X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ecthelion
    • Jan 2006

thinking about rb 1080

ive been usein klipsch rf 7 with marantz sr 8500 only for stereo would rotel's amp(rb1080) make significant diffrence ??????????????????
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

I owned a Marantz Sr8200 (6 x 120 watt) and was not at all pleased with its sound.

I then added a multichannel Sony amp 5 x 115 watts.

With the addition of the multichannel amp the difference was a considerably better sound in both music cd's and dvd's

I have not heard the Sr8500 but I suspect that as I found, should you add a stereo amp such as the rb1080 there should be a substantial improvement, particularly at louder volumes. Probably more of an improvement than I got.

My later purchase of the RSP 1068 in place of the Sr 8200 as a preamp was also an improvment in sound again.

I suspect that there is not a lot of difference in the preamp side or the power supplies between the Sr 8500 and the Sr 8200, the 8500 may be 7.1 whereas the 8200 was 6.1 but this should not affect sound quality.

I dont mean to put the Sr8500 down as I have not heard it but if it is anything like the Sr 8200 I had then you can look forward to an improvement.

Good luck Pete

Comment

• BWzes03
      • Oct 2005

I've been using the excelent RMB-1075 to drive my 5 speakers, until I've gotten a very sweet deal on a used RB-1080. The RB-1080 had the same 'output' level as the RMB-1075 (5x120W or 2x150W in stereo-mode) so my preamp levels stayed the same.
      However, in stereo performance, the differences were just a little short of amazing, the soundstage is much more defined, instruments take a solid place in the stereo field, the transients are effortless, the bass is strikingly better particulary at higher volumes.
      I suspect that if you audition a RB-1080 within your system, it will be difficult to part with it again, should you not buy it.

Like mr. Bleeding Ears said: Good luck!

Comment

• ds22030
        • Sep 2004

Well, I have the 8400 (which is very similar to 8500) and a 1080 in the house. I am impressed with the 8400 in terms of build (toriodal, copper chassis) as well as sound. If you are talking about adding 1080 to your set up, you will probably notice a difference but not convinced that it would be that significant at normal listening levels, esp. considering you have very efficient speakers that dont need much power. Marantz is pretty stout. It may run out of steam when driving a full HT but I think for stereo pushing Klipsh...it would be fine...

BTW, BWzes...1080 is a 200w amp...substantially more power, and more importantly, current than the 1075. I agree that it sounds much better than 1075 which I replaced with the 1080, esp. if you are running difficult speakers as I was....

Comment

• AB11
          • Jul 2005

No 1080 here but 1095 and 1090 with RF7s

I can tell you the 1090 works very well with the RF7s. I would assume the 1080 will work well too but...

I have run the RF7s from a RMB1095 and there is not a subtle difference between these two amps powering these speakers - the 1090 is better. How? Please don't make me use those audioflyle terms but I will say the bass is much more defined with the 1090.

If I were you I would look for a 1090. I know it works.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"