• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jordie
    • Dec 2003

new addict

Hi all!
    I am a newbie so don't be hard on me
    I have been reading ab speakers and receivers for 3 months now and I got so confused that I kinda want to give up and buy "whatever" receiver w/ whatever speakers.......anyway...after reading so much..I kinda like Magnepan speakers mg12 ,def techs,b&w.As for receivers ...PE 45tx,nad t762 ,marantz 7400, rotel 1055.pleaaaaaaaseeeeeee help for the best combo 60%music/40%movies....(buget for speakers-2500$,receiver-1500$)
    thanks y'all!

memyselfandio
    memyselfandio
  • mazuly
    • Feb 2003

Hi,

Welcome to the club Rotel.

My vote is for B&W speakers with RSX-1055, but this is the sound combination that I like personally and that may not necessarily sound good to you. And by the way Rotel with B&W speakers is what I have in my living room (Actually not exactly the same as the combination you want though, RSP-1098, RMB-1075, B&W DM310 and DM600)

My best advise to you is to stop reading and start listening. With all the readings you have done it seems that you have it down to number of receiver and speaker manufacturers and I am sure you know all the specifications of these products by heart. Take some movies and CDs you like to a dealer and spend some time listening to these products. Good dealers usually match the components so they produce the best sound possible and that way you can buy the system that sounds best to you. Just make sure you listen to them in the same loudness, because sometimes louder can be perceived as better sounding.

Good luck and let us know what you decided on, and I hope it is a Rotel with B&W at the end (sorry could not resist saying that )

Thanks,
    Maziar

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Of your listed choices I'd personally go with Rotel/B&W as well. You may want to wait for a month or two on the Rotel though as they're supposed to be releasing new products in that time to replace the 1055, 1065 and 1066. That means either you might get the new model or hopefully a better deal on a used 1055, whichever route you choose.

If it was up to me I'd say you should go listen to some Energy speakers in the Connoisseur/Veritas lines (you should be able to afford some large Connoisseur's or smaller Veritas with that budget) I love Energy's performance vs. cost and personally don't think anyone beats them in this regard. They have awesome mids and highs, good bass and wicked imaging & soundstage. The "merely" good bass can easily be compensated with a good sub (SVS, HSU etc).

Def Techs (IMO) are better for movies than music. Which doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

Maggies are sort of a individual taste kind of a thing and I would think would be better for music but I think they might be more for someone who's tastes run more like + 80% music - 20% movies. Also better for classical/jazz etc not neccesarily for mainstream, modern or rock... don't know it that's a concern for you...? Again just my opinion.

What it really comes down to though is that excellent piece of advice mazuly gave you: "My best advise to you is to stop reading and start listening." You're the only one that can tell you what you're going to like spending years listening too. So get out there and have fun listening and let us know how it goes

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

For more info on Rotel's replacement products, read this thread:

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• jordie
          • Dec 2003

I forgot to mention...I did listen to all of them twice.
          Going by the way they looked and sounded here are my top 3 choices:

1) Rotel rsx1055 w/ B&W CDM 9NT

2)PE vsx45tx w/def techs bp2004tl

3)NAD T 762 w/ magnepan mg12

Magnepan speakers sounded great for music but I didn't like the way they look,def techs..good speakers for both but I 've seen them dirty(God they were uuuuuuuggggly),NAd..great receiver (I know music has nothing to do w/ the beauty of the receiver..but still...I am willing to pay extra 200-300 for a good looking piece of equipment)..soooo...I'm kinda set on rotel and b&w..until I listen to something else......thaks you guy for the advice!

memyselfandio
          memyselfandio

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

The B&W CDM series has been replaced by the 700 series. It would definitly pay to listen to those again (B&W 703 i think replaces the CDM9NT).

They are a bit more expensive, but look better and sound a bit "better" too.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"