X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonesy
    • Feb 2003

What would you do?

(I should be able to guess as this is the Rotel club, but I'll ask anyway)

I haven't been here in a while but you guys are a great source of information and I need your opinions. Here's my situation. Last summer I ended up going with the Outlaw 950, mainly due to economics. They are now shipping me a FOURTH replacement unit. I will avoid the long history of what has gone wrong but I will say this, The 950 sounds great WHEN operating and their customer service is outstanding.

However, I am getting tired of performing surgery on my system and would like a unit that I will not have to replace all the time. I'm sure my experience with the 950 is unique (almost everyone has a story of a nightmare piece of gear) and theoretically the same thing could happen with a Rotel.

I am considering selling the new unit when it arrrives and going with a 1066. I've read many of the comparisons and am confident the 1066 is at least a small step up in sound quality. It seems to have enough connections for my system and any upgrades I am likely to do in the near future. What I do like about the 950 is the bass management. I remember that there were issues with the earlier 1066's bass management. Has this been cleared?

I currently have my mains (Infinity IL30) crossed over at 80hz, center (IL25) at 100, and surrounds (B&W LM1) at 100. Can I approximate these settings with the 1066? I am not disinclined to getting an ICBM either. Also, with the upgrade ability of the 1066, could Rotel include DPLIIx at a later date?

I'm sure you've answered these questions before, but I'm just so damned frustrated and would like to find a piece of gear that I can just listen to and not have to screw around with all the time. Thanks for your help.
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

Hmm, the Rotel won't let you crossover speakers individually. The bass management issues have been addressed by the firmware updates. You'll still need to address the bass summing situation on the 5.1 input. It is not a flaw, but rather an intentional design by Rotel. I don't think Rotel will add DPLIIx to the 1066.

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Nice to see a fellow Wisconsinite on the forum...

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Rotel has Rotel XS processing which will do the same thing PLIIx does, so that's a moot issue too. I would suggest getting a unit and see how you like it set to 80hz (for all channels).. If you really think it makes a huge difference with the rears and center at 100hz, add a ICBM to the mix later on..

There's several used 1066's in the Pawn shop right now too.

Kevin D.

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

get the 1055 and save the money. Just dont use the onboard amp if you dont want to. I dont believe its enough of a difference to notice to be honest.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• jig
            • Dec 2003

what is an ICBM?

Comment

• spiffnme
              • Apr 2003

InterContinental Ballistic Missle - a nuke.

or

an external bass managment device.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
              All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Jonesy
                • Feb 2003

I've heard that mentioned by others. Is the 1055 the same as the 1066, with the exception of the onboard amps? I've thought about it but I am still not sure about having the amplification in the same chasis, whether they are being used or not.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

The 1066 and 1055 have all but identical internals on the processing side. The differences obiously would be the addition of amps and a tuner and the shared power supply etc. What's best for you depends on a lot of things. Could you use the additional amps? They can be used for 7.1, zone 2 or bi-amping. If you're considering any of those the 1055 might be better for you. If you listen to lot's of Radio, again the 1055 might be for you. To be honest with you I've heard both and while there is a VERY slight difference in sonics it's barely perceptible and even then not very often. Having said that, I still bought the 1066 for a few reasons. One, I practically never listen to the radio at home and I have a secondary system that I can if I ever want to. Two, my speakers have but one set of binding posts so no bi-amping, I haven't the space or need for 7.1 and nowhere for a zone 2, so no need for the extra amps. Three, I plan to keep my 1066 for many years as I haven't the funds to upgrade. So while only slightly better I decided for those many years I wanted to enjoy the best sonics I could afford. Now if money is a factor (as it is for most of us) you may be better off putting the couple hundred dollars you save by getting the 1055 towards those nice speakers where you'll definately hear a difference. It's a lot to think about...

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                  Jason

Comment

• Jonesy
                    • Feb 2003

Well I have all the amps I need: 991 for mains, 985 mkII for surrounds (3) & zone 2, and a 971 bridged mono for center. I even have room for 7.1 if I put all surrounds & center on the 985 and run zone 2 off the 971.

I have yet to use the tuner on the Outlaw and used the one on my previous reciever maybe twice in the year and a half I had it.

Although I have much less than a golden ear I did perceive a slight improvement in both stereo and surround when I moved from the receiver to the 950. The noise floor was also a hell of a lot lower than the receiver. That might just make the difference for me in deciding between the 1055 and 1066.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Sounds like you came to the same conclusion as me. Enjoy your 1066

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"