X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnstableHTFReak
    • Jan 2004

1098 Switching/Audio drop-out

?: Hi all,
    I recently purchased a 1098 Pre/Pro and I'm having issues with the auto- sensing connected to a Sony S550 DVD player. Every time I change chapters or the disk changes layers it switches between anolog and optical/coaix. I've tried both optical and coaxil connections with the same results. The audio also drops out durring this switch - very annoying.

I am considering the B&K Ref.50, as I have not found this problem with it.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This is really odd as no one else has complained about their 1098 doing that. I have heard complaints before with sony DVD players from that vintage so it could be the DVD player. I do know that my Denon 1600 doesn't cause the 1098 to have to reaquire the lock. Are you sure you have the DVD player input on the 1098 set to the correct digital input? Also what's the default surround mode set to?

Comment

• sramsay
      • Dec 2003

I'm pretty sure my RSP-1098 does exactly the same thing with my Toshiba SD-210E. I know I momentarily lose sound and the relays in the RSP-1098 click on a layer change but I'll have to check whether it is switching between analog and optical/coax though. I usually have the screen of the RSP-1098 off during a movie and haven't had a chance to look at this issue yet.

I have my default surround mode set to PCM 2 Channel.

I'm hoping there is some sort of firmware update to fix this issue.

Scott.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Mark I replied to your email but basically I think its the Sony dropping the signal. I'd suggest picking up a panasonic or denon progressive scan player from somewhere with a good return policy and try that player to see if it still occurs. Depending on which TV you have getting a progressive scan player would greatly benefit you anyway and you can get a progressive panasonic for under $125 at best buy etc.

Comment

• sramsay
          • Dec 2003

I checked the behaviour of my RSP-1098 with the Toshiba SD-210E tonight and this is what I found. When changing chapters or on layer changes the RSP-1098 loses lock (DD or DTS) and switches to that input's default surround mode (in my case PCM 2 Channel), it doesn't actually switch to analog.

In my case I'm assuming that this isn't really the RSP-1098's fault but I'm guessing that the DVD player stops sending an appropriate Dolby Digital or DTS signal so the RSP-1098 drops back to its default surround mode.

I'm wondering whether other DVD players continue to send an appropriate DD or DTS signal during layer and chapter changes.

Scott.

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

Usually its the player's fault. It stops sending a correct DTS/DD bitstream and therefor the pre/pro loses its signal lock. However there are different ways of handling this. E.g., my Parasound C2, will revert back to "digital PCM (stereo)" during chapter change. However, retrieves its lock quickly again. This is in combination with my Onkyo DV-SP800 multiplayer.

There is not much that you can do about this issue. The only thing is that Rotel makes it such that the signal doesn't switch back so quickly, however this has other problems again when you really want it to change (e.g. when it really does switch from stereo to DTS/DD).

You could attempt experimenting with a different player, but I doubt it will resolve much of this issue. These issues are not limited to Rotel, so I dont think Rotel can really be blamed.

Comment

• DPA
              • Nov 2003

Well I have the same issue with the changing layer audio dropouts with my Philips 963SA DVD...

Im starting to get some really enoying issues on my 1098... whining sound from the center channel and this relay switching then dvds changing to layer two.. I hope that there will show up some sort of fix for these problems..

http://www.prisjakt.nu/galleri.php?user=Demon
              Demon Dungeon

Comment

• UnstableHTFReak
                • Jan 2004

Thanks for all the repiles.
                This is truly one of the best fourms, you guys are great!
                Anyhow I think my problem lies in my DVD player. Its pretty old and I don't think it has a memory buffer. My display is the Sony KV40XBR, so I really shuold move up to an progressive scan player. Although I may wait for HD-DVD. I saw a post of the Samsung player, maybe HD players will hit the market soon.

Agian,Thank you.
                Mark

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Mark I wouldn't wait for HD DVD as its going to be awhile before they're out and even longer before we see any real media on that format. My advise to you is to go out and get one of the Denon DVD players as they've got the best video and a memory buffer that seems to mesh well with my 1098..and you can get a 910 for pretty cheap or get the 2200 for a universal player to take advantage of SACD and DVD-A.

Comment

• UnstableHTFReak
                    • Jan 2004

Thanks agian Andrew,
                    I think your absolutely right! I'm going with one of Denons players.
                    Its soo easy to get caught up in all the latest and greatest mumbo-jumbo.
                    Sometimes it just gets the best of me.

Mark

Comment

• riwi
                      • Jan 2004

Hi,

I am the new owner of Scarp's RSP1066 and RMB1075. I also have a 2 channel RB991.

I have the same audio dropout problem as is described here. I have a philips 963SA DVD player. This player did not provoke this behaviour with my previous Yamaha DSP-A2 amp. Therefore I definately think it is a Rotel fault. Especially since I see that it also occurs with the RSP1098 and with other DVD players. I think it is very annoying. It is strange that I haven't heard anyone else complaining about this, since I have been reading this forum for over a year.
                      Has anyone inquired about this at Rotel yet?

Regards, Richard

Comment

• cofn
                        • Dec 2002

I have been having this problem all along as well, just thought it was normal. Annoying, but normal. I find I have the same issue with alot of games on the Xbox. When a game is loading it often has to lock onto the signal again. I have a RDV-1080 dvd player, so if anything you would think there would be less of an issue with their own products, but no such luck. I was kinda thinking it may be a DVD/Media issue more than the player, as there have been a rare few disc, and games that do not have this problem.

Comment

• UnstableHTFReak
                          • Jan 2004

Sorry Guys, But I'm droping my 1075 & 1098.
                          I'm moving to the B&K Ref.50 & 200.5.
                          All of your suggestions and comments are very much appreciated.
                          I hope you can find a way to forgive me.
                          Thanks agian, I'll let you know how I make out.
                          Mark

Comment

• mk
                            • Dec 2003

I notice exactly the same problem (the 1098 switchs during chapter and layer change) whith the very last Pionner reader 868 Avi !!!

Seems it is really a problem with the ROTEL note the player ....

Comment

• mk
                              • Dec 2003

I notice exactly the same problem (the 1098 switchs during chapter and layer change) with the very last Pionner reader 868 Avi !!!

Seems it is really a problem with the ROTEL note the player ....

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"