press releases from Rotel, all new products !!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Exactly.

If you gotta 'have it all', double your expense and get an Anthem.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

but will the option for PL2x will be available with a firmware upgrade in my RSX-1055?
      Only Rotel knows for sure but my guess would be that after they've sold enough of the new products not to worry about them (they are in business to make money ) and if the the older units hardware is capable of it, Rotel will give us as much as they can.

because that seems the only difference between the two units?
      As has already been stated, better processing, better bass management, no bass doubling, audio delay and DLP IIx. Who knows what else too. No one's actually seen one yet...lol

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Scarp
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by gd
        Exactly.

If you gotta 'have it all', double your expense and get an Anthem.
        Sure, and you can also save up for a Mark Levinson No40 ... but then your expenses go up more

Comment

• skipm
          • Jun 2003

You guys that want Rotel to jump on the SACD bandwagon know that there is an SACD2 spec already out there and it is NOT backward compatible with the current SACD spec. Your SACD discs will not play on the new SACD2 players and you current SACD player will not play the new SACD2 discs.

Also, DVI is a temporary, stop-gap solution. It doesn't support audio and only supports 8 bit video. HDMI supports 8 and 10 bit video and it also supports audio. The only problem is that no one has written the audio spec piece for HDMI yet so who knows how that's going to turn out.

And another thing that gets my boxers in a bunch is firewire. There's 1394, i.Link, Denon.Link, etc., etc. Sony had a one-way only version a few years ago that only worked with their DV cameras. Other vendors say they embrace it and include it until you buy their product only to learn that it's either disabled or may work with some equipment to be shipped at a later time. DirectTV says no way they will ever include it. Echostar put it in their new 921 stb but disabled it. I have one in my Comcast cable box but guess what, it's disabled.

Don't get me wrong, I like new stuff. I've been a SysAdmin for close to 20 years now so I've seen my share of new technology. Sometimes though it's nice to not be on the bleeding edge and I'm thankful that Rotel shares that thinking.

Wow, I feel much better now. :LOL:

-Skip

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

AMEN Skip!

I did not know about SACD2 though.... 8O ... Kinda glad I just bought a Denon 1600 now...lol (and I had been caught poutting about it at times...lol)

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• Nick V
              • May 2003

Well, the 1056 and 1068 are absolutely DTS 96/24 as I had speculated earlier. Check out the high rez pics over @ cinenow:

Rotel pics from CES 2004

Click Here to see my HT
              Click Here to see my HT

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Nick V
                Is that actually a Rotel flat-panel video monitor? . . . . damn!

The receivers' and pre-pro's faceplates are as handsome as ever (black for me, please) but I'd like to have a look at the rear ends.

That came out funny... oh well.
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• griddall
                  • Aug 2003

When can we expect to see more detailed specs on these new products (probably only Rotel could answer this)? I have been patiently awaiting the news on the RSP-1068, but the longer I wait, the more I read about other products that seem to fit what I am looking for (in particular the Sherwood P-965 seems to have everything I am looking for).

Patiently waiting...
                  Gil Riddall

Comment

• eelco74
                    • Dec 2002

I know, the hardest part is waiting until the unit acually arrives at my dealer. Or I can oder one.

And waiting is something I am not very good at you know...

But the pictures look promising. The rsp-1068 has a mutch wider screen than the 1066. Almost 50% more as it seems.

Well if it turns out sound alomst as good as the1098 and has the nice bass management features of it, I will be a very proud owner very soon....

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Are they actually making that flat panel?! 8O Man, I'd love to see some info on that :P

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                        • May 2003

Being the brat that I am, i was bugging Tim Wyatt on some url mistakes on the Rotel Site. He was a good sport though and actually tossed me a nice little bone:

I'm told the RSP 1068 will have video transcoding for upconverting composite and S to component. Hopefully, we'll have full information in just a little while.

Best Regards,
                        Tim Wyatt
                        Just the information i was after.
                        Count me in for one, as soon as i pick up some more speakers.
                        heh heh.

L.

-----------------------------------
                        "Some days yer the Dog, others yer the Hydrant."
                        "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
                        -Dark Helmet

Comment

• Lonewolf
                          • Jan 2004

Now this is the problem i have sometimes, i get annoyed when people get into trouble or get hassled and are accused of Rotel bashing just cos they say their opinion or expect a certain level of service. I think Rotel are pretty coolt he way they try to cater for the lower priced markets but still aim at sound quality first, thats all good. But lets face it, they have had a few blunders with RSP-1066 and i am willing to look past it cos they have gone out of their way to fix those issues and put out firmwares. BUT when i first went out looking for a Preamp / processor, i wanted upgradeability (the reason why i even decided on a preamp is cos i have the onkyo flagship albiet a older model now and it was a great buy at first but once i needed to upgrade for the new surround sound technology, i realised how annoying it is to have to get a whole new system rather than jus tthe new codecs/ software / dsps, and hence why i even settled on the idea of separates instead of receivers). And i may be biased cos i just bought the Rotel RSP-1066 a week ago and i am soo disappointed to find this site after i made the purchase and to find out that it is going to be replaced and even more annoyed about the fact that it may not ever get Dolby Prologic IIx, i mainly listen to tv / cable / satellite and videos and hence mostly its 2channel stereo sound and so Dolby Prologic and its successors will be the most commonly used DSPS.

