X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

1068 issues/bad unit?

OK, i'm very frustrated... i set up my 1068 and don't feel that it made that much of a difference, if any, over using my onkyo receiver as the processer with my 1075. I was expecting it to blow me away... on top of that, i now have buzzing coming from all channels that i didn't have with the onkyo. i have read about this buzzing issue before but i have not changed anything except swapping the two. I'm not sure why it would be present in one and not the other if my wiring is the same. The source could be a belkin surge protector I am using, but I didn't have time to trouble shoot. Also, the on screen display via the composite video cable flickered in and out and finally completely went out on me in the middle of setup. I had to pull the TV and stuff out again to switch the cable to s-video so i could finish setting it up (it worked for the time being and it's not the tv input b/c i tested it with another component). I guess I'll have to take it back for a replacement unit to see if it sounds any better and to fix the on screen display issue. The only thing I was impressed with is the bypass mode for 2 channel with my DAC1. it sounds as thought the 1068 is passing through a cleaner signal. I'm guessing the onkyo wasn't a true bypass.

AJ

P.S. - It does look very sweet in my rack with my 1075 ;-)
    AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

I just spoke to my dealer. They are going to order a new unit so I can just bring the one I have in and swap it once they receive it. I don't feel like rewiring the onkyo again and then having to do it a 3rd time when the 2nd 1068 comes in so I guess I'll just have to live with it in the mean time.

AJ

Comment

• Pez
      • May 2004

I had a hum issue when I switeched from a Denon receiver / Earthquake amp to 1068 and 1075. I was more than a little PO'ed to say the least since this problem was not happening with the former gear. Luckily for me I switched power outlets and the problem was gone. Rotel seems to be super sensitive to ground loop issues, at least thats my anaylsis.

Comment

• ajpoe
        • Jul 2004

here's another one for you... lol, this thing must really be screwed up. i was going to continue using it until i got my new one so i stopped at radio shack and picked up the 3.5mm mono wire to use as my 12v trigger. i hooked it into 12v 1 on the back of 1068 and the 1075 and flipped the trigger on on the amp. i set the 12v trigger on in the setup of the 1068 to 1 and thought i'd be ready to go. i turn on the 1068 and nothing... the amp doesnt kick on. so i look and make sure i did everything right... i tried to pull the plug back out of the 1068 12v trigger and it was hot as hell. it had melted the metal piece right out of the rubber and it was smoking. needless to say i turned it all off and pulled out the metal piece that was still stuck in the 1068 with a cloth. now i need to get a new 12v trigger wire too! LOL

Comment

• shadow
          • Dec 2003

if you melted a 12 volt pin I suggest that you not use this unit unless you are not concerned about a possible fire hazard.

Comment

• ajpoe
            • Jul 2004

Update: My new unit will be in on Wed or Thurs. My dealer said I could use a processor they had laying around if I wanted, but they suggested I just use my unit and keep the 12v trigger unplugged and only keep the actual unit plugged in while using it. This is kind of a pain, but less of a pain than unhooking everything, hooking up a temp unit and then repeating when new unit comes in. On a possitive note, I have noticed that the original buzz has seemed to fade away if not completely disappear. May be it was a break in issue... at least this will lead me to be more patient with the new unit if the buzz appears in it as well. Hopefully it doesn't melt any wires....

AJ

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"