• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radim
    • Feb 2004

rotel + B&W or Dynaudio

Hello.
    I have a rotel combo 1098/1095.
    I would like to buy new speakers for my HT system.
    My dilemma is b&w N803s (+other speakers from this line to complete 5.1. HT set) and Dynaudio Contour S3.4 or S5.4 (+other).

The problem is, I cannot listen those speakers at once. Every dealer is in the other city and has of course others electronics, cabels, room acoustic, etc...

What's your opinions and experiences ?

Thanks,radim
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Well in my opnion Dynaudio sound alot better then B&W. level vs level Dynaudio wins hands down for me.

The New Contour line is unbelievable. This would be an easy decesion for me. B&W N series speakers are really good untill you listen side by side with Dynaudio Contour.

Dan

Comment

• radim
      • Feb 2004

Thanks for your reply.
      Did you try dynaudio controur serie with the rotel equipment ?
      What do you think about their highs ? I think, are they pleasenter, then B&W ?
      Are they (highs tone) unwearying (after the long listening) ? It's problem IMO the B&W speakers with the rotel.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

It's funny reading this, as I am one of the few that prefer the B&Ws to the Dynaudio, to me they are too laid back and "warm." For whatever that really equates to...

To my ears, the Rotel and B&W is just about perfect. I can listen to hours and hours on end to my system... Where I felt like I was missing out on information with the Dynaudio. Like they weren't clear in the upper range.

Just goes to show everyone's ears are completely different.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• dpolmann
          • Dec 2004

I listened to Dynaudio with Musical Fidelity source and amps, and did not prefer that to B&W with Rotel. I found the Dynaudio too "warm" as PewterTA suggested - too much mid range emphasis and too much bass. The salesman was very excited about the bass response of Dynaudio. In fact, he traded his personal B&W speakers to get Dynaudio for his own use. I much preferred the sound of B&W. Clean and refreshing in the mid and bass, with clear highs as well. My opinion.
          Don

Comment

• gianni
            • Nov 2002

Do you need or want full range speakers?

If not audition some of the better M&K's. Pay no attention to what salespeople who do not carry them say about them being a HT speaker only. Properly setup these are to die for on music also. Of course, you'll need a sub.

I know they are not real popular on this forum, but do not under estimate them.

Comment

• n3philim
              • Feb 2004

Hi radim,

I'm a fan of Dynaudios and prefer their sound to the B&W's. I used to use B&Ws before getting a pair of Contours. But B&Ws are still great speakers. As always, it's really preference. I prefer the Dynes as, to me, they are more clinical sounding.

But, once again, the upgrade bug has bitten me. I will actually be upgrading my Dynes soon. I'm getting a Von Schweikert Audio (VSA) VR4jr. I'm actually just waiting for them to arrive. The Bass and and lower mid-range of these speakers are just amazing. Sound stage is also huge with their VR technology. You might want to check them out. I've heard the Dynaudio C5.4 and the VSA VR4 III HSE, hands down the VSA kicked its ass. Components used were Mark Levinson DAC/Pre/PowerAmp.

Just thought you'd like to add VSA to your audition list.

Comment

• stazzatleta
                • Feb 2005

Hi, my Rotel "chain" is composed by RSP 1066+RMB976mk2 and a pair of RMB850, attached 5 speakers from Dynaudio Audience series 122 +122C and 42W.

I must say Rotel works pretty good even with low loads (4Ohms) and even it's not suggested in bridged configuration to go lower than 8Ohm.

I've prefered Dyns speaker because in comparisons made with the B&W's of same level, I've much appreciated the voices and the low frequencies (much more controlled).

IMHO B&W are emphatized at the limits of the range, so they will impress you at a first listening, but the Dyns are much more realistics.

Comment

• radim
                  • Feb 2004

I think that "stazzatleta" has right with the realistic of dyns.
                  But with the oldies records it may be quite a problem ???
                  I must say I'm not decidable till today.
                  I prefer dyns:b&w in the ratio of 60:40 (maybe 70:30 ??? ).
                  It isn't the easy conclusion.

Comment

• cmr15
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by radim
                    Thanks for your reply.
                    Did you try dynaudio controur serie with the rotel equipment ?
                    What do you think about their highs ? I think, are they pleasenter, then B&W ?
                    Are they (highs tone) unwearying (after the long listening) ? It's problem IMO the B&W speakers with the rotel.

I have dynaudio 52se's coupled with Rotel gear and I am very pleased. The 52se has the drivers of the older contour series in an audiecence box. I realize that it's not a direct comparison to the contours which you mentioned. I A-B listened to them against the B&W 705 and 805 and prefered the dyns.

To me it came down to the sound of a soft-dome tweeter v. a metal dome tweeter. They all sounded great, but a prefer the "softer" upper registers of the silk dome tweeter to the metal tweeters. Also, the dyns where a bit less expensive.

Go listen to the speakers again and try to concentrate on the sound of the tweeters. That may help you.

Some have said that the dyns seem a bit "laid back" as compared to the b&w's. I think that that is true. If you like the sound stage a bit forward, you may be displeased with the dyns.

