problem persists at different outlets w/ no speaker or source inputs too

:banghead:
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

So the amp doesn't turn on at all?

Comment

• Souwalker
      • Jan 2006

I brought an rb1080 home Saturday to demo and I think I noticed the same thing. I turned off the amp via the main switch and the samp goes into protective mode (red light appears) for about 5-10 seconds, then the amp switches off. is this normal behaviour?

Besides the above, I think I got a faulty unit as there is a very audible hum coming our of my speakers even with all the other components switched off including my pre amp. The power was supplied by a dedicated wall outlet.
      While watching a movie too, the hum very too distractive and a buzzing sound comes and go at intervals togerther with the constant hum. It was so bad even my wife and kids were complaining.

Besides the hum, there is a reverse polarity issue with this amp. I had to ensure speaker cables were hooked up in reverse.

I've spoken to Trevor at Len Wallis about this and he's going to get another one in for me. If the other unit displays the same symtoms, I have to question Rotels QA.

I demoed a NAD power amp (also a 3 prong plug) the week before and I had no issues what so ever with hum (2 channel music or HT) so I seriously doubt a ground loop issue. My current pre/power amp never had any issues with hum as well.

Any comments on the above?
      Thanks
      Pat

Comment

• SQconstable
        • Mar 2005

Man, I know how you feel. I took the buzzing/humming problem far and received 2 replacements, all still having exactly the same issue. In total, I have gone through 3 new RSX-1067's because of the humming/buzzing issue. Mine isn't controlled by volume - it's fixed, and comes out of all channels when only speakers are connected. It does it on APC, Richard Gray, and Monster line conditioners with no change in intensity.

I have explained my situation here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=18144

and also here:

I've been communicating back and forth between Rotel (WHEN they answer my emails and questions - they're very selective about the emails they do answer).

You may think you got a faulty unit, but I assure you Rotel will say it's within "spec".
        Last edited by SQconstable; 08 February 2006, 18:00 Wednesday.

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by peterS
          just purchased one and my dealer is of no help... hopefully you can help

every time power is turned on or off, via remote, remote wire or
          manualy pressing the power button it goes into protetect for 5 sec

i have everything hooked up to a monster 3600 surge protector

problem persists at different outlets w/ no speaker or source inputs too

:banghead:
          That is normal - the protection light will illuminate for approx 5 sec. once powered down. My RB-1070 does the same thing. No issues at all with this amp. No hum, buzz or unwanted noise (unless wife puts on Michael McDonald).

Comment

• DL86
            • Sep 2005

My rb-1080 also has buzz and hum, but I can only hear it when my ear is right up against the tweeter with my new speakers and an almost inaudible hum from the woofers. Not really a concern for me. Maby some buzz and hum more than others? I also got an old RMB-100 powering my centre speaker that also has a ground cable but there is no buzz and hum with that unit.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Souwalker
              Besides the hum, there is a reverse polarity issue with this amp. I had to ensure speaker cables were hooked up in reverse.
              Thanks
              Pat

Care to elaborate? I know the manual differs from the back panel, but there should be an insert correcting the manual.

Kevin D.

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by miner
                That is normal - the protection light will illuminate for approx 5 sec. once powered down. My RB-1070 does the same thing. No issues at all with this amp. No hum, buzz or unwanted noise (unless wife puts on Michael McDonald).
                yes... miscomumunication
                i specificaly asked my dealer if they had turn on/off protection built in
                he said no.... the issue was cleared up quickly once i brought it in lol

i became alarmed because every time it turned on and went into protect a battery back up surge protector on a diffent curcuit sounded its alarm

8O

Comment

• peterS
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by SQconstable
                  Man, I know how you feel. I took the buzzing/humming problem far and received 2 replacements, all still having exactly the same issue. In total, I have gone through 3 new RSX-1067's because of the humming/buzzing issue. Mine isn't controlled by volume - it's fixed, and comes out of all channels when only speakers are connected. It does it on APC, Richard Grey, and Monster line conditioners with no change in intensity.

I have explained my situation here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=18144

and also here:

I've been communicating back and forth between Rotel (WHEN they answer my emails and questions - they're very selective about the emails they do answer). My dealer posed the option of partial credit (because of age) but it's a hassle thinking how something like a design problem of what we're hearing on these overpowers the thought of how good the amp sounds.
                  You may think you got a faulty unit, but I assure you Rotel will not admit it's faulty. They'll just say it's within "spec".
                  thanks for the heads up... sorry about your troubles

Comment

• titan7
                    • Dec 2005

I believe the protection light is a normal operation on start up and shut down. At least my 4 wk old 1080 does it and every other Rotel Amp I have seen does the same.

