X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

Finally, 1077 review...

...by HiFi News. Available on Rotel's website.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Gianni,

Thanks and Here is the link to it

Geoff

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

nice read thanks

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

Nice to see a review where the amp is used to drive B&Ws. Especially the 803D.

Since I'm not to well attuned to British jargon, can anyone interpret what this reviewer means when he says certain things, ie: does " a palpable sense of tension " mean dynamics, what does "sweetening of attack in the mid and treble" mean? I can take a WAG but will probably miss the mark.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Martinf
          • Oct 2003

>> sweetening of attack in the mid and treble <<

I've met the author -- Paul Miller -- and this is his very diplomatic way of saying what I was referring to in the other thread as an inherent characteristic of PWM -- i.e. reduced dynamics the higher up the frequency spectrum you go (leading to a perceived softening of the upper treble).

Moreover, he notes that distortion increases by 0.16% at 20kHz. Not catastrophic but present, and increasing with freq nonetheless. ;-)

Interestingly, Paul also says that the listening panel had reservations about using this amp with high-resolution (i.e. DVD-A) music playback.

Also note that the review says the S/N ratio reduces from the spec 105dB to 100dB at 100W.
          I'll be back!

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

Thanks Martin,

I've always thought that all Rotel amps were slightly "rounded" on top. That's why they are my amp of choice with my slightly "bright" Klipsch Reference Speakers. In fact the 1077 sounds like it is more open, transparent and extended on to then does my RB 1080, which I have been switching back and forth with the 1077 for this past week. The top end of the 1080 doesn't sound any better in real world to these ears, the main difference is in the soundstage. With the 1080 instruments seem to originate at the speakers and extend rearward. With the 1077 everything extends forward of the speakers.

I had the opportunity to substitute a pair of 13 yo Klipsch Chorus II for my REf7 last week. I had set the CIIs up to demo for sale. I set them up with my 1080 originally, and then changed to the 1077 because the 1077 just made them sound bigger and more lively. (I sold the speakers by the way).

I found it interesting that someone used a 1077 to power a gaggel of 803d's at the HiFi show (or maybe more properly, used a gaggel of 803Ds to demo the 1077) because this is the direction I may ultimately travel.

100 db S/N is still excellent at any level. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what that says to me is that at full blast rated output the "background" is less black. Or alternatively, and more simply, along with your cannon shots there will be some noise. :T

Yes Paul did say that about SACD & DVDA, but, in balance, he also said not to make to much of that statement. Interesting that there was no comment about using the amp for 2 channel. I guess under most circumstances most people would not be using this amp for music, since it was intended for 7.1 HT application. The RB 1091 & 1092 will be the "music" amps.
            Last edited by DrJRapp; 17 November 2005, 07:54 Thursday.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by DrJRapp
              what does "sweetening of attack in the mid and treble" mean?
              This sounds like what I described in my audition of the 1077 in a 2 channel setting, the highs seemed compressed and did not have a sense of air about them.
              This amp will be good for HT use, it sounds like a movie theater amplifier, but for serious enjoyment of music it falls short.
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dan87951
                • Nov 2005

when converting analog into digital it can only interpret this signal the best it can, it will never be exact but will be close. I guess my point is are pure digital amps a step in the right direction? Let your ears decide..
                dan87951
                audio guru

Comment

• fordster
                  • Feb 2005

It's probably worth pointing out that HiFi News are a serious audio magazine (unlike some of out British magazines) so I'd read the review in a quite positive light. They have previously given good reviews to various Rotel products. I do agree though that they seem to be suggesting this a home cinema amp (although they don't actually say if they tested with 2 channel and I suspect not). Perhaps, as Jerry says, speaker choice is very important for 2 channel usage.
                  Dave

Comment

• gianni
                    • Nov 2002

Originally posted by dan87951
                    when converting analog into digital it can only interpret this signal the best it can, it will never be exact but will be close. I guess my point is are pure digital amps a step in the right direction? Let your ears decide..

Keep in mind that the 1077 is in no way a pure digital amp.

Comment

• GregLett
                      • May 2005

Is Rotel coming out with a 2 channel version of this amp?
                      Greg

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

They actually have a 500w mono block and a 500w x 2 stereo one coming out. It's being delayed until they can get it as good as the 1077, or better.

Kevin D.

Comment

• GregLett
                          • May 2005

WOW! that's alot of power.

Thanks Kevin.
                          Greg

Comment

• calmac
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Martinf
                            >> sweetening of attack in the mid and treble <<

I've met the author -- Paul Miller -- and this is his very diplomatic way of saying what I was referring to in the other thread as an inherent characteristic of PWM -- i.e. reduced dynamics the higher up the frequency spectrum you go (leading to a perceived softening of the upper treble).

Moreover, he notes that distortion increases by 0.16% at 20kHz. Not catastrophic but present, and increasing with freq nonetheless. ;-)

Interestingly, Paul also says that the listening panel had reservations about using this amp with high-resolution (i.e. DVD-A) music playback.

Also note that the review says the S/N ratio reduces from the spec 105dB to 100dB at 100W.
                            Having met many of the U.K. reviewers in the 10 or so years that I worked in the U.K. hi-fi industry the best advice I can give is to take everything that's written with a fairly large pinch of salt.
                            With regard to comments about musicality and DVD-A /Sacd reproduction it should be noted that the term 'musicality' has a slighly different connotation in the UK. where Linn & Naim redefined the term back in the 70's.In my oppinion few products approach the British understanding of the term musicality as L&N ,so to say that the 1077 showed some slight lack of the "M" word in the upper registers is perhaps not as significant in a global sense as it would be in the uk.Rotel is traditionally not considered high-end hifi but what they do very well is to produce products with well above average sound quality at an average price.The 1077 looks set to become a classic Rotel product and I am sure that with the introduction of the stereo & mono amps we will have products that surpass the very high standard already set by the 1077.
                            Gordon

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"