X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

RB-1070 vs Odyssey Stratos?

I heard so many good things about the Odyssey Stratos amp that I've gone and bought one. I'll be getting the 2ch stereo Stratos with the cap upgrade.

I currently have the Rotel RB-1070. Has anyone heard the two before? What should I expect?

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

So that's why I saw your Audiogon ad.

You bought an amp w/o demo'ing it?

Comment

• spiffnme
      • Apr 2003

Odyssey, like Axiom is an online only seller. So a demo before purchase was not possible.

I doubt I'll be dissapointed, but if I am, I can always sell it. They have tremendous resale value.

I've never been all that impressed with 7.1, so if in the end I sell both the RB-1070 AND the Odyssey, I'll just stick with my RMB-1075 and be very happy.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

If I may ask again, how did you employ your 1070? What were your impressions, i.e., was it an improvement over the 1075?

Comment

• spiffnme
          • Apr 2003

I use the 1070 to power my two M60ti mains in a 7.1 system.

Yes, there was an improvement over the 1075. Huge? No, but it did seem to play a bit louder. I never did any intense listening comparisons between the two. I've been pretty happy with both.

So you may ask, why the heck am I buying the Stratos? That's a good question, and any rational person would ask the same thing. But if you know anything about "upgraditis", one of it's most common symptoms is a complete and utter lack of rational thought.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• will1066
            • Aug 2003

I completely understand your utter lack of rational thought. Upgraditis has me contemplating an RB-1080 as a holiday gift for myself, hence, my question about the 1070.

Comment

• Ron Reda
              • Jan 2003

spiffnme,

You're a person after my own heart...I have all Axioms in a 7.1 configuration along with an Odyssey Stratos (120K cap upgrade) powering my fronts (M50s). While I can't comment on the difference you will hear, I can say that I doubt you will regret your purchase of the Stratos. I'm ga-ga over mine and I've had it for around 2 years now. Heck, I'm somewhat envious as I heard Klaus has done some things to the Stratos that's pushed it's performance to higher levels than what mine attains. Hopefully, your wait time is shorter than mine was (10 weeks)! Of course, I bought mine "way back" when Odyssey was first getting it's name out on the Web. I also hope you have some patience as the Stratos doesn't show it's true colors until fully broken-in. However, once it does break-in, prepare to be up late at night listening to your favorite CDs. In fact, the arrival of the Stratos, changed me from watching DVDs all the time and only occasionally listening to CDs to the exact opposite! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions that I can help with.

Regards,

Ron

Comment

• spiffnme
                • Apr 2003

I'm sure I'll like it. Klaus said I should have it at the beginning of the new year. So hopefully that means only about 3-4 weeks.

My system really needs a really good cd/dvd player much more than a new amp, but I couldn't pass up the chance I had with the Stratos.

As much as I'd love to buy a Rotel player, I just don't want to have two players. (one for DVD and DVD-A and another for CD and SACD) AND their dvd players also don't have a DVI output.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Denon 2900S or maybe even the 5900 if I could get a hell of a deal on one.

If anyone at Rotel is listening...make a Universal player that has a DVI output and I'll be the first in line to purchase one.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"