X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claude D D
    • Jan 2003

Phillips DVD963SA review

Well I took the plunge and got a new dvd player.I wanted a progressive scan player with(newer FL2310 chip) Faroudja DCDi and a higher quality video DAC (13bit/108mhz vs 10bit/27mhz in my Sony DVPS7700).
    I am very pleased with this machine.Even just running the interlaced output was an improvement over my old 7700.Color saturation has improved and color accuracy is also very good even greens and yellows look bang on.Shadow detail is also noticably increased.It makes my X1 look like a much more expensive projo than it is.
    When I connected the 963 via the progressive output to my X1 I got a slight improvement in all areas.This player has numerous video adustments which some may find useful(gamma,saturation,Tru-life,sharpness etc.)
    Audio performance is also excellent.I ran the player for over a week (non stop with standard and SACD's and with the upsampling on and off)before any critical listening.I was unable to use the 24/192 upsampling(my Rotel RSP-1066 apeared to choak on the signal and sounded scratchy)But the 24/94 upsampling works great(you can switch between 26/94 and 16/44.1 very quickly useing the audio button on the remote)and give off a open non glaring airy sound.Most but not all CD's benefit from the upsampling(I prefered HDCD's in HDCD mode).
    Multi channel SACD's sound awesome.I only have 4 SACD's(a Sony sampler,Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon,Aerosmith-Toys in the Attic and 3 Doors Down-Away from the Sun).The multi channel SACD's just seem to draw you in to the performance.
    Now for the downside.
    1)I didn't like the fact that the 963 has no tray open button on the remote.
    2)The display can be dimmed but not turned off.
    3)Layer changes on some DVD's are slower than what I am used to.
    Overall I would rate this player 8.5 out of 10.Value wise I would rate it a 10 out of 10.Considering I paid less than $400 Cdn. for this machine and that it can out perform pretty much any player in its price range(and many more expensive players)it is a excellent unit.
    Did I mention it has upgradable firmware?Mine was shipped with ver 4.81.22/7.12 and I upgraded via a cd-rom to ver 4.81.25.
    (I love stuff that has firmware upgradabillity like my RSP-1066 and X1)
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Philips has stopped production of the 963SA. It will be replaced by a new player, but which one is not yet known (rumors say the 975SA).

In The Netherlands there is a company that does modifications to these players and that costs about half of the original purchase price and lots of people say that it even comes close to players 10 times the price after this modification.

Comment

• Mike Webb
      • Feb 2003

Claude D D,

Thanks for the review. Reading other reviews I think the 963SA is the player I've been waiting for. Good to excellent for video, cd and SACD, for the money. I'm not sure I can justify $1100 for the DENON DVD2200 right now (my other favourite). With the extra cash saved one could possible buy into DVD-A at later date.

Claude D D, is there a place in Edmonton that sells 963SA for around that $400 mark? One local store is sellling the 963SA for around $600 CAD.

On side note: is there a place in Western Canada that mods the 963SA (future consideration)?

Thanks in Advance,
      Mike

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Excellent! Looks like a great player at a fantastic price Claude. I bet it has made a big difference in your pj.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Claude D D
          • Jan 2003

Hey Mike go see Bruce or Jordan at Visions at 104 ave & 170 st.(444-7007)tell them I sent you and they'll hook you up at a good price.Cost on it is $390(I used to work there that's how I know) so they would sell it to you at cost + 10% so about $429+gst would be a very good price.
          Mike,if you do get one let me know.I have the latest firmware on CD-ROM and can give you a hand with the upgrade.

Comment

• Claude D D
            • Jan 2003

Time for a quick update on the DVD963SA.
            After over a month of torture tests usage,I am even more pleased with this machine.
            It plays SVCD's,VCD's and MP3's with no problem.The video quality is excellent.The gamma adjustment has improved contrast level of my X1 even more.There is also a mode in the set-up menu that detects 4:3 flags on the DVD special features and plays them back in the correct aspect ratio on my screen(4:3 playback with black bars on the sides on my 16:9 screen).So I don't have to toggle my aspect ratio on my projo.
            I highly recommend this machine.

Comment

• Mike Webb
              • Feb 2003

Claude D D, Thanks for the great lead!!

I plan to stop in at Visions this week and give the 963SA a spin, I'm sure I'm going to love it. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Again,
              Mike

Comment

• Mike Webb
                • Feb 2003

Claude D D,

Well, I picked up a 963SA today. Bruce is letting me demo a demo unit for two weeks, with no obligation. If all goes well a new one is on order. Talk about great service.

I have no comments on the 963SA as of yet. My current HT Room has turned into a storage room while I mud and sand the new HT room . So for now I'm using the 963SA a two channel CD player on the main floor.

Claude D D, thanks so much!! Drop me a line sometime parkranger@canada.com.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"