• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

matching amps?

I've currently got a 1066/1075 combo and would like to jump up to 7.1

I've got a couple options.

1) buy a nice/nicer 2 channel amp to power my mains and use the 1075 to power my center, surrounds, and rears

2) buy a equal or cheaper 2ch amp to power the rears, and keep my mains, center and surrounds on the 1075

In addition to these options, I am also considering purchasing an Odyssey Stratos 2 ch amp to run my mains (option #1). From all I've read, the Odyssey Stratos is one of the very best 2ch amps you can buy - a real bang-for-your-buck amp as they say. How important is it to "match" my amps...ie keep it all Rotel. Anyone here familiar with the Odyssey?

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

A lot of people would recommend option 2, in that it would keep things consistent up front.

I'd personally be more attracted to your first option. I've heard of people matching amps as different as Bryston and Parasound up front and loving the results. Rotel amps have the reputation of being neutral to slightly warm sounding. A lot of amps should be compatible. As one who usies my system for two channel quite frequently, the opportunity to grab an amp specific to that end would be very attractive. And, there's no reason it couldn't be a Rotel amp.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• spiffnme
      • Apr 2003

My thoughts on "upgrading" the amp for my mains is just for the that. I really enjoy 2ch music listening.

I'm not opposed to getting another Rotel for that purpose, in fact I like the idea. It's just that I've heard some pretty amazing things about the Odyssey Stratos, and I may have a line on a good deal used.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Never heard the Odyssey Stratos, but have read about it - enviously. Now, you definitely have me thinking you should choose that option. A lot of people think more highly of the Stratos than Brystons, which is saying a lot. They're known for being one of the most transparent amps out there.

I do know if I was making the decision, it would be absolutely, totally, without any hesitation, hands down, gloriously in favor of that option. In fact, I would always be looking backward and saying, "Why? Why?" if I didn't. I hope you have a chance to do an in home audition, but, even if you don't, I'd still be very, very drawn toward owning an amp like that.

This one's for you:

Obviously, I'm a little bit jealous, but very happy for you.

Let me see: The choices are something like an HK or Audio Source for your rears or a Stratos for your fronts.

After thinking it over, dang, I'm practically wetting my pants in empathetic excitement.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• JohnSC
          • Jun 2002

I have a dedicated 2 ch amp for my fronts (Rotel RB991). I prefer to get the most out of my 2 ch listening as I do quite a lot of it.

Cheers

Comment

• twitchie
            • Apr 2003

About the Odyssey,

I'm jealous too. Go for the Odyssey :twisted:

Comment

• danam
              • Jul 2003

Well have you considered the HK Signature 1.5 (2 channels) or even 1.3 (3 channels) ?
              They sound pretty good and can be found at a reasonnable price.
              Here in France we had the opportunity to get some as remarketed products by HK.
              Plus I was kinda happy to see the "made in USA" in the boxes (i have a 1.5 and a 1.3) ! not used to such things ! i'm more used of reading "made in china" (china) or "korea" or in a better way "japan" ...

but I dont know how is the HK Signature loved in US ...

Comment

• spiffnme
                • Apr 2003

The deal on the Odyssey fell through. Bummer.

Though in a way I'm not all that upset - even as good of a deal as it was, it was still a bit more than I really wanted to spend.

I think this may have been asked before, but I'm going to ask again.

Currently I have a 1066/1075 combo. I want to make the jump to 7.1. Will adding a 1070 to power my mains gain me much in 2ch stereo? If there won't be much differnce, then perhaps the better and more economical solution would be to get a 1050 to power those extra two rear channels, and keep my current 5 channels on the 1075 amp.

My main channel speakers are Axiom Audio M60ti's. The rears will be a pair of Axiom QS4's.

Thanks for all the help guys.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

Sorry to hear the deal fell through. Such is life, I guess.

Personally, I'd go with adding the 1050 for the rears.

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Ah just get the 1090 and be done with it :drool:

Comment

• spiffnme
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                      Ah just get the 1090 and be done with it :drool:
                      OK...if you would just send a check or money order made out to: Craig Rogers

I'll deposit the check, and run to my local dealer and get one.

Until then, I'll have to keep looking for a deal on the 1050.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Honestly I wish I could buy you one...that would be so much fun! I should be getting my first Rotel amp this week (1075) so I'll finally be able to off load one of my HK PA5800 5 channel amps.

Comment

• spiffnme
                          • Apr 2003

It's done.

I just bought a slightly used 1070 in silver. Until I can afford to pick up a pair of Axiom QS8 surrounds, I'll be throwing my old Snell Accoustic K/II's in the rear.

Thanks for the help and suggestions here. This board is great!

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                            • Oct 2002

I just add a Bryston 4BSST (2X350W) to my RMB-1095 to power the front speakers. The resolution of details is better and my 2ch experience is alot better IMOH.

If you listen mostly to HT don't bother. But if you like stereo listening, then go with a 2ch amp for the fronts.
                            To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Scarp
                              • Mar 2003

Obviously thats an improvement to a 5 channel amp, but also its more expensive. Compared to a RB1090 its 1200 euro more expensive (if you buy it new).

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"