X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corysmith01
    • Feb 2005

Receiver vs. adding amp

I posted a few days ago asking about the differences bt a 1055/1056. I'm on the used market looking to get a new receiver. Reason being is that I just acquired some new 4 ohm speakers. I currently have a Denon AVR-3805. A fairly robust receiver, but I still have read that the likes of Rotel and NAD might be better suited, if going the receiver route, for 4 ohm speakers. Well, I'm now wondering if an amp might be a better solution. BUT, I'm trying to figure out what's best for the money as I'm not loaded with cash.

So, the way my brain has broken it down is like this:

Scenario A: Sell the 3805 (+~$500) and purchase used 1056 (~$750). So, my total out of pocket cost is a mere $250. Not bad.

-OR-

Scenario B: Keep the 3805 and buy an RB 1050 ($400 new/~$300 used) or an RB 1070 ($700 new/ ~$475-$500 used). In this scenario, my out of pocket is anywhere from $300 on the low end to $700 on the high end.

I'm in a very small room and never need to crank my system, so keep that in mind...just in case this comes down to pure power based suggestion. I'm in an apartment and am always at low to moderate levels. Oh, and it's a 2.1 system. No center (I just run phantom). No surrounds.

So, I guess I'm torn bt. what to do. The $250 outlay (A) seems tempting as it's so little out of pocket. But, just adding a piece of gear (B) as opposed shipping/receiving seems a lot easier...though more costly.

Given the two choices, what would you guys chose? I've deliberated this for a while and can't come to a definitive conclusion. They both seem like good options. But am I missing something? Is there a clear winner? Thanks for the help.
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

Cory,

As 1055 owner I'd advise you to go with the 1056. The Rotel receivers excel at music compared to most in this price range. The amp sections are very good for a receiver.

If you do a search, you'll see where I did some testing with an amplifier over 3 times the price of the RB-1070 and found very few advantages. This was with 4 ohm speakers of about 89db sensitivity in a medium sized room.

Unless you really need the power, I doubt an outboard amp will do as much for you as would an RSX-1056. The preamp section also affects sound quality and Rotel did a good job on the RSX-105x series receivers.

Comment

• mike c
      • Dec 2005

you have to do a side by side comparison of the features of both the denon and rotel receivers and see if there are features you can live without.

Comment

• calmac
        • May 2005

Originally posted by mike c
        you have to do a side by side comparison of the features of both the denon and rotel receivers and see if there are features you can live without.
        You have to do a side by side comparison of the Denon and Rotel and see if there is sound quality you can't live without
        Gordon

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

If sound quality is one of the driving forces, I'd strongly consider just the receiver upgrade. The sound quality of the preamp section in the Rotel is better than the Denon and that makes a huge difference over all. If you don't/can't listen at high volumes and don't need the extra power, then the the sperate amp just doesn't make sense. Only if you plan on using the amp as a stepping stone to seperates, does it make sense. Plus you wouldn't be losing much in terms of power anyway. The AVR-3805 is rated at 120 w/ch with only two channels driven and the RSX-1056 is rated at 100 w/ch with two channels driven.

You wouldn't be losing much in the way of features to make the change in receivers so that shouldn't be a concern.

Best of luck.

Eric

Comment

• cfrizz
            • Apr 2006

I would go with a separate amp rather than another receiver. That way you can keep the amp whenever you decide to upgrade either to another receiver or to go to a preamp instead.
            Cathy
            ---------
            Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• dmcgowan
              • Sep 2003

Cory,

Based on my experience the past week, make sure you let your ears decide through your speakers...

But given you're talking about 2ch music, I suspect the RSX-1056 will be the better choice.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"