Hope this helps

Craig

Comment

• DanR
                      • Dec 2004

Personally I prefer the B&W's. Midrange is clearly better. Good match with the Rotel gear as well.
                      :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• lvhung
                        • Jun 2005

Dynaudio doesn't sound good with movie material
                        BW in this section are much better
                        But in the music BW is far behind
                        I also prefer the Dyn

Because Dyn entry level audience is exelent
                        but BW DM series was a trap for many audio new beginner

:T

Comment

• Zoran
                          • Apr 2005

It is probably too hard, if possible, to make a reliable decision which one - B&W od Dynaudio - makes better overall quality. Having owned/enjoyed (DM310/602/604/N805) or listen at audio shops (entire P & CDM series, plus newer pieces like N803/804, 703 etc) various B&W’s last 15 years, and simultaneously getting extensive insight into Dynaudio sound (based on standmounts only - Audience 52, Contour 1.3MkII/1.3SE, Confidence C1) at friend of mine’ place, I’ve developed a quite stable set of impressions:

Bass. In my experience, Dyns have apparently better low response. Overhere 60-65% of credits to Dynaudio! My first encounter with small entry model Audience 52 was shocking for my ears familiarised to lower or modest B&W standmount bass performance. Dynaudio standmounts show low-end extension and decibels in almost abundance, but slightly stilling a bit space from midrange. Countour 1.3MkII/1.3SE show the same tendency - exception is, of course, Confidence C1. Far the best speaker I’ve heard. I could not imagine a better standmount sized speaker.

Midrange. This is a field hard to beat B&W. Skipping wider analysis, I’d say that 55% of credits go on B&W conto. Details to die for, perfect clarity... Entry level Bowers DM clearly beat entry level Dyn Audience series. Moving up - compared my (recently sold) Nautilus 805 to Dynaudio Contours (same price tag), I found B&W a tad better in mids. No matter how subtle distance is... I don’t say Dyns lack such a qualities, but... Perhaps superior bass simply directs listener’s attention elsewhere. Exception - Confidence C1.

Highs. I think sinergies with electronics and other things (recording, room acoustics, listener taste...) play the game here. I would agree that soft-dome tweeters sound somehow more musical and apparently less fatiguing - but combined with other things I pointed above. Metal-dome tweeter might be iritating, but in fact delivers more authentical information from source. Soft-dome sound is very pleasant but delivers slightly edited - sweetened - information. Matter of personal choice. I would be deadly curious to see B&W with soft-dome tweeter one day...

I’d stop here for saving space and (your) time. Fully aware a good deal of audio fellows might have different impressions, but... Do you know thw best solution? Buy both Dyn and B&W. Enjoyment have (at least) two sides.

Cheers,

Zoran, Macedonia

Comment

• Taito
                            • Sep 2004

Otherwise, you could give JM Lab a try. I found that it is somewhere between the two. Comparing 704's vs. Cobalt 826S vs. Audience 72se, I found the Dyns a little to warm and laid back, while the 704's lacked bass weight. To me, the Cobalts sounded 'right'. The gave me the best of both worlds. Check them out!

-Ben
                            Last edited by Taito; 18 June 2005, 22:29 Saturday. Reason: typo

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

I don't have nearly the experience with Dynaudio as Zoran has, but I did listen to the Contour S 3.4 and I immediately didn't like them. I found them to sound flat and two-dimensional, extremely laid back and not at all engaging. A very big disappointment to me. I had high hopes for them considering their seemingly popularity. Personally, I found the Dynaudio Contour S 3.4s out classed when compared to the B&W 804S's
                              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• lvhung
                                • Jun 2005

Cobalt 816S : GReaaaaaat
                                For it is not the time for JMlab at the moment

Comment

• Zoran
                                  • Apr 2005

Interesting.

All discussions here related to three global compiting brands: B&W, Dynaudio and Focal JMLab. What they have in common is production of loudspeakers BASED ON THEIR OWN DRIVERS - self-designed and self-manufactured.

It is maybe a coincidence, but also may indicate that such an approach results in quality and widest market approval. Does it? I can’t recall another speaker manufacturer, at least in Europe, which base manufacture on self-developed drivers?

Have not had any experience with JM Lab speakers, except short insights in audio shops abroad, so I cannot evaluate them appropriately. Only impressions through audio forums - some people assess them overengineered, moody, lean in bottom-end, and - often overpriced (last complain deserved by other two contenders as well). Like other French audio products... Though, Utopia line provides some of the finest speakers into specific price segments - Micro B is considered as one of the best standmounts available. Grande Utopia fights for absolute top end...
                                  Last edited by Zoran; 22 June 2005, 19:42 Wednesday.

Comment

• eelco74
                                    • Dec 2002

I have build loudspeakers myselft with focal.jmlab drivers myself. I have all the equipment needed to do MLSSA measurements and determine TS paramaters

Focal made excellent drivers, well engineered and very well build. Only the kevlar units were a bit tricky to filter. its a shame the stopped producing units for the DIY market

Anyway, since I build my own speakers I am very critical. That a problem since the speakers I really like are way out of my financial budget.

I like the B&W's a lot, I find the build quality superb. However the metal dome tweeter annoys me a lot. It is such a shame, because I really like the nautilus 805. But HF is a bit overpronounced.

Dynaudio has a very forward sound, wich I really like. However the soundstage is not very 3d and it sometimes lacks detail. It probably depends on the driving amp to make a good match. BTW if you like Dynadio, but want more precision, check out Totem. They use Dynaudio drivers, but do it just a bit different.

I own Jmlabs Electra 906 monitor. It sounded very simular tot the older Muni utopia. The Mini uptopia has better damping and even less coloured midband. For a focal speaker it sounds pretty warm, without losing the excellent high frequency detail. The soundstage is deep, but not as deep as the nautilus 805. But the tioxid dome in the Focal is so mutch more pleasant to listen to. The intrucuction of the new minu Utopia B made the gap with the current electra 906 a bit bigger again. However they made a limited edition of the 906, 928 and 938 with a Berillium twetter like the Utopia. Check out if you can find a 907BE, 927BE or 937BE. They are a real bargain for the price asked.

Jmlab has a new range, between the Electra and the Cobalt. It is called the Profile and it looks very promising.
                                    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                                    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                                    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"