X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoshK
    • Mar 2005

Small on-wall surrounds

I know the topic of smaller monitors was discussed before, but usually for a different purpose. Also no solutions that I know were proposed. Chris's RS150 mt I think was actually relatively large.

I am looking to do a medium profile on wall surround since I am actually considering adding surrounds to my living HT setup. However, large is completely out, simply no room and no WAF. If I ever move this HT to a dedicated room Modula MT's will be on the agenda, but not now.

I was thinking of just using the seas 5" coax, but I haven't modeled what size box I'd need for it. I think I could cross the surrounds relatively high, say 160hz. This wouldn't be for reference level HT effects, this is just to add some ambience and experience to watching movies.

Anyone have any other interesting ideas for small on wall surrounds that might compete with the seas 5" coax? I took a look at Zaph's Audax 3" on wall but I am just afraid the 80db/watt is too low to keep up with Modula MTM fronts and Avalanche 15" subs (to come...2 in floor mounted IB).
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Check out Zaph's Slimline wall-mounted project - an MTM variant may be possible which should bump up sensitivity to ~86dB.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JoshK
      • Mar 2005

Interesting....yeah an MTM or TMM could be interesting. It will be on wall so it will get a bit of bass support.

I have a strange layout in my living room. Basically my couch is in a tall and wide archeway (~7' x 9-11'). The thought I has was mounting the speakers to the wall with the archeway pointing at the listening area. So imagine the baffle would be perpendicular to the wall and the sides parrallel. I envisioned a cabinet like GR Research's surrounds but pointed at the listener instead of up the wall.

The small drivers in Zaph's slimline would allow for a narrow baffle protruding from the wall. Interesting....

Comment

• RPiatt
        • Dec 2006

I have similar space concerns, as I live in a townhouse. I am discussing a RS125 based MTM (2.5 way)with Roman right now, based off his Microbe SE, but I think that might even be too big (but I think I am willing to risk it with the WAF).

But this slimline design has possibilities, especially when modified into a MTM. I'd be interested to create a a whole 5-speaker set of these, but maybe with a different tweeter...

Even with a different tweeter, this would make for a nice unobtrusive speaker... And those Silver Auras just look cool I have to admit...
        - Randy

"Only those who risk going too far truly know how far they can go." -- T.S. Eliot

Comment

• Andy_G
          • Jul 2005

something like these does a good job as wall mounted rears.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"