X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

ATI 7500 or 8500?

Okay I need to make a decision within the next couple of days.

To begin, I was going to just get the 7500 for the dual monitor support and DVD play back. Those were the two most important criteria, gaming is a distant 3rd.

But then I looked at pricing and what came with each card, I started to lean towards the 8500, not only is it faster, but it's not that much more over the 7500, C$212 for the 7500 vs C$275 for the 8500. I was comparing retail box versions. It is my understanding that the DVI to VGA adaptor only come in the retail box versions. So that's another reason I was looking at retail box versions. But it looks like these little doodads only cost about C$25. If that's the case, then I could look at the cheaper OEM 7500, which would only run around C$150.

Now to muddy the waters some. I'm now also considering a CPU upgrade. I'm looking at adding a Celeron 1.1 G with a socket adaptor to my system.

So here are my scenarios:
    Scenario 1: Retail 8500. Cost CDN$275
    Scenario 2: CPU upgrade and OEM 7500, best value? Cost CDN$340
    Scenario 3: CPU upgrade and Retail 8500, best performance? Cost CDN$440

So for an extra $65 I can get a new processor and the OEM 7500 card. Would the peformance equal just adding the

8500 to my existing system? I'll have to check some benchmarks.

For an extra $165 I can do the CPU upgrade and get the retail 8500 for the best performance.

Before I wasn't thinking of gaming due to my slow Celeron 450, but with a CPU upgrade to 1.1 G, I think some gaming may be in order. And the 8500 may just fit the bill.

I thought of the AIW 7500 card, but it doesn't support dual monitors, so that's out.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Paul, might want to check the Celeron 1.3 price, if it is compatible with your mobo.

It is my understanding that the DVI to VGA adaptor only come in the retail box versions.
    That is not accurate on the OEM version of the 7500 AIW. IT does come with the DVI to VGA converter. I cannot comment on the others.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Well Paul I would recommend staying away from the OEM versions of the Radeons. They typically underclock the OEM versions from the purported retail clock speeds. It's not a big deal, but it's another one of those underhanded things that the industry tends to pull on the consumer. If you want the best performance stick with the retail versions, if price is a factor then certainly go with the OEM, I think ATI just supplies the OEM sector with the higher yield chips thinking that most OEM users will not care were as the retailers typically know what they are buying.

ATI tends to bundle a lot of nice software as well with the retail box, just another consideration.

I would tend to by the 8500 for it is one fast card and would last you for sometime yet, that and you know the bottle neck will generally not be the card. The 7500 is a good choice if your looking to save some money, it's still fast, but not up to GF3Ti speeds like the 8500.

I don't have a working knowledge with the slot-socket adapters, and I don't have a good feel about them. It may depend on who is making the adapter, I think Intel made their own. I have read of some who stated they had no problems whats so ever, however I have also read that it prompted some to just go out and buy a new Mobo after their attempts at using a slot-socket adapter.

Can anyone else shed some light on the adapter?

Ask Patrick Sun for he went this route, and maybe Andrew dabbled with it as well.

Sorry if I have confused more than I have helped...

Given the senarios, I would chose #1

This way you know you have a kickass card. You could price shop and pick up a Mobo down the line.

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Lex: The C1.3 is more expensive and I've read not compatible, so the max is 1.1G.

Bing: Thanks for the info. How much stock can I put into the ATI analyzer on ATI's site? The 7500 is supposed to be 2264% faster and the 8500 is 4033% faster than my current card.

Interestingly enough, my work PC with the Matrox G450, the 8500 is only 187% faster and the 7500 is 151%. Looks like any VC upgrade will be a large improvement.

I'm looking to buy an ASUS adaptor. I want to stick with a good name brand adaptor. Hell if it don't work, I'll have a very expensive key chain.
        Paul

Comment

• Wireless
          • Feb 2001

If DVD playback is a main consideration, I would stay away from the 8500. According to Cliff Watson who put a scope to the card, the gamma on the 8500 is inaccurate or as he calls it broken.

John
          My HT Picts
          John
          My HT Picts

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Good advice John. I remember someone saying something in that regard myself... Maybe it was Jon Marsh.

Actually, I think Paul's main concern is dual monitor support. Non HT PC.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

That's correct Lex. Dual monitor support first, DVD playback second. Plus the playback will be to monitor and not to TV, not sure if that makes any difference. I think I heard about the gamma problems, so I'll be checking how big the problem is when I watch my first DVD.

Oh, I decided to get the 8500. I'm holding off on the CPU upgrade, as the cost of the CPU and adaptor is about the same as a new AMD XP 1600+.

Paul

Paul

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"