X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rael
    • Oct 2005

Rotel 1068 and Bass?

Hi,

I purchased the Rotel 1068/1075 combo about a month ago. I'm really enjoying them but one area that I seem to be lacking is bass. My main speakers are a pair of Linn Ninkas and while they're not exactly bass heavy to begin with, there was definitely a deeper response with my Yamaha receiver than with my current Rotel setup. I had my receiver's bass at about 2 0'clock which was enough for me and I now have the 1068 at MAX, which isn't quite enough. I feel like I need maybe a couple more notches for my taste.

I do not own a subwoofer and I have the sub Off and the main speakers set to Large and my center and surrounds set to Small. Is there another factor in calibrating my system that I haven't addressed yet? I'd rather not have to purchase a sub just yet and I don't like the bass to go THUMP THUMP THUMP; I just feel that I need a little boost.

Any ideas?
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Are you refering to surround formats or 2 channel? For 2 channel w/ analog selcted (analog bypass) the 1068 passes every frequency the source has available. Both my tuner and cd player offer deep, natural sounding bass. Most video sources offer up deeper frequencies than audio only tracks do, so a sub isn't a bad idea. Explosions, anything that rumbles, benefits greatly from a sub regardless of main speaks. Can't comment on the multi-audio formats, as I don't own any.

Comment

• bleeding ears
      • Nov 2004

have you set up the 1068 properly?

I found that the many settings altered things a lot from an almost dull overly bassy sound to almost the opposite.

It takes some time to read the manual and to try things until you get it right I think.

Start by checking the crossover setting for the front speakers and try different settings, I found this changes things quite a bit, however results may vary from setup to setup or room to room.

Pete

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bleeding ears
        have you set up the 1068 properly?

I found that the many settings altered things a lot from an almost dull overly bassy sound to almost the opposite.

It takes some time to read the manual and to try things until you get it right I think.

Start by checking the crossover setting for the front speakers and try different settings, I found this changes things quite a bit, however results may vary from setup to setup or room to room.

Pete
        When you select no sub and fronts to large, the rsp1068 send everything to the mains. hz to khz.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Hi,

It sounds like you want to suntly boos the bass to your speakers... Try the Contour Control and a LF (low frequency) setting of (say) +2 or +3 - could be just what you want..

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Also, check you dimension settings (Input menu, Options), and tailor accordingly. I currently have mine set a 3-Front and 3-Center. Your mileage may vary.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• bluesfan
              • Nov 2005

Just altering the contour bass just seems to create boom rather than proper bass.

Maybe also a cable issue. Play around with the settings.

If you got good surrounds (ie with bass units) you may get more from them by setting to large.

To me the bass sounds different depending on the format. Prologic not so good.

Comment

• Rael
                • Oct 2005

Wow, thanks for the responses.

Just to clarify, with regard to bass, I was referring to 2 channel stereo. So I'm wondering now if it really is just that my Linn speakers aren't a little whimpy in the bass after all. According to Linn's website, the frequency response in passive mode (which is how I'm running mine) is 50Hz-20KHz. As I said, I've read elsewhere that they have limited bottom end to begin with, which is a little strange since they're floor standing speakers...and it still surprises me that I didn't experience this with my Yammy receiver.

As far as the Bypass mode, using it just makes the music sound dead flat. Are you guys/gals using a sub when in bypass mode? I guess I don't understand that whole bypass feature; I understand that it "bypasses" all digital processing, but why is it that you can't use the contour controls? Why are you not able to adjust the tone in the 1068 while in analog bypass like you could with analog receivers in the old days?

Sounds like I need to start a "recommend me a sub thread"! :B

Comment

• soundhound
                  • Mar 2004

The whole purpose of "bypass" is to have the least amount of circuitry involved in the signal path. It keeps the source material true to form. Did you buy the speakers based on name recognition, or the fact that you liked the way they sounded. Not to play devils advocate, but, building a system from the outside inward is a wise way to go.
                  I have a couple of demo discs I use that have bass tracks that are unreal, and I would not have purchased the speaks I have had they not made those songs sound good to me. I do not use a sub for 2 channel, if I felt I needed one, I would look to upgrade my speaks.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                    • Nov 2004

Just another consideration, have you double checked that the wiring on your amp and speakers is correct?

If you have the wires connected the wrong way around (out of phase) it can cause a loss of bass.

I only just read this on Rotels web site.

Pete

Comment

• rdram
                      • Mar 2005

Bypass mode is just that. The analog signal bypasses everything except the volume control. If you want to use the contour controls, on the input setup menu just set the default mode to stereo.

Rich

Comment

• arrow
                        • Mar 2005

i there a way to send both super low to the mains and to the subs all at the same time like a mains+sub setting like we have on the yamaha

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Yup, set mains to large and sub to max. Won't work for bypass mode, but will for all other settings. You'll get some flack for setting it up that way though...a lot of people are against bass doubling even if it sounds better to you!

Kevin D.

Comment

• Rael
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                            Yup, set mains to large and sub to max. Won't work for bypass mode, but will for all other settings. You'll get some flack for setting it up that way though...a lot of people are against bass doubling even if it sounds better to you!

Kevin D.
                            Sounds like a plan, except I don't have a sub! (yet!)

Comment

• arrow
                              • Mar 2005

hey kevin who cares what people think they do not listen to it every day and i personaly like my bass full and powerful.. I am a bass player ok so that might have somthing to do with my need for super bass. but who knows

Comment

• bluesfan
                                • Nov 2005

Remember to set the contour through the menu not "on the fly". This makes it permanent.

Some cables are better than others for increasing bass. Otherwise dump the speaker/get a sub.

Comment

• soundhound
                                  • Mar 2004

arrow, your'e absolutely right, some of us tend to get caried away and take this far to seriously sometimes. We all purchased what we have for our own enjoyment, with our own money, and it is just that simple. The line between "science/facts" and "opinions" tend to blur on occasion, and on the right occasion its easy to pop in here and reply "I wouldn't do that". The nice part of that is many times those comments get ignored and forgotten in time.
                                  Kevin is just saying "heads up", as he has seen it many times. Its the pursuit of the "ultimate, end all" system that keeps us all coming, and other sites in the 1st place.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"