X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeromew
    • Dec 2003

5 Poweramps for the RSP1066?

first, as i am new to this forum, i'd like to greet anyone.

and here goes my first question:
    i'm currently owning two Rotel RB 980 BX and two Rotel RB 981 power amplifiers. i now have the possibility to acquire one more power amplifier. that could be another 980, 981, a Rotel RB 990 or an Rotel RB 1070. That would make five power amplifiers.
    until now i only had stereo, but i'm eager to build my first HT. so i want to buy an RSP 1066. this way i could use the two 981 for the front speakers and the two 980 for the rear speakers. the fifth power amp could be used for the central speaker.
    my loudspeakers are Neat Mystique in the front and i have already bought a second pair for the rear. i still need a center and i'm probably going for the Neat Centrum.
    my room is about 5 x 6 meters.
    do you think this is a good setup? my question goes mainly for the amplifier setup, though every other comment is as well appreciated.
    furthermore i guess the RB 1070 would be the best amplifier for the center speaker, or am i wrong?

greetings,
    jeromew

------------------------------------------------

A fact of life:
    You don't get something for nothing.
    ...but you can always get problems for free...

A fact of life:
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It would be simplier to have one or two multichannel amps but there's nothing wrong with having a stack of 2 channel amps if you have the room. That said I'm not sure why you'd need 5 2 channel amps as that's 10 channels in total and it sounds like you're only doing a 5.1 system? Or are you planning on bi amping each speaker?

Comment

• jeromew
      • Dec 2003

as you say its probably easier to go along with one or two multichannel amps, but as i already own these four amps i would like to use them.
      for as long as i am interested in hifi, i always got the idea that having as much amps as possible isnt a bad idea...and that it is often better than just having one single amp.
      i am always getting a bit confused with all this bi-amping and bi-wiring...
      but as far as i understand right now, i would have two possibilities:
      1. i could use two amps for the front speakers so that one amp controls the high frequencies and the other the low frequencies. i could even mix up, that means using one 980 (or 981)for the high frequencies and one 981 (or 980) for the low frequencies. (is it bi-amping or bi-wiring?)
      i could use the same system for the rear speakers: either the two 980 or one 980 and one 981.
      2. i could use one amp for one speaker: so i could use the two 981 for the two front speakers and the two 980 for the rear speakers. in this case each speaker would be used in mono bridged mode. that would make an interesting amount of power: e.g. 360 watt RMS for the 981. and the neat speakers are really great with a lot of power. (for now i have two amps for one speaker: one 980 for the high freq. and one 981 for the low freq.)
      i would have to try the two possibilities and find out which one suits me best.
      what i would like to know is if these two possibilities are actually possible or if i am totally wrong at some point. and of course, if it would work with the RSP 1066 (although i cant see why it shouldnt, i want to be sure).

thanks for your answer,

jeromew

p.s. i took a look at your homepage, i like your HT-room. thats exactly what i would like to come up with some day...but i'm young, so there is still hope...
      ah, yes and i like dogs a lot. i saw yours (really a nice one) and she/he reminded me of the dog of a friend of mine (he's a labrador) who always watches movies with us; even at high volume he stays next to us, what makes me wonder each time how he could endure this volume level...

A fact of life:

A fact of life:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

That would be bi amping if you're powering the tweeters and woofers with different amps. You'd also obviously need two speaker cable runs per speaker. Now if you run each amp mono and still use both speaker cables you'd be bi wireing.

Personally I'd lean towards bi amping rather then running the amps in mono as the distortion usually increases in mono mode but then again running mono would be simpler from a cable standpoint so I guess try it both ways and see which you like

Comment

• zeppelin
          • May 2003

As for my case I owned 5 sets of Rotel RB970BX stereo 60x60 watts power awp. What I did was to mono bridge each of them so that I got about 180watts RMS per channel and run it with RSP1066.
          Its a total seperate powerfull 5.1 system.
          As for me I prefer bridge mono rather than bi amping so that I can drive my 6ohm speakers easily and more powerfull.

Comment

• jeromew
            • Dec 2003

Thank you for your answers. I will try it out both ways and find out how i like it best.

A fact of life:

A fact of life:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"