Comment

• Souwalker
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                      Care to elaborate? I know the manual differs from the back panel, but there should be an insert correcting the manual.

Kevin D.
                      There was an insert in the owner's manual informing of a polarity issue. I has to reverse the speakers wires from the normal instruction in the manual.

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Ok, but the back panel of the amp matched the insert right?

Kevin D.

Comment

• DL86
                          • Sep 2005

There was an insert in the owner's manual informing of a polarity issue. I has to reverse the speakers wires from the normal instruction in the manual.
                          Same case here. The manual instructions were wrong. The back panel of the amp is correct the way it already is i.e. + to + and - to - from amp to speaker. I tried doing what the manual said but after doing an EQ test with my yamaha receiver revealed the right speaker was out of phase.

Comment

• miner
                            • Mar 2005

Addendum to RB-1080 Manual.

For right speaker only. Apparently the labels on the back are reversed. From Right to Left speaker should be + - - +.

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Miner, yeah the addendum corrects the manual, not the amp.. I'm actually surprised at the number of people who read the manual and ignored the back of the amp.. Opposite of how I do it.. "Manual?? There's a manual??"

Kevin D.

Comment

• Souwalker
                                • Jan 2006

http://www.rotel.com/support/pdfs/ma...0-addendum.pdf

Addendum to RB-1080 Manual.

For right speaker only. Apparently the labels on the back are reversed. From Right to Left speaker should be + - - +.
                                It's for the right speaker only??? Damn, I reversed the speaker wires for right and left speakers!

Rgds
                                pat

Comment

• Souwalker
                                  • Jan 2006

Miner, yeah the addendum corrects the manual, not the amp.. I'm actually surprised at the number of people who read the manual and ignored the back of the amp.. Opposite of how I do it.. "Manual?? There's a manual??"

Kevin D.
                                  Did you mean people read the addendum but did nothing?
                                  Rgds

Comment

• miner
                                    • Mar 2005

It's for the right speaker only??? Damn, I reversed the speaker wires for right and left speakers!

Rgds
                                    pat
                                    I suppose they designed the L neg & R neg to be next to each other in case the wires touched. Better for 2 negs to touch than a neg & pos.

Comment

• Souwalker
                                      • Jan 2006

Ok, but the back panel of the amp matched the insert right?

Kevin D.
                                      Kevin
                                      Before I hooked the speakers up last week, I had a look at the back of the amp and I think the back panel did not match the insert.
                                      Rgds
                                      pat

Comment

• miner
                                        • Mar 2005

The back panel should be labeld as such: R + - - + L

Comment

• Souwalker
                                          • Jan 2006

The back panel should be labeld as such: R + - - + L
                                          Mmmh..I think it is. So do I hook up my right speaker wire's - to the + of the back panel and left speaker + to the - of the back panel?
                                          Apologies for these dumb questions. I like my music and gear but like a car I can drive but don't know much when I pop up the hood :-) I can do simple things (plug and play) but where grounding fixes etc etc is way over my head :-(
                                          Thanks
                                          pat

Comment

• Kevin D
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2002

Did you mean people read the addendum but did nothing?
                                            Rgds
                                            It was more of a joke of people actually reading a manual.. Here's a picture of the back of the amp:

As you can see it's +- -+, which is what the addendum states. The only thing wrong is the manual. You need to hook it up like the back panel/addendum. + to +, - to -.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Souwalker
                                              • Jan 2006

Thanks Kevin.
                                              I misread the addendum thinking that I needed to reverse the connection. For the general users, Rotel should have simply not include the addendum. this way, we'd simply follow what's at the back :-) What I did was put the + of the speaker wire to the - at the back panel. the addendum is not clear. I suppose if I did not look at the addendum and just hook up the speaker cables as they are at the back panel, I would not have been confused.
                                              Ok, just to confirm, just hook the speaker cables up to the back panel according to the + and - signs? Black to the - and red to the +?
                                              Rgds
                                              pat

Comment

• miner
                                                • Mar 2005

Kevin
                                                Before I hooked the speakers up last week, I had a look at the back of the amp and I think the back panel did not match the insert.
                                                Rgds
                                                pat
                                                OK, the back panel on the amp is correct. The drawing in the manual is incorrect for the R speaker, + & - reversed. Follow the indicators on the back panel.

Comment

• peterS
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2005

worth noting that tech suport got back to me on my email although it was a dumb question

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"