X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Dolby Pro Logic IIx and Parasound products

This new 7.1 sound processing format has been released since the introduction of the Halo equipment, and is currently only carried by a fraction of available new receivers and processors on the market today. Here's a good website describing DPL IIx:

While Parasound hasn't given any indication as far as whether they will include DPL IIx in future products or upgrades, I for one would like to see it as a upgrade to the C1/C2 processors, if for no other reason than just the pure principle of owning equipment that has all the latest gadgets, toys, and capabilities. (I also would like to see DVI/HDMI switching for the same reason)

Up for discussion, though, would be how useful this upgrade would be for the C1/C2, since while different in function, they do already have DTS ES, THX EX, and THX Ultra 2 processing.

I found this parallel discussion in Club Rotel to be worth reading:

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Dolby Prologic IIx is not something that I'm currently missing.

For normal 5.1 sources, I use their original formats.
    Since I have a 5.1 setup, I never benefit from the 6.1 sources.
    For stereo source I keep it at stereo playback, even if it says "surround" stuff.

The only thing that I sometimes turn on is the Natural mode on the C2. It sounds very nice for music. A lot better than Dolby Prologic II.

Comment

• goldear
      • Aug 2003

I was talking to Richard Schram yesterday (having some C2 problems) and was joking about how I wouldn't mind having the 7.1 "party" mode that a few users are getting and he did say he would consider it when they implimented DPLIIx. So, they are working on it now, and it could be a software download. He's sending me a new unit out next week with the 6.52 vers software, so I"ll see if any substantive changes have been made.

Chris B
      Chris B

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

(loud trumpet fanfare) Hey, cool, on both DPL IIx and the 6.52 version. If you do get a 6.52 model, let us know how it turns out!

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• goldear
          • Aug 2003

Hi Chris,

I just talked with Tony this AM, and instead of sending me a new unit, we are going to first try to see if the new 6.52 software fixes some of my bugs. I just downloaded it this morning...but haven't spent a lot of time with it, yet. From my brief look, it appears to be nothing more than a more stable software version from my old one that was giving me problems. When speaking with Tony, he confirmed that it is basically a "fix" for those who may still be having some quirks (e.g. "digital errors" and freezing when using my STB). If your unit is operating fine, you may not even want to bother with it. I will do some further evaluating tonite and see if there are any additional features or functions that were added and report back if I find anything.

Chris B
          Chris B

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"