• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jfinneru
    • Nov 2003

future software upgrade RSP1098

I could notice an interesting thing in that review from What hifi:
    a software upgrade to give Dolby Pro-logic IIx is due very soon
    Is there anything else you guys hope for with this upgrade?
    I will hope for:
    speaker distance: something more accurate than feet and an option to choose metric system in the meny.
    larger font on volume on the screen
    separate the two sub output in to sub one and two, so we can set distance separetly.
    a possibility to use the speaker settings also with the ext input. not so many dvd players can set the speaker distance with sacd.
    an option not to turn the screen on every time I change the volume with screen set to off.
    any other ideas guys 8)

brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum
    brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

It's been a while since I updated (November 2003) but here's the active thread for the current long wish-list for the 1098.

You will see it reflects sugggestions from a wide variety of 1098 users and it already has all your suggestions except the Speaker Distance for EXT inputs - as this would require that these be digitised (with some loss of quality) which many people don't like / want. However I will add it to an updated list as an option.

I'm activitly working on a V3.0 of the Wish List reflecting 2 months posting on this forum by many people.

Keep up the suggestions!!!! You will think of more as you use the 1098 more....

Geoff Costello

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

Indeed some don't have speaker distance or bass management on SACD and/or DVD-Audio. Even some very high end players (Linn Unidisk) don't have this, however they assume you have 5 identical speakers (and a subwoofer) perfectly positioned. Actually both SACD en DVD-AUdio assume a 5.1 setup.

Any new player (except for some high end players) out there with a multichannel analogue output has some sort of bassmanagement. Having the multichannel analogue input as a passthrough is simple and effective. I doubt Rotel will invest in digitizing it, since with the coming rise of iLink (firewire) there is should be no need for this. I would rather see Rotel spending time in iLink than in adding extra a/d converters for the multichannel input.

To my opinion its not something you want on a wish list.

Geoff, I suggest to add some priorities on some items that really are a must for future equipment and things that are nice to have and maybe requested by a few people, but something thats more getting lecagy in the next years.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Scarp,

Good suggestion. When I publish the new version of the Wish List I will put an attempt at priroties in it and ask (via postings) for votes for changing priorities.

Geoff Costello

Comment

• DrBoom
          • Dec 2003

I'm wondering as to what extent Rotel actually considers our suggested upgrades and additions to their products.
          I already know they take customer feedback seriously and are eager to test any problems reported by us themselves, but I wonder how far they would go.
          The 1098 is already a great product, but it could even be a lot better if they'd put in some things from the wish list, like that "don't turn on the screen with volume change" which is my n° 1 request.
          And for god's sake, a toggle in the Test Tone menu so you can calibrate with a DVD instead of internal tones (or at least get the internal ones right).

Comment

• mazuly
            • Feb 2003

I am also for not having the display come on with volume change when the screen is shutoff. Also bigger fonts for the volume on the display would be really good.

And of course DPIIx upgrade would be excellent. I have heard that the algorithm used for creating ambiance on DPIIx is actually better than DPII even if you are using a 5.1 system. This would make the steering and ambiance information better for 2 channel source.

Thanks,
            Maziar

Comment

• Zzap
              • Sep 2003

Count me in!
              Having the display NOT come on when changing the volume is also my #1 request.
              /John

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Guys Rotel does listen very closely to what we have to say for firmware requests. If you look back to what we asked for in the 1066 unit most of what could be done was done and what couldn't be done found its way into the 1098. I do know Rotel is working on a new firmware for the 1098 but as to just what it will include and when it will be released I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"