X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stev
    • Sep 2005

Bass Management Setup

Hi, just got a few questions on setup for my RSX1056. I have got my mains xover at 60hz, center at 80hz, and surrounds at 100hz. To stop the sub sounding boomy its xover setting on the 1056 is at 60hz - with the sub's own xover set at max. If my understanding is correct all LFE goes to the sub unfiltered (the 60hz setting doesnt apply ). However the bass filtered from my center and surrounds is above the 60 hz on the sub xover - is this also passed to the sub or is it lost ? Does the sub setting have to be equal or higher than the highest xover point set for speakers ? I realise the xovers roll on and off and there is an overlap but that wouldnt extend from the 60hz sub setting to the 100hz of the surrounds. Is there anywhere that this information is documented ? I cant think of a way of testing what is going on by changing these settings.

Steve
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The settings for the speakers set what goes to the speakers (above X) and goes to the sub sum (below X).

Then the sub sum (total of all speakers) gets everything above the sub crossover cut out. Then the LFE gets added in and passed to the sub.

So yes, surround info above 60hz and below 100hz gets 'cut'. But with the rolloff you you wind up only with a dip at 80hz. Might bump the sub up to 80 just to blend better with the center and surrounds, if you feel you're missing something.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Stev
      • Sep 2005

Thanks Kevin, I thought that might be the way it works. It almost defeats the purpose of having the multiple settings when the sub needs to be within probably 20hz of the highest setting. It sounds like a good idea but now having a fuller understanding of what is really happening it makes sense why most AVR's have one variable setting applicable to all speakers.

Steve

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Most have one setting for all because that's easy and for the most part works.. My center channel is going in a 'box' in my entertainment center. Putting a speaker in a box (or really close to walls) can cause boomyness in the 80-120hz range. Setting my center to 100 or 120, but leaving the sub at 60 can tame this hump. The dip created takes care of the hump.

You really need a lot of time with an SPL meter and test disc or some expensive equipment to set it up properly. I'm glad they give you the option even though most misuse it.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"