X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fvoelling
    • Jul 2004

Unstable/video sync issues with HD via RSX-1056

I recently switched to Comcast cable and tried to watch some NFL playoff games in HD on my projector. The Motorola cable box is connected via component to the 1056, which in turn is connected via component-to-RGA to the projector. I had watched a few HD movies that way before and everything worked fine.

Well, the first playoff game I made it almost to halftime before I finally turned it off due to the picture jittering and/or the projector losing the signal. Actually, come to think of it, the audio would sometimes disappear as well (picture still there), and switching to another channel and then back would resolve that. This all happened intermittently and was bearable at first, but then increased and I ended up moving to another TV.

Following week, different ballgame, same story. Then came the super bowl, and after a quick check right before the game to confirm that the problem was still there, I directly connected the cable box to the projector, routing only the audio into the Rotel. Behold, rock solid picture, no issues whatsoever.

So now I have two suspects, the component cable (provided by the cable company, that definitely puts it on the list ), and the 1056. Strange thing is, the movies I had watched before didn't show those problems (as I recall), but they were on a different channel (maybe it's related to the station broadcasting 720p vs 1080i? - the Motorola box converts 720p and outputs 1080i).

I will try out another component cable next to see if that makes a difference.

Frank
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

You have set that input to progressive right? Any thing on the components higher then 480i needs to be set to progressive.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Did that fix your problem?

Kevin D.

Comment

• fvoelling
        • Jul 2004

Kevin,

I have since changed the component cable between the cable box and the Rotel, and haven't seen any problems yet. However, since it wasn't doing it all the time before either and I probably haven't watched much ABC/HD since then, that doesn't mean too terribly much.

Are you referring to this setting?

Main Menu
        Other
        Progressive

That was set to V1, and my cable box is coming in over V3. I changed it to V1+V3, is that correct?

You said that anything over 480i needs to be set to progressive, but it seemed to work for most of the HD stuff just fine when I had only V1 set to progressive (my cable box converts and outputs at 1080i). I thought that this setting (on the Rotel) was only for purposes of displaying the Rotel menu (because it has to interrupt the progressive signal for it)?

Frank

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

If cable is on v3 and dvd is on v1, then yes. Setting V1 & V3 to progressive is correct.

As far as what it does, it's two fold.

1) Like you said, interupts video when displaying the Rotel menu

2) Disables any OSD feedback.

If you didn't have it on, you should see the video mess up anytime you change volume or the surround mode switches. Chances are when your station switched between Dolby-Digital and PCM stereo (during commercials and such) the report of this from the 1056 messed the video up.

Kevin D.

Comment

• fvoelling
            • Jul 2004

Thanks, Kevin!

I'll keep an eye on it, that could very well have been the case as it was during football game broadcasts (vs the movies I had primarily been watching via HD). Didn't just happen when switching between game/commercials, but even during live play!?

Frank

Comment

• fvoelling
              • Jul 2004

Just noticed something else. Video is fine thus far, but now I'm not getting audio via the Rotel amplifier section for one channel (WUSA in HD). It's showing a movie in DD5.1. The Rotel shows it as DD EX on its display, and I do get audio on the two front L/R speakers which are directed to another 2-channel amp (via the Rotel). Another channel that's showing a DD5.1 broadcast works fine!? Selecting different audio modes on the Rotel yields no change.

I can see where maybe the station is sending the wrong audio "flag", but shouldn't switching to Dolby PL for example correct that? Also, why is it sending a signal to the external front L/R outputs?

Frank

Comment

• fvoelling
                • Jul 2004

Darn, actually forgot to turn the projector off last night, but still no audio (via the Rotel amp) on that one channel, now they're showing golf (still DD 5.1 according to the guide). Other channels including those showing 5.1 are fine!?

Frank

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

In my experience, HD network broadcasts are still in a learning process for some reason. If you have one HD network station that has issues, but all others are fine, it's 99.9% most likely that one channel. Call the station and/or cable company.

Kevin D.

Comment

• fvoelling
                    • Jul 2004

I think that's it! Just checked my other cable box that's hooked up to an older Denon receiver, same thing (cable indicates it's a DD5.1 broadcast, receiver plays front L/R channels only). Hadn't even thought of checking that one before as it's not an HD TV, but the cable box is HD so the receiver still gets the same audio signal.

Thanks for all your help!

Frank

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"