel amp will do a bit better job for stereo listening, but you said you do 80% movies (5 channels or more).

I have heard the 1075 and it does a great job with movies and music, I dont think I have heard of any problems at all with the 1075.

Hey if you pick one up at a good price you can always move on up later with little or no loss of dollars. They are in demand on ebay etc.

The yamahas are apparently a little better with movies than cd stereo so until you go to a truely seperate prepro I think you will find the 1075 to be excellent.

The 1080 would not doubt do a better job in stereo, but there are a few around that do have problems apparently.

It all depends on what your priority is, Music cds or movies.

One more thought, you could go to the 1095, now thats something to consider. LOL :lol:

Pete

Comment

• mike c
                      • Dec 2005

due to a landslide victory at the polls ... 1075 it is ...
                      thanks everyone.

you guys are exactly right. I like movies, but I'm being attracted to a feature for music lovers. I have an old yamaha receiver that gives out 85wpc - I can't even find something wrong with the sound. hopefully, I'll be impressed by a separate amp
                      either way, I'll be happy because the reason these two were my options is because they are the cheapest models with the THX badge up front!

1095 ... by the time I can afford something like that, this model would long be phased out and something like a 500w x 5 class d amp would have taken its place.

Comment

• BWzes03
                        • Oct 2005

THX, Smee HX

Do not be fooled by thinking the THX badge means something on amps with regards to quality or something.
                        This only means the amps are capable of meeting the requirements of THX levels of perfomance, which means it can output 100dB's of sound pressure without compression and within 1.0% THD.
                        Any amp of any reputable source can meet or exceed these specs.

With regards to post-processing in a cinema-processor / A/V receiver, that is a different story. There are several different processing programs developed by THX to be included.

But for seperate power amps, it means next to nothing.

Comment

• mike c
                          • Dec 2005

thanks for the info. i know that, I just place looks and bragging rights pretty high in my requirements for audio gear.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"