X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pramod
    • Dec 2005

Rotel & B&W Upgrade Help Needed

Dear Rote-lions,

I have Rotel RSX-1055 and now wanting to upgrade it to 7.1 setup, but my primary concern is 2Ch stereo, I guess I have choice of 1070 or (1080for Future proof purpose). and I have B&W 602S3, LCR60, and 600. if I get 1080 will I be able to run my 602's with them as they are 120RMS and 1080 is 200RMS..?? if I can what will be my max volume cut of on 1055 as its volume counts until max 90. without running the risk of blowing my 602 S3
    will RSX-1055 work as good pre for 1070 or 1080... for two channel stereo as I use it more for music..

Speaker advice.
    dumb question, Can I mix and match B&W speakers..?? for example, can I get 805S for the front and move 602S3 in the back...??? 805S will work with 1080 as they are also 120 per channel... I do not like the floor standing speakers as I have good speaker stands and REL sterta 5 sub.

one last help needed form you all experts..
    the place where I'm living is Hot country where in summer the temperature will raise, and my beloved RSX-1055 will get hot at the back... (It did not gave any problem until now, "Touch Wood") but my question is can I run 12 volt small fans above it (by mounting it on to the wooden rack, blowing the air directly into the 1055 to make it cooler or place the fans out of the shelf to make it some kind of succession to pull the hot air out of the rack.. I have good vent on top of the receiver... you help is highly appreciated..

Sorry for any mistakes, I have just started to post on the forum.

Happy New Year To You all Rote-lions in advance.
    Pramod

• bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi Pramod,

I'm not an HT expert so I can only answer some of your questions.

The 1080 amp will be fine for your 602 S3 or 805S speakers. In general an amp with more power is better for your speakers than an amp that is underpowered, i.e. you'll get more volume with less risk of blowing your speakers if you use a more powerful amp. Some members will tell you that 805S speakers deserve better than a Rotel amp, but others will disagree (especially those in Club Rotel!).

I think that it will be OK to mix and match your back speakers with your new front speakers the way that you have proposed. However the experts in this forum will tell you that you should take more care when mixing your centre speaker with your front speakers. Therefore mixing 805S fronts with an LCR60 centre may attract some criticism.

The 805S is highly regarded by most people in this forum. Check out Karma's recent posts in Club B&W as an example. He has combined 805S speakers with subs to get a top-of-the-line sound.

A cooling fan is a great idea. I have a mains powered one in my amp cabinet. It's powerful and quiet.

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by pramod
      Dear Rote-lions,

I have Rotel RSX-1055 and now wanting to upgrade it to 7.1 setup, but my primary concern is 2Ch stereo, I guess I have choice of 1070 or (1080for Future proof purpose). and I have B&W 602S3, LCR60, and 600. if I get 1080 will I be able to run my 602's with them as they are 120RMS and 1080 is 200RMS..?? if I can what will be my max volume cut of on 1055 as its volume counts until max 90. without running the risk of blowing my 602 S3
      will RSX-1055 work as good pre for 1070 or 1080... for two channel stereo as I use it more for music..

Speaker advice.
      dumb question, Can I mix and match B&W speakers..?? for example, can I get 805S for the front and move 602S3 in the back...??? 805S will work with 1080 as they are also 120 per channel... I do not like the floor standing speakers as I have good speaker stands and REL sterta 5 sub.

one last help needed form you all experts..
      the place where I'm living is Hot country where in summer the temperature will raise, and my beloved RSX-1055 will get hot at the back... (It did not gave any problem until now, "Touch Wood") but my question is can I run 12 volt small fans above it (by mounting it on to the wooden rack, blowing the air directly into the 1055 to make it cooler or place the fans out of the shelf to make it some kind of succession to pull the hot air out of the rack.. I have good vent on top of the receiver... you help is highly appreciated..

Sorry for any mistakes, I have just started to post on the forum.

Happy New Year To You all Rote-lions in advance.
      Pramod

The rb1080 is a great idea. Since you want to upgrade to the 805, this amp will power them well. You already own one of the very best musical subs I have ever heard, this combo should be great.

The center is something you should upgrade at the same time. Get one of the N series centers to match. You will notice a difference. An amp for the center channel will also be nessary. You might want to consider a rmb1095. This amp can and will power a full N series B&W speaker package if you choose to upgrade. Using the 6 seres as rears will be fine for awhile but N series rears would be Ideal. SACD and DVD AUDIO is in 5 channels, why not go for it.

I have an excellent sugestion for a fan. Elan makes very small rack size fan systems that work off heat. It turns on and off when needed and is very quiet.

Good luck,

Dan

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"