Does anyone use different pre-amp with RB-1080?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

Does anyone use different pre-amp with RB-1080?

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone is using pre-amp (different brand besides rotel) with RB-1080? how do you like the sound?
    thanks.
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

I'd be curious to see what others have to say as well.

Comment

• kurtholz
      • Feb 2005

i use a Krell with a Rotel 1095 for rear surrounds and back center, i did use a Rotel previously with it, the 1067, i use a Krell KAV3250 for the front three

the Krell processor did make a huge difference with the rotel amp,but it still sounds like Rotel, ( i'm not implying that is bad) just not in my opinion real hi-fi, but very good bang for the bucks,

the Krell is twice the price for maybe 20% improvement in sound

you know, it's subjective, and i am not by any means the end all authority on what is best, just my own personal opinion

i did bi-amp the 1095 first to my fronts just to A/B the 2 amps, but it just isnt near the sound field i get from just regular bi-wiring thru the krell amp

it's just a different league i think, the 1095 is going away at some point, just havent decided on mono-blocks for the front and go back to 5.1 or another KAV3250 to keep 7.1

so many decisions, :-)

Kurt

Comment

• audiofan
        • May 2004

RB-1080 , RC-1070 sound pretty good on my previous Axiom M60ti. But now i have Totem Forrest and i think Rotel sounds thin to me.

At this point i'm not sure if it's the pre-amp RC-1070 or not . And I don't know if replacing different pre-amp will solve the problem 'cause i don't have easy way to demo it with RB-1080. So i rely pretty on others opinion (positive and negative).

My other option is to go with Integrated amp (either Plinius 9200 or Krell 400xi). I actually heard Plinius at the dealer, but the setup was not the same as i have at home.

Thanks.

Comment

• thyname
          • Jan 2005

This is really confusing, I know that my system (RB-1080 RC-1070) sound very good with my Axiom M60, but sooner I later I know I will upgrade my speakers. Will a more expensive speaker like B&W 703 or 805 sound worse than Axiom with my current Rotel setup, or I would need to upgrade from Rotel as well? Very confusing!

Comment

• audiofan
            • May 2004

Thyname,
            Like others, it's just my personal taste. I must say that combo rc-1070 and rb-1080 are very good. However, they're just not fitting well to my new speaker (totem). If i have to change, i will replace at least the pre-amp.

Comment

• thyname
              • Jan 2005

I totally understand you. My point is that upgraditis is really bad, once you upgrade your speakers, then you "need" to upgrade the electronics, and then again speakers, and so on. Very expensive hobby!

Comment

• audiofan
                • May 2004

...i know....it's expensive hobby. When i first got Rotel system , i told myself it was it. But now, i want to change it again...and i don't know for sure if this ends right here or not. However, i find a good excuse though that my Axiom M60 is in HT, but Totem is in my 2 channel room... i am lucky to have separate room for music listening even though it's pretty small (12x14).

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

I probably have the most unusual preamp...it's called no preamp at all. I drive my 1080 directly from my Shanling CDT 100A cd player which has digital volume control before the dacs and the analog tube op amps. I must say that the sound of the 1080 is very very very clean when unhindered by a pre-pro.
                  Last edited by DrJRapp; 03 January 2006, 21:52 Tuesday.
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• thyname
                    • Jan 2005

Here you go, thanks Jerry, another toy to consider for the future :lol:

Comment

• audiofan
                      • May 2004

I think rc-1070 , although it's good , is a weakest line of rotel. My friend has Arcam pre-processor and the bass is awesome (tight and clean) . He connects it to RMB-1075. I think Krell pre-amp will be great when connected to RB-1080, but audition is a must before i make decision...

Comment

• Joey_V
                        • Jul 2005

Everyone badgers on the RC1070 (now that I just acquired one from ebay)... what is so bad about the RC1070? What about its construction and parts makes it not so good?
                        Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                        Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• miner
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Joey_V
                          Everyone badgers on the RC1070 (now that I just acquired one from ebay)... what is so bad about the RC1070? What about its construction and parts makes it not so good?
                          Everyone has their opinion - what matters is if you are happy with your RC-1070. I bought the RC-1070 because of the great reviews it got for its phono stage and overall value/$. I am very happy with mine. The next model up would have cost $700 more for a few extra bells/whisltes and nothing audibly better. I like the clean look of the RC-1070. There is a reason why Rotel discontinued the RC-1090 in NA last year - the RC-1070 was outselling it.

Comment

• audiofan
                            • May 2004

RC-1070 is good for its money. I like it. It's just my personal preference and taste when i use it with the Totem Forrest i have. I agree with Miner that rc-1070 looks nice and clean.

Comment

• grit
                              • Jan 2005

I think you'll find there is nothing wrong with Rotel's pre/pro-s; they're just not the best money can buy. For the price, they are excellent. You can always get better, but it'll cost more (diminishing returns though). For example, my understanding is Classe', which is made by the same company as Rotel, is in another league above Rotel. So is the price tag!

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"