X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AMPER
    • Nov 2005

Hdcd On Rcc-1055

Ordered my RCC-1055 a couple of days ago and trying to get my hands around this HDCD thing. This will be my first HDCD player, Went to ms web site and it looks like the big thing is 20 bit instead of 16 bit recording. So this is probably a silly question but is digitally remastered the same thing as HDCD? Also I found Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon on a format called “hybrid SACD”. Is this the same thing to? And does anyone one have a good web site that deals with HDCDs. Thanks :-y
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

No, digitally remastered is not the same as HDCD. And hybrid SACD is not the same either. The SACD may have 5.1 encoded into the format. There are sites that list available HDCD titles - can't remeber them now. I can recomend one HDCD - 'Double Trouble' (SRV's band) Been Long Time. Lots of great guests playing on the CD. BTW, I have the same changer - a good one I must say.

Comment

• AMPER
      • Nov 2005

thanks miner

Comment

• wca156
        • Jun 2005

A few months ago I bought a RCD 1072. My first foray into HDCD. I searched everywhere for CD's that were recorded using HDCD. They are few and far between. I finally found a couple of Brian Culbertson's CD's that were HDCD. (I love jazz.) I found the sound compared to his other CD's to marginally better and seemed to be recorded a little louder. (I have read the same reaction in other threads.) I will say this, the 1072 made CD's sound much better and put a smile on my face. What a great piece of equipment. I hope that you have the same reaction with the RCC 1055.
        Bill

Comment

• MikeLP
          • Mar 2005

Neil Young’s new CD "Prairie Wind" and some of his older re-mastered CDs are HDCD encoded. HDCDs definitely allow for a much cleaner, fuller sound then regular CDs. The problem is, as Bill put it, they are few and far between.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

The first "Wedding Singer" soundtrack is HDCD as well.

To clarify a little more, HDCD has the regular 16bit red book CD that's compatible with every CD player out there. HDCD 'adds' 4 more bits on top of this.

Kevin D.

Comment

• cfrahme52
              • Aug 2005

One of my favorite HDCDs is Elvis Costello's "Painted from Memory."
              I wish more cds used this format.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                • Nov 2004

Another High Definition CD is Sultans of Swing, the very best of Dire Straits (1988 Mercury records)

I didnt even know I had a HDCD until I tried the cd in my Onkyo dvd player and I got HDCD appear on the RSP1068 panel.

I also didnt know my Onkyo DVS 555 dvd player could do HDCD either.

Unfortunately my older Rotel Rcd 965bx cd player doesnt do it.

I cannot say I noticed any difference between players or formats but I think this Dire Straits cd is a pretty decent anyways.

Merry Christmas all !

Pete

Comment

• gianni
                  • Nov 2002

There are actually thousands of HDCD's available. Many however are not labled as such. I am told this is to avoid paying royalties. Search the net for 'HDCD'. In addition to Microsoft's site showing titles, you should also find some other forums that have compiled lists of titles in HDCD.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"