X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Adding second amp

I currently have a Rotel RB-1070 amp and RC-1070 preamp. I am considering adding another RB-1070 to biamp my N804. My ASW800 sub is using the second pre outs on my preamp. If I were to add another amp how would I hook my sub up since the second pre out would be used for second amp?
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

You would need "Y" adaptors... anyway you should try to change your amp for a better more powerfull one instead of byamping (IMO).

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

I considered the RB-1080 (too many fuse, etc probelms) plus it is only 70 watts/ch more. The 1090 is out of my price bracket.

Comment

• Marlboroman
        • Aug 2005

Then you should get the second RB-1070 but instead of biamping just run each amp in bridged mode and you can still use the second set of preouts for you subwoofer. You N-804s will love the power.

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

The 1070 can be bridged? if so, cool, and great idea for his budget

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Don't believe I can use the RB-1070 bridged with my N804 since the amp requires a minimum impedence of 8 ohms when bridged.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

maybe I'm one of the few, but I just don't believe in this whole psuedo biamping giving that much better sound. Will it be a little bit louder... yep...it better be...but will the quality improve. Not much.

You're better to save up and get a bigger amp (as in how you said the 1090 is too much money). Or look to something like the Rotel 2ch/500watt digital amp when it comes out, or NuForce Ref 9s... They will give you a LOT better sound than biamping to RB-1070s.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Karanthes
                • Oct 2005

PewterTA, I have b&w 703's with Primare SPA21 and A30.2. Each with about 120W or 300VA for each channel (total 1.2 kVA with both amp's). First I only had the SPA21. I wasn't satisfied with the bass, actually quite disappointed. I was considering a sub, but tried adding the A30.2, which is "identical" to the SPA21 as a two-channel amp. The result was stunning :E . Deeper bass and much tighter. There is no magic or hype in this. The speakers simply got more current to control the elements.

Miner, you should just try, the result depends on how well your current amp works. For me bi-amping resulted in a whole lot more of rock'n'roll :-y

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Karanthes
                  PewterTA, I have b&w 703's with Primare SPA21 and A30.2. Each with about 120W or 300VA for each channel (total 1.2 kVA with both amp's). First I only had the SPA21. I wasn't satisfied with the bass, actually quite disappointed. I was considering a sub, but tried adding the A30.2, which is "identical" to the SPA21 as a two-channel amp. The result was stunning :E . Deeper bass and much tighter. There is no magic or hype in this. The speakers simply got more current to control the elements.

Miner, you should just try, the result depends on how well your current amp works. For me bi-amping resulted in a whole lot more of rock'n'roll :-y
                  So, did you use one amp for mid/highs and the other for bass? The RB-1070 manual states to use only an 8 ohm load when bridging. My N804 are 4 ohm.

Comment

• Karanthes
                    • Oct 2005

Yes, one amp for mid/highs and the other for bass. I doubt your N804's are 4 ohm nominal, looking at the 804S it has 8 ohm nominell and down to 3 ohm. If you like me use one amp for the bass, the amp also see an infinitely high resistance in the low pass filter. 4 ohm :W The important issue here is that your amp has some output impedance, and the cable also add something. Max cable impedance for the B&W's I've checked is 0.1 ohm. Your Rotel probably has 0.03-0.05 in output impedance, didn't see it in the spec.

Why don't you just try running the 1070 as mono amp for one speaker? Start at low levels if you're in doubt or ask your dealer. Only that test might answer whether your bass response will improve with another 1070, the increase current/power resources might do the trick. Just do it :righton:

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"