X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mac7719
    • Nov 2003

Upgrade to RSP-1098?

There have been a number of posts around the slowdown in traffic on the forums lately, so I thought I'd jump in. I have been in the background for 6 months or so and definitely benefited from many of the discussions on HTGuide. I have had my system for about 8 months and done a few upgrades (CATCables, Musical Fidelity DAC). As my dealer offers 100% purchase cost toward upgrades in the first year, I am trying to decide if I should upgrade from my RSP-1066 to a 1098. I am primarily interested in improving stereo music performance. I am curious if anyone has seen improvement in CD playback, when making this change. I assume I will continue to use my MF DAC and therefore only use the pre-amp stage in the 1098. Here is my system, as it stands today.

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Rotel RDV-1060
    Musical Fidelity A324 DAC
    Dynaudio Contour S1.4 (mains)
    Dynaudio Contour SC (center)
    Dynaudio Audience 40 (rears)
    REL Q201

Thanks for any feedback.

--Mike
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome to the club Yes there has seemed to be a slowdown on more than just HTGuide as of late, I wish I knew why...?

Sounds like some nice equipment you have there. I'm sure you're as happy with your 1066 as I am. That said, most people who have made the leap to the 1098 have reported improved surround as well as stereo performance. I'm sure Andrew and others can make more informative comments on this once they read your post. If given the funds I'm sure I'd be next in line to upgrade to it too. (If the girlfriend would promise not to kill me for it :roll: ) What it comes down to though, is that you really have to go listen to it for your self and decide if the extra money after your trade-in is worth it to you. I know a lot of other people have decided it's worth it Me, I refuse to go listen to it for fear of wanting it and then rath of my girlfriend for me then finding a way to buy it :LOL:

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The biggest thing I noticed when I upgraded to the 1098 was how much cleaner the music sounded...so much so my jaw litterally hit the floor when i first turned on one of my favorite CD's. I'd suggest you go listen to the 1098 but honestly don't do it unless you're ready to buy it

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Mike,

I also owned the 1066, before upgrading to the 1098. I utilized the upgrade policy and have not regretted it. I dealt with my wife's rath when I performed the upgrade, she said take it back, I told her I can't.

Is the upgrade worth twice the price, I would unequivocally say yes, the sonic improvements are remarkable. Would I deal again with my wife's grief, yes I would.

Now the 1066 is no slouch, and I would highly recommend it, but if you ask my opinion and the opportunity affords itself, you would not regret upgrading to the 1098. Remember money is one thing but your significant other is indeed a variable to consider in your decision (I figure they will get over it eventually), but only you can weigh it's worth.

Warning, don't go listen to it unless you are prepared to purchase it.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I never had the privilege of owning a 1066 but I'll tell you, the 1098 is jaw-dropping, as Andrew says. I listen to a lot of 2-channel music and I simply cannot believe its performance. Especially noteworthy is the sonic improvements with the most recent firmware upgrade. It sounded awesome before but now it is even better.

Jim
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• jimmyp58
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I forgot to mention that with your Rotel dvd-a player, the 1098 allows you to see the dvd-a menu on the tft rather than your tv screen. I was concerned about this as I didn't want a static picture on my hd rptv. I was considering the Anthem AVM-20 and the 1098 and this was one of the factors that pushed me toward the 1098.

Jim
            jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
              The biggest thing I noticed when I upgraded to the 1098 was how much cleaner the music sounded...so much so my jaw litterally hit the floor when i first turned on one of my favorite CD's. I'd suggest you go listen to the 1098 but honestly don't do it unless you're ready to buy it

See Mac7719! This why I refuse to go listen to the darn thing!

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• mac7719
                • Nov 2003

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like an overwhelming "yes". I should be able to borrow a unit from my dealer to try in my room. Hopefully I can find time to disconnect and reconnect all of those cables other the holidays. Anyway, here are a couple of other questions that came to mind...

1) I read on the forum that the 1066 sends a copy of all music below 100Hz to the sub when the MULTI input is used. Has this changed on the 1098? Has the MULTI input become a try analog passthrough?

2) With the exception of bass copying, are there any differences between using the left/right MULTI inputs and the CD analog inputs on the 1066? How about the 1098?

3) Assuming that analog inputs are used, what is the function of a preamp. It obviously has volume control and switching capability. I assume both of these functions are performed directly on the analog signal (no digital conversion). If this is the true, is the sonic improvement of the 1098 over the 1066 due to better components in the signal path and a better power supply? Those are the only two things that make sense to me. I'd love a brief education on this subject.

Thanks again and sorry for the component 101 questions ops: .

--Mike

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by mac7719
                  1) I read on the forum that the 1066 sends a copy of all music below 100Hz to the sub when the MULTI input is used. Has this changed on the 1098? Has the MULTI input become a try analog passthrough?
                  The 1098's bass management is apparently worlds ahead of the 1066. That is one of the things that I think attracted a lot of 1066 owners to it at first. The improved sonics were icing on the cake. Also as I understand it, the 1066's analog in's are infact a straight passthrough. The bass is copied from the pass through and it is sent to the sub. So techincally the copied (ie: double bass) is not straight passthrough but the rest of the channels are.

2) With the exception of bass copying, are there any differences between using the left/right MULTI inputs and the CD analog inputs on the 1066? How about the 1098?
                  If I understand what you're asking then yes you can use the analog multi-in's connected to your DVD player, use it as your CD player and not have to connect the seperate 2-channel output to a CD input to listen to CD's. I recently asked about that myself and it's working like a dandy on my 1066/Denon1600 combo at home. I don't see why the 1098 would be any different.

3) Assuming that analog inputs are used, what is the function of a preamp. It obviously has volume control and switching capability. I assume both of these functions are performed directly on the analog signal (no digital conversion). If this is the true, is the sonic improvement of the 1098 over the 1066 due to better components in the signal path and a better power supply? Those are the only two things that make sense to me. I'd love a brief education on this subject.
                  I believe yes, the signal path etc. as you stated might make the difference there. The other possibility is that because the 1098 employs better dac's than the 1066 people might be using it's internal dac's rather than their players now. That could account for the improvement as well but I'm sure one of the 1098 owners can better answer that one.

Thanks again and sorry for the component 101 questions ops:.
                  There are no dumb questions , besides that's what these forums are for

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Yes you now have an option in the menu on how you want the analog inputs to function.

With the latest firmware you can make the analog inputs on the 1066 function like the multi inputs if you want. For the 1098 you can essentailly do what ever you want given the incredible flexibility it has. For example pressing the stereo button will toggle between a stereo mode that could have the subwoofer engaged vs a true analog bypass.

Yup that's basically it for the most part. Some processors take a copy of the incoming analog signal and digitize it to get the LFE track if the user wants it but a copy of the unaltered signal is usually still sent to the mains but by and large when using a true analog bypass mode the pre amp simply controls the volume and acts as a switch for the source.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"