X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

best rotel amp for 705s

hi all,

i've spent all the money i can this year on hubby, but here is my hypothetical question.

we have a yamaha 2600 av receiver (130w * 7 @ 8ohms claimed) and look likely to be getting some b&w 705s with htm7 center for fronts. if at some stage we choose to to use the preout on the reveiver to power up the 705's, whats the most appropriate 2channel rotel amp to use on them and will we be able to bi-amp them the way you can on the 2600?

cheers,

julie
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

I'd not bi-amp anything unless you had matching amps. That being said, the RMB-1070 100 wpc should run them fine. i'm running a 1075 (100x5) with 703's, htm7, and 705's, and have no complaints.

Comment

• alpina
      • Nov 2005

hi grit,

i guess you can get 2 1070s for the price of one 1080 but unsure which would be the better way to go. either option should be more than enough for my 705s?

please assist

regards,

julie
      My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

I don't think you'll get as much from two 1070's, but I've honestly not compared them. From what I've read, the gains from bi-amping are not as significant as providing an efficient amplifier. Really, I think the 1075 would meet your needs, and I think you'd see a defecit in the overall system if you didn't use the same type of amplifier on all of your speakers.

BTW, you've got a great speaker setup for HT. If you add some B&W 705's or DS7's for rears, you'll be set.

Comment

• nyny
          • Jul 2004

Julie,

I used to have a 705/HTM7 HT setup mated to a Rotel RMB-1075 without complaints. I think the RB-1070 should be more than enough for the 705s since they are not that hard to drive (small two-way without FST or dedicated bass woofer; decent sensitivity).

Cheers,
          Tony
          Last edited by nyny; 14 December 2005, 10:26 Wednesday.
          Tony

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

I have a similar setup that I'm selling: Rotel 1075 driving 704, HTM7 and DM600 and never had a complaint with lack of power.

Comment

• alpina
              • Nov 2005

everyone seems to be using the 1075 on the 705/htm7 setup perhaps 1070 or 1080 is not the way to go after all - at least this way i wont have to connect the htm7 off the yamaha and have to worry about the balance on the front end.

so i should biamp the 705s and run the center normally to fill the 5 channels on the 1075? can someone please explain to me how to wire it up like this from the 2600 - specifically, will i need rca splitters to get the signals into the front channels?

thanks,

julie

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

I would just run everything off the 1075 and not use any of the Yamaha amps. Like everyone has said, you will get more performance out of one better amp then two. If you think the mains need more power then everything else, just get a 1070 or 1080. If you want everything to have more power, get a 1075.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bzrk
                  • Oct 2005

or maybe a 1077?

i have one to drive my 705's as well

maybe a little bit too expensive tho...
                  Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                    • May 2004

I think you would be fine using the 1075 for a setup with 705s. Unless you are going with 704s or 703s, I don't think you will ever need the 1070 or 1080, unless you use your system more of 2 channel/your room is huge.
                    Good see if your dealer would let you bring the 1075 home for a in-home demo. I know most Rotel/B&W dealers would let you do this.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"