Is the Rotel RMB-1095 a bad excuse for an amplifier?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BKSinAZ
    • Feb 2003

Is the Rotel RMB-1095 a bad excuse for an amplifier?

Thinking of going out and Buying the RMB-1095. I have had a few post from people trying to talk me out of this amp. I have read a few reviews of a BUZZING sound that can't be fixed. Is this on all the RMB-1095 amps or is this a user error in their system setup? What are my chances of getting a bad amp?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Not really.. The only changes are different style binding posts.. Different but not really better/worse in any way..

Kevin D.

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

What other amps have you considered/auditioned?

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I forgot to add that if you are interested, I put together a spreadsheet that compares many of the major multi-channel amps and their respective specs. If you'd like a copy, e-mail me and I'll reply with the spreadsheet attached. Many have found it informative and helpful.

Jim

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jimmyp58
          I forgot to add that if you are interested, I put together a spreadsheet that compares many of the major multi-channel amps and their respective specs. If you'd like a copy, e-mail me and I'll reply with the spreadsheet attached. Many have found it informative and helpful.

Jim
          Specs say little to none. I listened to a Krell with only 2x 70 watt and this outperformed any Rotel amp (even the RB1090 with 2x 330 watts).

It might be informative, but nothing more.

The only thing to check on your RMB1095 is that it has the clear WBT binding posts and a 12 volts trigger. These features where added more recently. However any new unit should be like that.

Comment

• jimmyp58
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Scarp:

You are right...specs are informative and my comment dove-tails to the previous reply I had. Did he compare the 1095 to any other multi-channel amp (whether through specs, research of review articles, and/or audition --- particularly audition)? To me, the specs are merely a starting point. You throw a bunch of options into a funnel, do some research, and perhaps narrow your options down to maybe 3 or 4 different multi-channel amps. From there, go and audition them and let your ears tell you what you like and enjoy listening to. But the specs allow for some objective information to be processed versus simply purchasing an amp, any amp, on pure emotion.

There is no doubt that the Krell you refer to outperforms most amps out there. Why? Build, quality of build, circuitry, attention to detail, parts (high quality), engineering, and so forth. Throw all those elements in and you have specs. I guarantee you that one of the reasons the Krell outperforms many others is all these factors I just cited. And I am sure the Krell's specs are superior to any Rotel available.

The point I was trying to make with our friend is unless he's done some additional homework prior to this purchase, there are options other than the 1095 available to him.. This doesn't mean the 1095 is a bad option either. Many Rotel reps talk about "bang for the buck" or "best value". It is true that Rotel is a great value but I have come to learn there are options other than Rotel that are of equal if not better value. No one should simply plop down a couple thousand hard-earned dollars without knowing all that is available. And at the end-of-the-day if the Rotel RMB-1095 is the winner, great. But I/we'd be remiss to not educate him prior to his purchase.

Jim

Comment

• BKSinAZ
              • Feb 2003

check on your RMB1095 is that it has the clear WBT binding posts .
              What is WBT mean?

Comment

• BKSinAZ
                • Feb 2003

what are other options? List some multi amps for the same price that are a better deal.

Comment

• Scarp
                  • Mar 2003

jimmy, comparison is never bad

Ow... besides the Rotel RMB1095, the Bryston amps are also terrific amps and not so very expensive in the USA/Canada (in Holland they are almost twice the price of the Canadian prices!).

WBT is a brand of cable supplies. They make cinch connectors, speakercable binding posts for amps and speakers, etc. Check www.wbtusa.com. They are one of the most well known and most popular. And they make terrific products.

Comment

• Legairre
                    • Jan 2002

I've had my 1095 since Nov of 2000 and it's simply the best piece of gear I own. I've upgraed to a 61" RPTV, new speakers and even a Rotel 1066 since buying the 1095 and I still consider it my favorite piece in my system.

My 1095 doesn't hum anymore. After I first received my 1095 it did hum or I should say my cable TV coax made my system hum. I used a few pieces of old speaker wire and ran one from my cable TV coax to my 1066 and then from my 1066 to the 1095 and then one from the 1095 to the center screw of the dedicated outlet the 1095 is pluged into. All of a sudden my hum is gone. Tying the grounds together got rid of my hum.
                    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                    Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

oops..

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"