X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vBullet
    • Dec 2005

RCD-02 or RDV-1050?

I've just ordered a Cd player RCD-02 to replace my old Yamaha 580.
    But now I have the feeling that maybe it would be better to buy the Dvd player RDV-1050 instead the RCD-02 and also replace my cheap Dvd Sony DVP NS305.
    I often listen to music (I have, more or less, 6000 cds) but also have a big collection of music video & concerts Dvd.
    Anybody knows if the sound quality of the RCD-02 Cd player is much better than the RDV-1050 Dvd player?
    Sound quality is important for me but if the difference is minimal I think the Dvd player will have a better value for me.

My gear:
    Loudspeakers: B&W 604 S3
    Amplifier: Thule Audio A100 (100x2 w)
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

I can speak for the RDV-1060 and the RCD-1072. In analog output, yes, there is a difference. The most notable I found was while listening to Norah Jones "Sunrise". With the RDV-1060, the "s" sounds have a slight crackle to them, almost identical in sound to what you'd expect if Norah had been too close to the mic when the song was recorded. On the RCD-1072, the sound is beautiful and flawless (IMO). Bass seems to be richer, and there are several times (from a side-by-side comparrison) instruments sound closer to live than on the CD, whereas the DVD gives more of a digital sound.

I'm no expert, but my best guess is that it has to do with the DACs being different and the fact that the CD uses a dedicated clock at the correct speed, rather than an adjusted clock used for DVDs.

Comment

• vBullet
      • Dec 2005

That "digital sound" you are talking about is what I can't stand.
      Is that difference so clear? If so, I will go for the Cd. But I wanted to imagine that Rotel's Dvds had a natural and rich sound.
      With my gear does make sense to pay more for the difference? It's not the B&W 800 series!!!
      We have to choose according to our budgets and our equipments. At the end, all of us want to enjoy the music. (With metallic sound is impossible to do it.)
      If with the RDV-1050 I will get a good and full sound it would be enough for me. I'm sure that the RCD-1072 has better sound than the RCD-02 because I could check it at the store but I decided that for the price the 02 was ok.
      Now I would like to know if differences between RVD-1050 and RCD-02 are so subtle like between RCD-1072 and RCD-02.
      I can't make an audition because the RDV-1050 is not in the store.
      So I need your help, thank you.
      Thank you Grit for you answer.
      Last edited by vBullet; 22 December 2005, 21:44 Thursday.

Comment

• Boombox
        • Oct 2005

The RCD1072 and RCD02 use the same DAC which, as I understand, is where the sound performance comes from.

I went the route of opting for the DVD player (RDV1040) to do CD duty as well. Its almost a year later and I'm in business to pick up the RCD1072 in the next few months. This is because I'm powering a poor CD source. I'm noticing it now, but when I bought the player, the sound qaulity outperformed the yamaha DVD player I had.

Be sure, that in sound quality, the RCD02 will outperform the RDV1050.

Buy the 1050 and then you'll either add the RCD02 or RCD1072 to your equipment later without having to let go of the RDV1050 :T .
        Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• vBullet
          • Dec 2005

Good idea Boombox, thanks a lot.

Comment

• fordster
            • Feb 2005

I own both an RDV-1060 and RCD-02. I'd rate the RDV-1060 as better than the RCD-02 by a noticeable. I've never heard an RDV-1050 though so can't comment on that. I hope that I've not added confusion!
            Dave

Comment

• vBullet
              • Dec 2005

Hi, I'm back again after a short holiday trip.
              At the end I bought the RVD-1060. Reasons: Only 180 euros more than the 1050; back panel ; sound.
              Today I could compare the RDV-1060 with the RCD-02. The sound was good in both but different. The Cd has a warmer sound but instruments tended to be more in the center. The Dvd was a bit artificial but good sound indeed.
              I have to wait 2 days more to have the DVD at home. I will tell you.
              So thank you everybody for your help.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"