X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

Been thinking about a RB-1080

Hey folks, I'd like your thoughts. Have a 1066 and 1075 with "B'Dub" CDM 7NTs and everything is dandy. But the darn bug is hard to control. Is the benefits worth the money?
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

I have a 7 channel set-up with a RB 1080 for the Stereo L and R and an RMB 1075 for the rest. With good cables to the 1080 and to the speakers, my view is absolutely the 1080 is worth the money for stereo - better clarity, soundstage, control etc. especially with harder to drive speakers.

Besides the B&W / Rotel marriage is a very nice one....

Regards

Geoff

Comment

• luszer
      • Feb 2003

will1066

I second the jump to the 1080, I have a 991 (older ver of 1080) along with 1075 for C, SR, SL. The 991 added more clarity and less strain. The bass is much deeper and faster. Things really open up and the amp can be driven like crazy.
      Recently I pulled the 991 out to use with my recent CDM 1nt purchase, so my secondary listening room has really evolved into a dedicated 2 channel listening room.
      I do miss the 991 in my HT/Music room, but using the 991 with the 1nt is a sweet combo. However the 1075 with all 5 channels driven is quit impressive in its own right

It's XMAS, so enjoy

good listening

Ron

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

Thanks, Geoff and Ron.

Wow, only two responses. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

• steveB
          • Mar 2003

Picked up mine last week , added it to my RSX 1065 . the sound is more open and crisper , it brings out the instruments better than the 1065 did .....I love it . Also my 1080 has 2 sets of speaker posts
          per channel like the 1090.....so it make biwiring easier.

SteveB

Comment

• Krzysztof W
            • Sep 2002

I had RSP 1066 and RMB 1075 for a while, then I added two speakers (a little bit more complicated than that) and RMB 1080. RMB 1080 does two main speakers and the difference is huge, especially when you love 2-channel music or multichannel music as well. I encourage you to go for it

Krzysztof

Comment

• Claude D D
              • Jan 2003

I've got the RSP-1066,RB-1080,RMB-1075 combo and love it.The 1080 sounds great and has plenty of power.

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

I have also been contemplating the very same scenario. I am currently running a 7.1 configuration with the RMB-1095, and RB-1050 for the center backs. Now thanks to you guys, I am utilizing my upgrade policy once again to drive the front speakers with the RMB-1080 (Mirage OM7's). I placed the order yesterday with minimal or no discount based on the upgrade policy, (we'll see about that once it arrives). Boy does this ever end. If my better half finds out I'll blame it on you guys :LOL: .

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good day,

Azeke

Comment

• will1066
                  • Aug 2003

Sorry, Azeke. I may not be far behind you. :LOL:

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

That's okay Will, I probably would have done it eventually anyway.

I weighed the returns on playing stereo on the 1095 vs have a separate amp for the fronts, is it worth the approximately the $600.00 for the upgrade will it provide a great increase in sonic improvement. It seems that it would and provide the value and return for the dollar. If not , I have 30 days to test, if not satisfied, I can always return this new quasi-beast, but I doubt that will happen.

Any positive or negative feedback is welcome, should I cancel my order?

Will, now it's your turn since you started the original thread, and got me started.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• will1066
                      • Aug 2003

I just placed my order with my dealer, Azeke. It would've been useless to keep resisting. Like you, I would've done it eventually anyway. ops: I appreciated everyone's experiences but the only real way to tell if it's worth it is in my own system. It will be shipped out tomorrow and I will receive it on Tuesday. I hope I made the right decision. :?:

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

I feel better already . Acoustically speaking, providing a separate amp for the fronts gives me better control in stereo, although it sounds good with the 1095. Again, I do have 30 days to think about it (including break in time), during this time I need to think about the diminished return value.

I guess time and testing will reveal the truth.

Azeke

Comment

• will1066
                          • Aug 2003

Hey Azeke, check out these pics:

:^x :drool:

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

Those are beautiful pics Will, I sticking with the silver though.

Regards,

Arman

Comment

• will1066
                              • Aug 2003

The hum problem I'm having and trying to eliminate notwithstanding, I just want to confirm what you 1080 owners have mentioned. With the 1080 instead of the 1075 driving my speakers, clarity across the whole spectrum improved. This brought out a greater level of detail. Bass, while not necessarily deeper it seems, is indeed punchier, tighter and more tuneful. The character of the sound indeed has opened up. The 1080 reveals that the 1075 has a somewhat rolled off top end. The indirect benefit of the 1080 is that my 1075 now runs only three channels. While the 1075 was in no way strained driving five speakers, it really benefits from having to run only three. There is less pressure and my center speaker and bookshelf rear speakers have opened up. In movies, the center speaker's soundstage has broadened and dialog is much more powerful and intelligble. The better bass performance out of my mains has really helped smooth out the bass transition to the subwoofer. This has made my sub harder to localize/pinpoint. Bass impact has definitely improved.

I will admit that for $1000, there is a degree of diminishing returns with this upgrade. The 1080 improvements are not as night and day as - say - moving from a Sony receiver to Rotel (obviously). Still, I think the longer I own it, the more I think it will be worth it.

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

Will,

Thanks, I've been waiting for your review, I would think the amp should improve over time (after the initial break in period).

Do you still think it was worth the upgrade? I called my dealer yesterday to ensure that I am receiving the latest version of the RB-1080 with the dual post/speaker. He said "Are you sure that's not the overseas model?" I laughed to myself and then told him "Yes I am sure."
                                Once I receive it , if it is not the newer version, I will not take it. Hope the upgrade is worth it, you didn't sound very enthusiatic. Any thoughts?

