X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Britchie
    • Nov 2003

i-link for 1098?

I noticed the picture posted for the new rotel receives shows an I-link (ieee 1394) conection port. Does anyone know if this something that can be added to the 1098?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

That picture wasn't for the new Rotel products, read the caption below it..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Britchie
      • Nov 2003

My mistake. Does Anyone know how difficult it would be for Rotel to add the IEEE 1394 port in the future? Or if it is even possible? This would be a nice feature to have.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

What would you use firewire for?

My guess is it might technically be possible given the card based design of the processor but unless it really takes off we won't see it offered. Truthfully I'm not sure we'll see any hardware upgrades offered but time will tell.

Comment

• Britchie
          • Nov 2003

I would connect my DVD player and try the Ipod through a firewire connection

Comment

• spiffnme
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
            What would you use firewire for?
            One firewire cable is a heck of a lot cheaper than 6 analog cables for DVD-A and SACD. Nearly all new receivers and universal players are offering a firewire output for DVD-A and SACD signals.

But until Rotel starts (if ever) offering SACD in their product line, I doubt they'll be adding firewire inputs to their receivers and processors.

I may be wrong, but I think Rotel's ignoring SACD is a mistake. Consumers like surround sound, and they like fewer wires.

In the end it's a SAF thing.

#1 - Surround sound - If the spouse is going to tollerate 7 speakers in the livingroom, you'd better dang well use them!

#2 - Fewer wires - Who likes a rats nest of wires? It's a pain for the audio junky for sort through, and it's ugly as sin for the spouse to look at.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
            All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

true but I only know of Denon and Pioneer that have a proprietory link between their receivers and DVD players or am I mistaken?

Comment

• Ossi
                • Jul 2003

true but I only know of Denon and Pioneer that have a proprietory link between their receivers and DVD players or am I mistaken?
                Mistaken! You need to count Sony with their 9000 ES in and the new TX-NR 1000 from Onkyo with the new Onkyo Multiplayer.
                Even if I think that the lack of I-Link might not be the big deal, the lack of HDMI on the 1098 surely is.

Comment

• Scarp
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ossi
                  Mistaken! You need to count Sony with their 9000 ES in and the new TX-NR 1000 from Onkyo with the new Onkyo Multiplayer.
                  Even if I think that the lack of I-Link might not be the big deal, the lack of HDMI on the 1098 surely is.
                  do you have more than two HDMI sources? If not, then just connect it direct to the projector (or whatever displays it). This will always give the best result.

Comment

• eelco74
                    • Dec 2002

a bit off topic perhaps,

but if you own a muliplayer with ilink
                    and you connect it to a receiver with ilink.

for pcm based it doen not matter where DA conversion is done. You can argue about quality of dacs in some reveivers. But most can do 24/96 or 24/192.

but for SACD they use DSD. What happes if you use Ilink. If dsd is converted to PCM and then decoded in the reveicer, it is useless.
                    Unless the receiver has a DSD decoder.

Any views on that ?

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Ossi
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by eelco74
                      a bit off topic perhaps,

but if you own a muliplayer with ilink
                      and you connect it to a receiver with ilink.

for pcm based it doen not matter where DA conversion is done. You can argue about quality of dacs in some reveivers. But most can do 24/96 or 24/192.

but for SACD they use DSD. What happes if you use Ilink. If dsd is converted to PCM and then decoded in the reveicer, it is useless.
                      Unless the receiver has a DSD decoder.

Any views on that ?
                      The DSD -> PCM conversion theory with a loose of sound quality is a bit old fashion. Take this as an example: The new Denon 5900 player has SACD and does not do any DSD -> PCM conversion as long as you do not use the time alignment that is also available for SACD on this player. However if you use it, it will perform a DSD-> PCM conversion. But :!: check out the sound. It is much better and more natural using time alignment and being able to set up the player correctly. So what I think is that is quite possible today to perform a sort of looseless convertion with the new chips available and therefore I am starting to be carefull about DSD->PCM being always a no, no.
                      Check out how good this player really is when setup with all features, BM and TM.
                      No if a player can perform this as good, a Pre/pro or Receiver could surely do the same even if there is a DSD->PCM conversion.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"