X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toledoguy
    • Jul 2008

Room Correcting Parameric Equalizer?

I have a true need for a automatic room correcting parametric equalizer if such a beast exists. Let me explain. I live in a condo which is built with the "Great Room" concept. The Living room, dining, entry area is all one big room with celings that run to a very high peak of 30' (and provide a nightmare for changing lights) The Kitchen was sort of a box with walls that ran to 10' or so, we had the walls taken down for the kitchen and now that whole part of the house is wide open.

The Home Theatre set up is over in one corner with the HD Tv, and the audio rack next to it. I have an Outlaw 990 connected to Rotel RM-1050 and RMB-1066 amps, the speakers are unimportant for now as I hope to replace over the next year or so. The Outlaw 990 lets me set some fairly specific parameters for the prime listening position, such as distance from each of the speakers in a 7.1 set up, the db boost on each of those, and the low pass crossover to deal with what is sent to the sub vs each set of the speakers.

So for HT purposes the set up is fairly good. The problem is listening to two channel or 2.1 audio. The CD player, the Sirius receiver, music in other words. When I'm in the Kitchen, or on the other side of the room paying the bills on the computer, or other stuff, I'm no longer in the prime listening position, and the room dynamics greatly come into play.

So I've been hunting for a room correcting parametric equalizer. My guide line has been the Velodyne SMS-1. That's a really neat tool that with it microphone, it's anyalyzer, and automatic functions, flattens out subwoofer response. It has many preset functions so you can get the best sub response for HT from the prime position, and then for music listening from other positions. All accesable by a remote, and preset. So you could have your universal remote automatically switch modes depending upon what you want to listen to.

What I'm looking for is a parametric equalizer that preforms the same functions as the Velodyne SMS-1 accross a broader spectrum Subwoofer to Tweeter. I hope what I'm looking for makes sense. Does anyone know of such an item? Preferably one that could take on all the channels in a 7.1 set up, but if not at least the fronts and the sub. I've found some decent parametric equalizers and even some that can be used sort of the way I want but they'll handle only two channels. I suppose I could defeat the equalizer for HT purposes, have it on for 2 channel audio and seperatley adjust the sub. But if there is something out there that can do it all, I'd love to find it.

Thanks for the help
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Here are the options, afaik, for full-spectrum multichannel room EQ.

1. You could replace your Outlaw 990 with a more up-to-date prepro that has a good roomEQ in it. NAD, Denon, Integra and Onkyo using Audyssey MultEQ XT are good. Same for the Anthem processors with ARC. Promised for the (near or not so near) future are prepros from Parasound (Audyssey) and Outlaw (Trinnov). The Classe SSP-800 has a very flexible parametric EQ but you need external tools and some knowledge to set them properly.

2. You could use an add-on EQ like the Audyssey Sound Equalizer which I find is excellent. Also, while I have not used it, the NeptuneEQ seems to fit your specs.

Another idea might be to get hold of RoomEQ Wizard (freeware) and do some testing to see exactly what EQ you need. Perhaps, your requirements will be more modest.........but I doubt it.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"