X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b1_
    • Dec 2005

Connecting speakers + Sub + amp >> computer

I bought some VAF speakers 6 months ago but haven't yet connected them up! My excuse is that I had to sought out buying a new computer first which I have now done (a super silent machine that I'm ecstatic with).

So now it's onto buying my dream stereo system. So far I have the speakers and that's it. I'm not replacing anything I'm buying all this stereo equipment from scratch.

What I want to do is buy it in stages. To start I think I can skip the reciever and just buy a Sub + Amp to go with the speakers, and these components can plug into my computer. I will be using just on-board sound but may buy a music soundcard if the sound from the on-board sound is not good enough.

(The sub is for trance music).

The equpment I want is
    AMP: Rotel RB-1070 bi-amp 130W per channel
    SUB: Richter Thor (or Son of Thor; not sure if this is different) or Velodyne of similar price
    CABLES: ?

SPEAKERS I have already: VAF DC-7

Can anyone see anything wrong with my plan? My motherboard has only headphone jacks - will I be able to connect the speakers up? Where will the sub-woofer plug into, the amp? Or will I have to buy a reciever to control all this? How do I get lossless music - all my music has been converted to digital, and my ultimate goal is to set up a HTPC music jukebox, but for now I just want the silence to end!

EDIT:
    Plan is to add the Rotel RSP-1068 Surround Sound AV Preamp Processor to the above components and a HTPC, eventually.
  • xixel
    • Dec 2005

You're wasting to much money if you're going to use your onboard sound as a source for such equipment, unless you're going digial out to an external dac it should be reletivly ok from an onboard card... I'd look at some m-audio solutions they're affordable cards, I used an Audiophile 192 for a while, actualy I still do but only its digital out.. I used its balanced, 1/4 TRS out, to go to my RC-1090, XLR inputs - sounded great for the money, the 192 you can prolly find for around $100-150 US, http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...e192-main.html

again, if you want to spend the money on the mid-fi components, dont settle for what works as far as a source goes... its just as important if not more

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

You could get a mini-to-RCA cable and use your computer essentially as a preamp with the Rotel 1070. If the sub is active, meaning it has its own amplification, you could use the line out on your mobo to feed it.

A cleaner solution might be to get a receiver and use a digital out from your computer. You could use it as an amp and upgrade to a separate amp later. Basically the opposite direction of the way you were going. In this case, you'd be using the receiver as a processor and wouldn't necessarily need the 1068.

You could get by using your computer as the preamp, knowing that you will upgrade later, it just wouldn't be ideal at the present.
      Danish

Comment

• b1_
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dyazdani
        A cleaner solution might be to get a receiver and use a digital out from your computer. You could use it as an amp and upgrade to a separate amp later. Basically the opposite direction of the way you were going. In this case, you'd be using the receiver as a processor and wouldn't necessarily need the 1068.
        A receiver has in built amplification right? My speakers won't work without amplification straight out of my computer as far as I know. So perhaps the RA-1070 would be better is that what you're saying. It's 100W x2. I'm not really into surround sound, only problem is the price at $1900. Basically that means minus the in-built amps it's $1000 because the RB-1070 is $900.

Originally posted by dyazdani
        You could get by using your computer as the preamp, knowing that you will upgrade later, it just wouldn't be ideal at the present.
        Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just buy the amp rather than buy an integrated amp receiver and not use the receiving part because I'm letting my computer do that part.

Am I getting confused here. All I want is to get my speakers up and running without too much expense, with the idea that I will shift this gear into my loungeroom once I'm ready, but for now let my computer do the work. I'm happy to get an M-Audio, heard about them.

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by b1_
          A receiver has in built amplification right?
          Yes.
          So perhaps the RA-1070 would be better is that what you're saying. It's 100W x2. I'm not really into surround sound, only problem is the price at $1900.
          Not exactly - you said earlier that you plan to add a RSP-1068. The RA-1070 is a 2ch integrated amp. Given your stated upgrade path, you might as well stick with the RB-1070 IMO.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just buy the amp rather than buy an integrated amp receiver and not use the receiving part because I'm letting my computer do that part.
          Yes, but again, you stated that you planned to buy a surround processor.

Am I getting confused here. All I want is to get my speakers up and running without too much expense, with the idea that I will shift this gear into my loungeroom once I'm ready, but for now let my computer do the work. I'm happy to get an M-Audio, heard about them.
          If all you care about is 2ch, then all you need is an amp. I'm just saying that you might get more out of a receiver since you could easily upgrade to a surround setup later with minimum expenditure. I.e. you would only have to add speakers. If you buy only a 2ch amp now, you have to buy a processor, additional amplification, and speakers.
          Danish

Comment

• JustinSC
            • Jul 2005

I'm doing the same type of thing until HDMI 1.3 is more available on preamplifier. Right now I have my HTPC Front L/R connected to a 2-ch amplifier via miniplug->RCA. I'm sure I'm losing some quality by using my HTPC as a processor. Eventually I want to go to a 5.1 setup using my HTPC as my processor, will I run into any problems until I wait out for a preamp?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"