X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

5 & 7 Channel Stereo RSP -1066 Sub Setup

I have been enjoying listening to music over 5 channel stereo. I know its a sin to audiophiles, but hey I like being surrounded by the music and getting equal power in all corners.

The problem I have is in 5/7 Chnl Stereo the LFE channel is really weak. I have small speaker setup all round and the sub crossover set to full pass. Even with the sub gain set to max the sound is hollow in the bass region. It feels as the really low passes are filtered out. In ProLogic Music the sub and overall bass sounds wonderfull - punchy & tight - although I don't get full 5 channel output but "surround" output in the rear speakers.

So my question is how can I get 5 channel stereo with ProLogic Music Sub treatment. (i.e. 5.1 stereo). In PLII Music I have set panorama to ON and have moved the music field as wide and far back (central) as it will go - but this is still not equvalent to 5 channel stereo. Is there a setting I am missing? Is the small speaker issue the constraint in terms of the bass allocation?

The MUSIC 1-5 setting is not better and actually I cannot distinguish any difference between 1 to 5! What are the differences?

Rgds
    Steve
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Steve!

I listen to 5 channel stereo too ops: !!!

The pro`s are gonna move in on this one but question.....Are your speakers set to small or large?

Bam!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Stevebez
      • Oct 2003

Thx Bam at least I am not alone...!!! :roll:

Speaker set-up is set to SMALL - thats what makes it more confusing as I would expect the processor to bump all the bass through to the sub. It seems that 5/7 channel stereo does not work ideally with small speakers. System seems to assume full pass to all 5 channels at the expense of the LFE.

Co-incidentaly I have Boston Micros all round.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Steve!

I don' t want to say something wrong here but......

I am about to buy the 1056...why because when on Stereo or 5 channel stereo...I have direct pass...Hence no subwoofer..hence better 2 channel stereo sound...virtually the same for 5 channel...
        So...

Can your speakers put out bass below 100hz...

I don' t know your speakers..

This is what I think...as I am waiting for the pro's to come in save me from drowning here!!!!

Hope this helps though...

Bam!

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I don't listen in either of the 5/7-channel stereo modes so I have no real experience with them but I'll see if I can help you with this info from the manual.

http://www.rotel.com/support/pdfs/ma...sp1066_eng.pdf (Page 27)
          The SUBWOOFER SETUP menu allows selection of the subwoofer crossover frequency and independent adjustment of subwoofer level for
          each surround mode. These settings are memorized and engaged automatically each time a music or theater surround mode is selected.
          When going to the SUBWOOFER SETUP menu from the MAIN menu, the current surround mode is automatically highlighted. Use the +/–
          buttons to adjust the subwoofer level (–10dB to +10dB) for the current surround mode. NOTE: Only the current surround mode can be adjusted on this menu. You will need to change surround modes using the front-panel or remote buttons to adjust a different mode.
          So You should be able to boost (or lower) the sub output to your preference on the individual surround modes

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Jason!

But that is his problem..the sub is et to max and he still doesn`t get the LFE frequency at the level he wants ops:

I didn`t mean to interrupt...just trying to help!

Bam!

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

There are two areas to set subwoofer properties, the "Speakers Setup" and "Sub Setup" menus. In the speaker setup area you can set it to yes no or max...

Speaker Setup
              SUBWOOFER (yes/no/max): Use the YES setting if your system has a subwoofer. If your system does not have a subwoofer, select NO. Select the MAX setting to redirect all low frequency information from all speakers (including LARGE speakers) to the subwoofer. This will give you maximum bass performance with normal bass information being played by both the subwoofer and any LARGE speakers in the system.
              In the sub setup are you can set the level +/-10dB...

Sub Setup
              The SUBWOOFER SETUP menu allows selection of the subwoofer crossover frequency and independent adjustment of subwoofer level for each surround mode. These settings are memorized and engaged automatically each time a music or theater surround mode is selected. When going to the SUBWOOFER SETUP menu from the MAIN menu, the current surround mode is automatically highlighted. Use the +/–buttons to adjust the subwoofer level (–10dB to +10dB) for the current surround mode. NOTE: Only the current surround mode can be adjusted on this menu. You will need to change surround modes using the front-panel or remote buttons to adjust a different mode.
              Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• Stevebez
                • Oct 2003

Thx guys checked it out again... seems speaker limitation is the issue. The Boston Micros do NOT perform below 100Hz so there in lies the answer.

I noticed the setting for SPEAKERS only lets you set sub to MAX if there is at least one large speaker in the system. Setting all to small disables the MAX setting as it seems this would be automatic.

Thx for the help!

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

So in your setup (and in fact all setups) I'd recommend you stick with sub=yes. Then boost the sub level (+5 maybe?) up to your liking for the 5/7-channel stereo modes. (Adjust other surround modes appropriately). Also confirm your crossover is set at an appropriate level (likely 100hZ or higher for your setup).

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Trevor_J
                    • Oct 2002

I've noticed the lack of bass as well. I can confirm that subs are not getting an adequate signal as my bass shakers hardly move even at loud volumes. Changing from 5/7ch stereo to plain stereo or DPL II produces a noticable kick in the butt compared to the 5/7ch offerings. I am also running a 1066.

Comment

• Trevor_J
                      • Oct 2002

I've noticed the lack of bass as well. I can confirm that subs are not getting an adequate signal as my bass shakers hardly move even at loud volumes. Changing from 5/7ch stereo to plain stereo or DPL II produces a noticable kick in the butt compared to the 5/7ch offerings. I am also running a 1066.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"