X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimRawson
    • Oct 2004

Biamping

Picked up a Rotel 1056 - first Rotel peice. Had originally ordered, due to arrive and sending back despite tempation to do a comparison, Pioneer Elite 56TXi. Had won a Rotel RB1050 (70x2) 2 channel amp and figured it was my calling (original plan was to use the extra 2 channels from the 7 channel pioneer to biamp, although all one power supply ultimately).

Was surpised at how loud the Rotel rsx is, although not as bassy as when I originally audition's my NHT speakers running off of parasound halo seps. Will adding power help this out? Surprised at how open and detailed the Rotel made my speakers sound in comparison to my temporary system before (a marantz amplifier).

Going to try this smallest Rotel 2 channel amp... My center channel is actually a bookshelf speaker (NHT SB3) which is same as the top half of my towers. The lower half is side mounted 8" woofers. Plan is to run the 1050 to the woofers and the RSX1056 for everything else. Question 2 is, will the 1050 have better drive compared to the receiver given that it's a dedicated amp and has the toroidal xfmr?.... Had also wondered if I'd benefit from using a high xover, like 120 for the sub out - use my sub's xover to cut off at 60Hz or so... Well, guess I need to experiment. Just takes time running through various listening material and was hoping someone would have instictive responses.

Imagine someday I'll just relegate the RB1050 to add the extra 2 channels for 7.1 surround.

One last question?.... Is the Rotel I picked (1056) up night and day better than the Pioneer sound?

Thanks
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Tim,

Picked up a Rotel 1056 - first Rotel piece. Had originally ordered, due to arrive and sending back despite temptation to do a comparison, Pioneer Elite 56TXi. Had won a Rotel RB1050 (70x2) 2 channel amp and figured it was my calling (original plan was to use the extra 2 channels from the 7 channel pioneer to Biamp, although all one power supply ultimately).
    Lucky you!

Was surprised at how loud the Rotel RSX is, although not as bassy as when I originally audition's my NHT speakers running off of Parasound Halo Seps. Will adding power help this out?
    Parasound Halo’s are in a whole different league to the Rotel receiver. The extra current drive they have (200W+ amps) will give tighter deeper bass. Adding more power (say a Rotel RB-1080) will help a lot and come much closer to the sound of the Parasound Halos (though you will probably never quite match it – given the price differential of the Halos!).

Surprised at how open and detailed the Rotel made my speakers sound in comparison to my temporary system before (a Marantz amplifier).
    Most people are – the Rotels are an amazing step up in quality from most receivers etc

Going to try this smallest Rotel 2 channel amp... My centre channel is actually a bookshelf speaker (NHT SB3) which is same as the top half of my towers. The lower half is side mounted 8" woofers. Plan is to run the 1050 to the woofers and the RSX1056 for everything else. Question 2 is, will the 1050 have better drive compared to the receiver given that it's a dedicated amp and has the toroidal Xfmr?
    The RB-1050 will be a little better (dedicated power, high damping) but I would really recommend you consider trading in the RB-1050 for a RB-1080 or 1070 if you can afford it… (Way more current and control!) Another idea is to get the RMB-1075 now and then the RB-1050 can go straight to rear channel use!

Had also wondered if I'd benefit from using a high Xover, like 120 for the sub out - use my sub's Xover to cut off at 60Hz or so... Well, guess I need to experiment. Just takes time running through various listening material and was hoping someone would have instinctive responses.
    Be aware that any sub-cutover above 80 Hz is likely to be increasingly audible as the ear starts to be able to directionalise sound… I would recommend starting at 80 Hz on the Rotel Receiver and leaving the actual subwoofer’s crossover as high as possible or OFF of it has that setting) so that the receiver controls all the bass processing (if you have both active they can fight each other creating bass holes. IE you want the Receiver controlling what bass it takes away from the speakers and adds to the sub so that the crossover slopes exactly match– if you activate the sub-crossover as well the sub will cut off too fast relative to the speakers with a resulting dip in response.

Imagine someday I'll just relegate the RB1050 to add the extra 2 channels for 7.1 surround.
    Good move and a better long term us for the RB-1050…
    One last question?.... Is the Rotel I picked (1056) up night and day better than the Pioneer sound?
    IMO – Yes… What do you think – you have both!

Geoff

Comment

• ht_addict
      • Dec 2002

Tim, if you have the option to do a comparison I would. The 56TXi is an amazing unit. The interenals of this receiver are topnotch( Dual Motorola DSP(180MIPS), 2x27,000uf, Burr-Brown DACs(192/24), Advance MCACC, I-Link, etc. I have a 56TXi hooked to a NADS250 driving my Paradigm Studio's and the sound is excellent.

ht_addict

Comment

• TimRawson
        • Oct 2004

Wish I could

That was once thing that drew me to the pioneer, high power motorola processing (isn't B&K a big motorola user?). The weight and size of the caps made me think it's worth a shot.

Problem is once I open the Pioneer, can't get a full refund (internet purchase). If I knew I could sell either of them for close to what I paid, I'd be tempted.
        The rotel sounds excellent with nice crisp midrange and system has good punch.

Right now only quirks I have with the Rotel is the need to hit remote for tweaking (primarily contour - some track's are bass heavy), no dts:neo button from remote (unless I'm missing something - have to drill into menu). However, most of this will remain set most of the time.

Ashamed to admit, wife-factor. SHe likes the way the rotel looks (showed he pic of Pioneer Elite).

Was listening to Mad Season (alice in chains derivative) today... SO crisp and tight.

Is pioneer tend to me smooth? I tend to right the raspier detail - is that a Rotel characteristic?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"