Still hoping it works out,

Azeke

Comment

• will1066
                                  • Aug 2003

Hi Azeke,

I have mixed feelings about the upgrade. On the one hand, I definitely hear improvements in both music and movies. The five-channel amp benefits too since I run only 5.1 - running only three channels has helped it open up. On the other hand, I haven't paid list for my gear for a time now so I'm used to getting a bargain. $1000 is no small chunk of change. I was unsuccessful looking at audiogon for a used one and on the exact day I received my new one, a used 1080 surfaced. Some luck. :x Right now, I don't think it's worth $1000, but with amplification, it's the nature of the beast. What I mean is if you put $1000 into upgrading to a new processor, you'd probably get a couple of new surround modes, processing tricks, cutting-edge DACs, etc. - more bang for the buck. Amps only amp and do nothing else.

But I did the upgrade thinking long-term. I've had my current mains for about seven months and I'm not ready to part with them yet. Maybe a half-year from now, I will get better mains - say B&W N803 or Dynaudios or whatever. With its added power, the 1080 will be worth it then. Also, my TV is on almost all the time, usually on a cable news channel, while I'm home. I don't need DPLII for that, rather just stereo and I don't have to run a five-channel amp, with its higher power consumption than a stereo amp. So I'm looking for some savings in my electric, too.

As for break-in, I'm kind of on the fence about gear that don't have moving mechanical parts. But maybe my ears will break in to the amp. :LOL:

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

Thanks for the reply Will. You have based your evaluation on your own gear and that is appreciated, so in essence, I guess I have to formulate my own conclusions. I was just trying to get justification for my own upgrade to determine it's worth.

Happy Holidays and here's to upgraditis :^x ,

Azeke

Comment

• will1066
                                      • Aug 2003

Azeke, I have no doubt in my mind that you will benefit from the RB-1080. Your surrounds will benefit greatly from moving from the 1050 to the 1095, and your fronts will benefit too. The difference between me and you is that you're running 7.1, so seven channels for you is a necessity. I think it's more worth it in your case.

Say... will you get yours before Thursday?

Comment

• mariachi
                                        • Aug 2003

Will1066,

I have the rb 1070 for the fronts and ther 1075 driving the center channel, surround, and one surround back. When I first got it, I had a hard time justifying the $700 for the 1070. But I've grown to love it for my front channels and I can definitely tell a difference from ther 1075. However, I don't know if I could spend $1000 for a two channel amp since it costs the same as the 1075. I hope you're happy w/your purchase.

-Vic

Comment

• will1066
                                          • Aug 2003

Vic,

While I can't say I hear a $1000 improvement, I don't regret the purchase. I think I will follow down your path of experience. Right now, it's kinda hard to justify. But I know I will grow to love it as time goes on.

Some pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/100053251toPHHA

Comment

• Azeke
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2003

Will,

Just spoke with my retailer and he said it's not yet in the warehouse, so I will probably get it when I return from Christmas vacation. I told him to ensure that it is the current model. This actually works out for me because I told my wife I will not make any other equipment purchases this year :LOL: .

Thanks for the confirmation, hopefully you are correct. I'm will drive my fronts (Mirage OM7s) with the new amp and push everything else with the RMB 1095, even though my center backs are only 100W max (JBL ProIII), I had them laying around, and don't want to upgrade again.

Can't wait until next year,

Azeke

Comment

• Azeke
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2003

Will,

I called my dealer to check on my 1080 status, and it actually arrived.
                                              I traded in my RB-1050 (using the upgrade policy), and took home the 1080.

Initially, out of the box the RB-1080 sounds very nice, better controls of mids and lows, in stereo (although I'm still tweaking this quasi-beast, and I leave for vacation tomorrow, bummer). HT has more headroom, I believe due to the release of the front channels from the RMB-1095.

I will provide further updates later.

So far so good,

Azeke

Comment

• will1066
                                                • Aug 2003

Cool, Azeke. Have fun on vacation!

Comment

• Azeke
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2003

Thanks Will, I actually wish I could stay home and tweak, but alas :LOL: .

BTW, my thanks to the forum members here, (I have the lastest version of the RB-1080). Initial impressions are good.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• art vandeleigh
                                                    • Oct 2003

i have been looking into this upgrade as well. i have a 1055 and i am also using a pair of the b&w cdm 7nt's. the sound is great and i am very happy but i do alot of 2-ch listening and would like to see if i can improve the sound with the 1080. i would love to hear more reviews!!! please keep them comming.

Comment

• Dan Heath
                                                      • Feb 2003

I have the B&W CDM 9NTs. I'm using the 1055 for my pre-amp and the 1080 for power. I think it sounds great (IMHO)! I don't know all the audio lingo to review the 1080. But I love 2 channel music and this setup is top notch for me!

Comment

• bobcowin
                                                        • Jan 2003

I also have the 1066/1075 combo and was thinking if adding a 1080. I am using Maggy 1.6s, and in my apartment I can't put the volume particularly high (55-65 usually). At low to medium volumes will the difference between the 1075 and the 1080 be significant for stereo music?

Bob
                                                        Bob

Comment

• will1066
                                                          • Aug 2003

Something has happened. It has been a month since I installed the RB-1080. I don't really believe in "break-in" of non-mechanical gear. Maybe it's my ears, I don't know. But a couple of days ago, the amp just kinda blossomed. What I'm hearing now is a considerable notch above the RMB-1075. The soundstage has plentiful 3-D depth. Lots of air all around. Great dynamics and detail. Everything is drum-tight, a testament to the amp's control. Vocals are articulate - I don't find myself guessing lyrics as much. Treble extension is addictive. If the amp was velvety smooth before, it is silky smooth now.

Every time I play something now, I am no longer thinking if this was worth the money.

Source is an Arcam CD92. Front-end wire is Kimber PBJ (actually better than w/KCAG in there). Back-end wire is Kimber KCAG. Speaker is Nordost Flatline II.

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"