X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steveB
    • Mar 2003

RCD 1072 vs RCD 1070

Does anyone know if there is much difference between these 2 units?
    with the release of the 1072 there may be some good deals to be had with the 1070. On the flipside , if the 1072 is better the $$ may not count.

Any views?

Thanks
    SteveB
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

The best way is to listen to both players and compare them. Any good dealer will let you do this.

There was a review of the 1072 in What Hifi (September 2003). It was rewarded 4 out of 5 starts, where the 1070 had 5 out of 5 stars.

This is just 1 review, let your own ears do the judging.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'd see if you can find a used 991 instead as they're apparently a better sounding player.

Comment

• indyluke
        • Nov 2003

Just bought a 1070 last week and with a good cable (Acoustic Zen Digital) there is virtually no background noise. Haven't heard the 1072 but the 1070 has all my discs, especially HDCD sounding pretty awesome.

indyluke

May the audio force be with you.
        indyluke

Comment

• mazuly
          • Feb 2003

indyluke,

Are you using 1070 as a digital transport feeding it to a D/A converter digitally? If you do, you may want to try the analog outputs of the CD player since Rotel has made considerable effort trying to make the analog sound as good as possible. This is very much true specially if you are feeding it to your RSX-1065 digitally since the D/A conversion of the CD player should be better sounding than the RSX-1065. Give the analog output a try and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks,
          Maziar

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

SteveB,

I currently own the RCD 1070 paired with the Rotel RSP-1098, and I am testing the analog vs the optical output. Currently it seems the optical input (running thru the DACs of the 1098) provides the best acoustics ( quelle surprie). However I am still tweaking between the two outputs to determine which provides the best sonic quality. The DACs in the RCD 1070 are very good, and I ran them analog with the RSP-1066, but the 1098 DACs seem to surpass the DACs in the RCD-1070. Your mileage may vary depending on your equipment and media.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• Joe M
              • Jun 2002

Steve,

I am currently running the 1072 through the analog inputs of my 1066. I was planning to buy the 1070 but my local dealer was o.o.s so I picked up the 1072. I compared it to the Arcam CD72T and my old Marantz 4000 ose changer. In my system (Rotel/B&W) the Rotel CD sounded the best. In my opinion the Arcam sounded a bit bright. Arcam has a new CD player out (CD73T) which has been getting rave reviews in many British Hi-Fi mags, so you may want to check it out. As for choosing between the 1070 and 1072 I don't think you can go wrong either way. If my dealer had offered me a good deal on a new 1070 I would not have hesitated.

Comment

• indyluke
                • Nov 2003

Maziar,

I am still trying out both the analog and digital, I haven't had that much time to do some serious listening but both are sounding good and the digital cable has a little less background noise. Of course if the analog has a warmer sound I will probably go with that and use the digital cable with the DVD player.

Thanks

indyluke

indyluke

Comment

• steveB
                  • Mar 2003

I plan to run the cd player thru analogue inputs to my RSX 1065. I am more inclined to go for a Rotel over the Arcam as the Arcam will cost me about 40% more than what I can pick up the Rotel for.
                  BTW my RB 1080 will be here this week to run my 604's...cant wait.

Cheers
                  SteveB

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"