And to find out that it may not get Prologic IIx for a while if ever is very disappointing especially since i figured thats what the whole concept of upgradeability is for otherwise why bother and we can be forced into always buying a whole new system. Now talkigna bout upgradeability, anyone ever see the Onkyo TX989? that had 2 very major upgrades and alot of new thigns added hardware and software wise with each upgrade, if a receiver can do all this Preamp should be doing a whole lot more. Again i repeat i dont mean to bash Rotel but i would be rather annoyed and disappointed if Rotel doesnt provide us with ongoing support for time to come. If you look at computer games, the good companies never stop supporting their older games and keep releasing addons / patches/ mods for them even when they have brought out newer games / sequels so it can be done, it is about money but it can also be done cos it should also be abotu the service and the name. See the main reason i bought Rotel was for their name, their name in sound quality and their name for their Pre amps basically, and in my eyes their name goes down a little if they feel that once a new model comes out they should completely stop supporting the older model. According to Dolby, apparently if you have Dolby Prologic or more importantly Prologic II then its meant to be very possible and easy for you to be upgraded to Prologic IIx.

Here are some links on Dolby Prologic IIx and a faq that talks about what brands are going to use it or are currently using it and also the upgrade options for the older models. By the way, i went for the Rotel RSP-1066 cos i wanted 7.1, my onkyo does 5.1 fine. So having Prologic IIx which is 7.1 and meant to be rather advanced at it too than Prologic II which is 5.1 is in my view quite useful and important for me, plus the technology and options have been improved anyway apparently. So i would like to have Prologic IIx on my RSP-1066 but alas its not upto me, and i suppose even if i dont get any more ugprades i will still be happy with it cos it does have good sound quality and support for alot of the older DSPs, another question on that, DTS Neo6 is 6.1 right? and is a competitor for Dolby Prologic is that right? how does that stack up against ProLogic II and Prologic IIx does anyone know?

Still abit disappointed about the fact that just after i get the RSP-1066 i find out that it will be discontinued and that a newer model is coming out, damn just my luck as usual.

http://www.dolby.com/Consumer/Technologies/PLIIx/

http://www.dolby.com/Consumer/Technologies/PLIIx/FAQ_ProLogicIIx.html

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

If you just bought it a week ago and your dealer won't take it back, first step is to find a new dealer.

Second, while it's not the same, Rotel XS processing does a hell of a job creating 7.1 from ANY mode, including PLII.

Third, if Rotel would have sold as many 1066's total as Onkyo did in 'upgrades', we probably would have and upgrade option. Rotel is a relatively small manufacturer and has to look at the cost/benefit relationship. There's also the hardware capability aspect. Everyone asks for all the amazing features to be added to the 1066. They did and we got the 1098 at twice the price. Everyone wanted it 'cheaper' again and we get the 1068. If the hardware can't do it, there's not much to complain about.

Fourth, I'm not sure how much each of the Onkyo upgrades were, but for comparasons, I just sold my 1066 at new years for $1200US. New model is $1700. Add in taxes, Ebay fees, dealer discount (this will be at least the second thing you've purchased, they should give a discount). We'll just balance it out to $500. Now, $500 isn't that bad of a price to get PLIIx, video upconversion, groupd delay, speaker delay, bigger lcd, better bass management, etc,etc...

I don't think you're Rotel bashing, your just relieving the stress of finding us after purchasing your 1066. But I do get a little tired of people expecting similar upgrade paths from a company that probably sells 10% of what another does.

Welcome to the club and I hope you'll make a wonderful contribution. I will reiterate my first comment. Your dealer should have told you about the new models, not us. If he won't take it back after a week or two find another dealer. If he's hard to deal with, don't even say it's because of the new model. Tell him you don't like the way it sounds and come back to try the 1068 when it arrives..

Kevin D.

Comment

• skipm
                              • Jun 2003

Lonewolf-

Welcome to the Club! As I understand it, the only reason that the 1066 will not be getting DPL IIx is that there is not enough memory available on the firmware to handle the DPL IIx code. I'm sure if they could they would. They have a very good track record of trying to keep their existing customer base happy. More so than a lot of other companies.

If you really need DPL IIx then you need to talk to your dealer. Hopefully he will do the right thing. And I too do not feel like you are bashing Rotel. It's always good to vent and we are a pretty laid back group here so feel free.

-Skip

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

I'd say that wasn't bashing, just understandable frustration based on buying a product at the end of it's cycle without being aware of it. If it makes you feel any better I only got mine a couple months ago...lol

I agree with Kevin, talk to your dealer, there shouldn't be a problem exchanging it for the 1068 if he's not an idiot.

Good luck

Jason

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"